Super Group Base PVP Suggestions

• Retired Game Master

Earlier today, some discussions on the HC Discord prompted the idea of being able to toggle PVP inside of SG bases. Some folks even discussed the fun activities they could do. Like Role Playing, Raiding, etc.

What are your thoughts on the idea of being able to toggle PVP on and off inside of SG bases?

• Like 2

If this should come to pass, I would greatly appreciate some sort of warning system before you enter a base with PvP enabled.  Say you try to enter Joe Schmoe's SG base, and Joe Schmoe has PvP toggled on for his SG base.  Before actually entering the base, I would like to see some sort of warning.  "Joe Schmoe SG has the PvP flag enabled.  Do you accept this?  Y/N"  Yes, you go into the base.  No, you don't enter.

• Like 1

Not one more minute should be spent on this.

An arena terminal in a base sure. (if not already available)

Enabling base raids sure.

Making bases effectively open pvp zones.. it could get exploited.

To save space: @Snow0wl in response to your comment below, Sparky clearly asked for thoughts. Labeling my thoughts, seriously?! You've basically justified my comments.

I didn't mention 'game breaking' or even think of the exploits you came up with. Lesson: Never underestimate players.

Also, your reference is not mentioned by Sparky: "People just want to change things up make different maps to pvp on using the base system.".

Edited by Troo
corrected speelz and added comment
  • Confused 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Such a reactionary post with no details of these game breaking exploits you're so worried about. So very informative and helpful.  Of course the Homecoming team wouldn't let drops happen and other then that what exploits are you worried about .  People just want to change things up make different maps to pvp on using the base system.

* A warning to let you know if a base has pvp toggled on , would be good maybe you set your base to pvp and when characters enter they then have the option to flag themselves this way maps could be made  and players could also just be spectators and watch .

* Maybe be able to make safe rooms in the editor that unflag so players could make hospitals and such

* Even though I no longer actively pvp or Rp in this game the fun and depth this could bring to those communities would be great and there is no reason to not to add if it is possible as long as it's tested and things are put in place that disallow recipe drops and such , and don't trap players in the base in some infinite  cycle of being killed over and over and not being able to escape.

Edited by Snow0wl

26 minutes ago, Troo said:

Making bases effectively open pvp zones.. it'll could get exploited.

I loathe PvP with a passion.  I refuse to enter a PvP zone for any reason whatsoever.  That said, as long as there is some sort of warning system in place to alert the player that a SG base has PvP enabled before you can enter, I don't see the big deal.

I think you could safely circumvent the concerns by allowing players to modify their own PvP tag at will. I think this would also be a cool addition to AE.

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

26 minutes ago, Lines said:

It would have to be an opt-in kinda deal.

I think it could be fun. It would be great to come along as a spectator and see what arenas people build.

Why? As with everything else base related it should be a setting only the sg leader can set on or off imo or toggle who can set it on or off.

If someone wants their base to be open pvp for those who enter that should be their choice. No one forces anyone into a base. And they are easy to instantly leave just by doing a quick relog.

2 hours ago, Troo said:

Making bases effectively open pvp zones.. it could get exploited.

To save space: @Snow0wl in response to your comment below, Sparky clearly asked for thoughts. Labeling my thoughts, seriously?! You've basically justified my comments.

I didn't mention 'game breaking' or even think of the exploits you came up with. Lesson: Never underestimate players.

Also, your reference is not mentioned by Sparky: "People just want to change things up make different maps to pvp on using the base system.".

Im not sure why youd be so adamant against this. Its a purely just for fun idea not something that would come with rewards or in any way be able to abuse players, as if your a member that doesnt like it quit, if you enter a base and dont like it leave. It is fact a far more for fun PVP with no carrot being dangled to lure the non pvpers into it like places like the pvp zones do with temp power rewards.

I know of someone building an amazing space ship/outer space themed base right now including enemy ships and fire fight light effects. It would be a perfect place for example for good kheldians vs evil nictus fights etc.

They wouldnt be open pvp zones they would be controlled pvp arenas with the sg leader as the one in control of if its on or off. Oh and News flash PVP was exploited on live in open world pvp zones. It was the main way they got used. Typically an sg alongside an allied VG would simply get together and take turns killing each other for reward drops. They could keep control because they were large groups, so legit pvpers either got hunted or forced out. Its one of the reasons coh pvp became a laughing stock among MMO. Because it was exploiting farmer types mainly using the system.

