Shield Defence for Sentinels+Shield Toss primary

Could Shield defence be ported over to Sentinels also?

Instead of Shield Charge it could be Shield Throw/Toss. It would be a ranged attack that bounces between targets similar to Chain induction in electric melee but with shield animation, longer cooldown and higher damage. 

Phalanx fighting could just be a small auto defence buff. 

Grant cover could work for ranged team mates.

Against all the odds turned into a frontal cone +damage maybe or a +damage buff on a cooldown.

Any other ideas that could work? Or bad idea?

Some Shield throwing attacks would be cool also.  A Shield Toss primary set to go with shield defence would be awesome.

Captain america Style 🙂

• Like 2

I think there's two major reasons there's no Shield Throw power in the game.

1. There's no way for an FX effect to inherit color or geometry from your character's costume selections

2. The set is about defending yourself with a shield, and you can't use your shield to defend yourself if you've thrown it at an enemy.

Also, some of those Elemental Shield options are clearly meant to be your character using their control over that element to create an barrier to block with, not a physical object you could throw at someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's also the animations issue. Shield Defense is incompatible with several melee sets due to animations conflicting, so that would have to be taken into account for all blast primaries (AR/Archery/BR would probably be right out, but other sets might need tweaks / new animations / need to be blocked). I'd imagine this is the reason it was initially excluded.

• Thanks 1

I think the issue with porting is that almost all blast sets have two armed animations that would require addressing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Some ranged powers however do work on Scrappers and Stalkers that take them from their epic pools, so perhaps blast sets might not be that incompatible with shield as one might think. Still, some is not all, but never the less it's a start.

There's plenty of melee animations involving the left or both arms that aren't denied access to Shield. You'd just have to make it incompatible with the weapons: Dual Pistols, Bow and both Rifles. The rest I can't imagine would be a big deal.

(Edit: forgot Bow)

Edited by Tugzug

I would love Shield Defense on Sentinels, but personally because I want to one-hand an assault or beam rifle while holding a SWAT ballistic shield. If it’s possible to make context-sensitive animations that is; I know the Ghost Slayer Axe is swung one-handed when used with a shield.