Hoping for Costume help

Hello all! I hope you're having a fantastic day.

I was hoping to have people's opinions/advice on costumes.

When making characters, I make a costume that fits that character, but I often run into issues coming up with alternative costume ideas, or reasons to switch to these alternate costumes.

My character is currently level 35, and I have done the lvl 20 and 30 tailor missions for additional outfit slots, but... What kind of costume should I make with all these outfit slots? I'm just running the original costume slot right now.

Please offer me some advice/opinions on what types of costumes to make. I seem to have missed the day they were handing out creative genes...

Thank you!

Just now, Taarie.Sinclaire said:

When making characters, I make a costume that fits that character, but I often run into issues coming up with alternative costume ideas, or reasons to switch to these alternate costumes.

My character is currently level 35, and I have done the lvl 20 and 30 tailor missions for additional outfit slots, but... What kind of costume should I make with all these outfit slots? I'm just running the original costume slot right now.

Please offer me some advice/opinions on what types of costumes to make. I seem to have missed the day they were handing out creative genes...

Thank you!

I struggle with creativity every single day.  I feel like I too missed out on those genes.

As for alt slots, some ideas are secret ID, civilian attire for day jobs, specialized suits for fighting in sewers, shadowshard, etc, costume variant (think Batman with the black bat on his chest, and then it was framed in a yellow oval).

My 2 cents from an already creatively deprived hero!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

47 minutes ago, Taarie.Sinclaire said:

There's nothing particularly wrong with using just one slot.  Don't feel forced.

For my part, I only come up with/use alternate costumes & slots when that character demands it.  (And they let me know!)  If the character/concept doesn't need or demand alternates, I just stick with the original and don't worry about it.

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

59 minutes ago, Taarie.Sinclaire said:

Thank you!

• If the character has a concept, what is the concept?
  • Alternatively, what are the power sets? 
  • What is the character name?
  • Are there any existing colours that you like to theme the character around, what are they?

For my characters I like the idea that they begin their journey with just regular street clothes, and over time they get a costume (you know, like in all those spider-man origin story movies). Then their next costumes become more body armoury because tech upgrades or sleek and leathery/rubbery like batman because professionalism.

... but I tend to just use the regular costume one all the time because I like it better.

BUT if you go Rogue, you can make a costume for that - this is traditional!

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

7 minutes ago, Herotu said:
  • If the character has a concept, what is the concept?
  • Alternatively, what are the power sets? 
  • What is the character name?
  • Are there any existing colours that you like to theme the character around, what are they?

* Concept

The concept is that she's a research assistant who blundered into a testing facility for a new device (I call it the Ascension device because I really like the Ascension armor pieces) Her body was absorbed into this device, and her mind can control the device to create a new body (super powers). This also allows the character concept to apply to several different characters.
* Power Sets
     Current character's power sets are Beast Mastery and Electrical Affinity. (I figured the Electrical Affinity fit with the concept of the device creating the body)
* Character name
     Beast-Lady Sinclaire (Her original name is Taarie Sinclaire, but that's reserved for my spines/fire brute
* Colors

Honestly, the colors aren't that much of an issue, and I'm perfectly fine with them changing based on the costume.

I've been working on it a little bit since posting this, and you all have been very helpful. I've got a few costumes already made:
1. The original costume, which was a mix of fur body, insect wings, and wolf tail, coupled with Ascension armor pieces.

2. A "plain-clothes" costume, for when I do Summer Blockbuster, or log out for day jobs.

3. A biohazard outfit, for when I do sewer missions.

4. A vine/earth costume, for when I do outdoor missions.

I'm also thinking of at least making:
1. Police uniform, for when I do bank missions.

2. Origin costume, showing her original appearance + the Ascension "device", for when I do missions in high-tech lab maps.

Edited by Taarie.Sinclaire
  • Like 1

• Regular Costume.
  • Civilian Clothing / Secret Identity clothes
  • "Heavy Armor" costume.  Depending. For a Tech Based hero it's easy to work in a suped-up extra heavy armor suit for when you plan on going toe-to-toe with archvillains ... but I admit find these more difficult to work in for characters that are an unkillable mutant who just heals all damage instantly.
  • "Space" costume.  Hey, you might need to go block an impending asteroid, or stop villains aboard a space station or moonbase!  it could happen!  (at least with AE....).  Typically, these would be fully enclosed suits included a helmet, but you might not need that if your character is robotic or inhuman or has Major Mojo Magic, or otherwise does not need an atmosphere to get by.
  • "Dark Side" costume.  Maybe you're a hero.  But what if you decide it's time the End Justified The Means, and want to stop with this "Arrest" business and just start slaughtering the baddies. Or maybe you go one step beyond vigilantism, and you decide you're sick and tired of Paragon City and the work being helpless and expecting you to do it all, and it's time you started looking out for A#1 for some Roguey profit.  Or even beyond that, maybe those foolish imbeciles should just nominate you Emperor For Life so you can Get Things Done.  Time for a change of clothes while to reflect that new attitude!
  • "Light Side" costume.  Or, maybe you started as a villain but you've been faced with a line you're just not willing to cross and had to take a stand against forces more malevolent than you could take. Or, maybe you didn't have any kind of "moral awakening", but you you have a strict code of honor that if you take a job, you DO the job, and your last job as a bodyguard REALLY pissed off Captain Mako or Ghost Widow or the Big Spider, Mr. Richter himself, so you're chilling in Paragon City for a bit, enjoying an Up-N-Away Burger while you wait for an appropriate time to return to the Rogue Isles.  You might want new threads to best blend in and try to at least keep up the appearance of being "redeemed".  For now.
  • "Unleashed" / "Incarnate" costume.  Or perhaps you checked out the "So, you've Decided to Become an Incarnate" pamphet and now you've got powers bordering on the godlike.  Does that old spandex suit and pair of sunglasses really do you justice?  Is that trenchcoat really all that when you've become a demigod and held back Elder Horrors in Dark Astoria or beyond?  Maybe you want a costume that's using lots of Spectrum, and Celestial Armor pieces, and Celestial Wings to really show what you can be when you decide to drop the pretenses.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

I generally do;

1) Main costume: whatever I mostly run around in.

2) Hood-down/Mask-off variant: for when you’re chilling among you fellow heroes but plan to go back on duty.

3) Dress-uniform: the main uniform, but spruced up a bit. Notably, this is the only hero costume I use capes for (The Incredibles had a lasting influence).

4) Street-clothes: what your character would wear to the grocery store.

5) Club-clothes: what your character would wear to Pocket-D

6) Work-clothes: what your character would wear at their day job.

7) Formal-clothes: for guys this is their “burying and marrying” suit. For ladies this is what they’d wear to a high-society event.

8 ) Beach-wear: because someone will hold another beach rave event.

9) Evil-twin: because my hero would NEVER turn villain just to get a patron power pool. It was their evil twin and my hero’s powers just happen to match my evil twin’s (otherwise they wouldn’t be an evil twin).

10) Full-incarnate: brighter and overly elaborate costume parts, cosmic auras, wings of fire... reserved for when I wanna look over the top on an iTrial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My toons mainly use two costume slots. The first is for traveling and I try to make it look fast in some way (wings, rocket boots, etc.). The second is for fighting in missions. I use macro's that automatically switch between the two when I turn on/off my travel powers.

• Like 1

The majority of my characters use 1 or 2 slots. <.<

I think I've had 3 characters (including on Legacy) that used 3 or more slots and only 1 that used all the slots.

2 of the 3 used the slots to show progression, one being tech so his suit kept getting upgraded the other kept progressing towards her half-dragon form.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.