HC has already removed that by making pvp io recipes drop everywhere. So what actual exploit are you worried about I am truly wondering?

Edited by Bentley Berkeley

7 minutes ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

Why? As with everything else base related it should be a setting only the sg leader can set on or off imo or toggle who can set it on or off.

If someone wants their base to be open pvp for those who enter that should be their choice. No one forces anyone into a base. And they are easy to instantly leave just by doing a quick relog.

Bases have a few functions, so toggling it as either open pvp or not seems a little ham-fisted to me.

I'm just thinking something as simple as an arena terminal or even a command that allows individuals to opt in. That way we can have a breather after loading in, do our business if we need to, and spectate if we don't want to be involved. It'd open up homebrew gamemodes too.

2 minutes ago, Lines said:

Bases have a few functions, so toggling it as either open pvp or not seems a little ham-fisted to me.

I'm just thinking something as simple as an arena terminal or even a command that allows individuals to opt in. That way we can have a breather after loading in, do our business if we need to, and spectate if we don't want to be involved. It'd open up homebrew gamemodes too.

Here is how I view it. A Base is basically that SG leaders Pocket D and they are that zones DJ Zero. If you enter into their domain you play by their rules. When we are in the D we cant fight because Zero says. If you come onto midnight island and I want us to be able to fight it should be my, and my officers call if its an option. People come to bases by invite as is via the passcode system, now if people want to make that public and leave pvp on and make it a wild west, again their base their soul call imo.

People could using the current editor and just being actual friends plotting something fun have king of the kill type play simply by saying first group to hold said location wins. Same with capture the enemy base, or controlling multiple location pvp type play all could be done the way this idea clearly is meant to be in the spirit of, a for fun event between players wanting to have actual fun together.

For example say I dont want people using meta pvp builds Id simply say no meta non RP builds should be there, if I see one Ill shut off pvp. That is basically the way I would want the sg leader to be in control and dictate the terms.

This isnt about serious competition, nor even balance, its about a way for like minded players in their private space to have the fun they want to have. No dif then those with S&M kink fetish rpsgs that are not for the non ERP players at all. What we choose to do in our private domains is our concern alone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lines said:

I havea  feeling few SGs would leave it toggled on. I imagine it would more be used by SGs for creating inter group RP battles, or fight club type of get togethers to see who is toughest. And when it comes to RP battles its very likely events have been scripted and the winner possibly even determined prior based on RP story plots. The fight could easily be far more about play acting then serious pvp in such groups and would certainly be the main way Id see myself and my SG using it since then such concerns as balance go out the window because its about story first and foremost.

I don't see it a whole lot differently, and I have RP in mind with the suggestion that players opt themselves in, as well as a leader-set flag.

Plus, pinching a bit of the arena interface could mean setting up teams, which would need a bit of out-of-combat organisation. You could build bases with a capture the flag kind of deal. Or nemesis-staff-soccer. Folks would come up with PvP ideas that don't just involve punching one another. It'd be great fun!

Edited by Lines
Replaced 'football' with 'soccer' because I remembered my audience.

Pet pathing in Bases would need to be fixed first.  My Henchpets always just hang out at the entry portal whenever I enter a base.  If I dismiss them and resummon them, they have a helluva time understanding different elevations inside the base, and will freeze if I ever walk up a flight of stairs or jump on a box.

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Pet pathing in Bases would need to be fixed first.  My Henchpets always just hang out at the entry portal whenever I enter a base.  If I dismiss them and resummon them, they have a helluva time understanding different elevations inside the base, and will freeze if I ever walk up a flight of stairs or jump on a box.

Base raids existed before I joined Live, but I remember being told 'pathing' was one of the main reasons it went pear-shaped and got shut off. Not entirely sure what they were referring to, but it might be connected.

1 hour ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Its likely even worse now with out outside the ol bunker base building. I notice my PA almost never moves if in the new expanded area.

Partly why I think this actually is ok though. Its meant to be just for fun, and well if some powers etc dont work so be it. I mean we cant teleport in the above roof bases either.

Enabling PvP in an SG base would be a potential nightmare with the current base editor. Back on live (before I13 when base raids were disabled) bases had to meet strict layout requirements to be able to be used for base raids to ensure base designers couldn't do things like have enemy players spawn into a room full of defensive items with no exits, for example. If any further development time is going to be spent on PvP I think the PvP community would like to see bugfixes and balancing passes first.

EDIT: Obligatory plug for Phase Shift still being broken in PvP

Edited by macskull

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube