Contacts and the Outleveling Issue

4 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

If this were to become a thing, it would be nice to add another tab, so that the options are active, out-levelled and inactive.  I really wouldn't want to have to scroll through a massive list of old contacts offering me grey-conning one-off warehouse missions whenever I attempt to find a current contact.

That's a good idea.

On 4/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, Emperor Cole said:

The idea of this thread is pretty simple: If you unlock a contact, you can't outlevel them. Let's say that you're doing two arcs at a time and you abandon one and you finish the other. The only problem is that while you were finishing one, you outleveled the other one and now you can't do the other one anymore. This is extremely irritating to deal with. Some might say that the reason this isn't implemented is because you would have too many contacts. Their are two easy solutions to this problem. You can either finish the arc or there can be a new feature implemented to hide contacts as another option when you right click them. Either way, this would only benefit the player and stop with the annoying issue of losing your contact while you're doing it. 

I think part of the problem is that a lot of contact related missions actually hardcap their level range.  For example, it is impossible to actually outlevel a "story arc" conact once an Arc has been triggerd.  You will always have access to that contact until you finish the arc.  However, lets say that contact exists only in the level 30-35 range.   Their missions will actually hard cap at level 35 difficulty.  So, say you unlock a 6 mission story arc at level 35, then get sucked into a few Task Force runs because you need those, and end up coming out the other end at level 38.  That ENTIRE mission arc will now be basically useless as it will still be locked to level 35, with grey or blue cons.  I mean, sure, you could bump yourself up to +4 or something to compensate, but the rewards are still going to be level 35 for mission completion.

Now, I can't say for certain that ALL contacts behave the same way (since you out level them and they stop giving any missions other than already started arcs), but I imagine they probably do.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 3:23 PM, Emperor Cole said:

The idea of this thread is pretty simple: If you unlock a contact, you can't outlevel them. Let's say that you're doing two arcs at a time and you abandon one and you finish the other. The only problem is that while you were finishing one, you outleveled the other one and now you can't do the other one anymore. This is extremely irritating to deal with. Some might say that the reason this isn't implemented is because you would have too many contacts. Their are two easy solutions to this problem. You can either finish the arc or there can be a new feature implemented to hide contacts as another option when you right click them. Either way, this would only benefit the player and stop with the annoying issue of losing your contact while you're doing it. 

Regardless of reason in practice this is not going to happen for a few reasons.

Contacts and the missions they give are level range specific, due to the enemies in that range. Because of this, eventually you are going to move beyond the range where say, hellions, are a challenge.

As discussed in numerous other threads, enemy factions cannot be arbitrarily scaled up to 54, or down to 1, not only does this break lore and timeline, but the foes would be ridiculously over/underpowered.

Conversely, there are story arcs in the game that do not get locked out once you start them, but you outlevel the foes. The result, if you have experienced it, is for example a level 42 hero fighting lvl 17 MOBs.

The sum is, the game does not have the architecture for this and the time necessary to actually do this would be prohibitive. Not only that, it would mean changing more than you would think, resulting in the inevitable issues and bugs.

Sorry, I have to say no vote, not because the idea is bad, but because the execution would require far too much investment for far too little return and break many other things.

28 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Regardless of reason in practice this is not going to happen for a few reasons.

Contacts and the missions they give are level range specific, due to the enemies in that range. Because of this, eventually you are going to move beyond the range where say, hellions, are a challenge.

As discussed in numerous other threads, enemy factions cannot be arbitrarily scaled up to 54, or down to 1, not only does this break lore and timeline, but the foes would be ridiculously over/underpowered.

Conversely, there are story arcs in the game that do not get locked out once you start them, but you outlevel the foes. The result, if you have experienced it, is for example a level 42 hero fighting lvl 17 MOBs.

The sum is, the game does not have the architecture for this and the time necessary to actually do this would be prohibitive. Not only that, it would mean changing more than you would think, resulting in the inevitable issues and bugs.

Sorry, I have to say no vote, not because the idea is bad, but because the execution would require far too much investment for far too little return and break many other things.

@SurfD Oh I know, I'm not  saying we should get XP. I'm personally completely fine with attacking Grays and getting nothing to finish the arc. It's just weird we can't go back and do the arcs once we're 50, and that in order to do it as we go now we have to pretty much cease teaming altogether to focus on that one arc or else you'll be leaving the range for the arcs or just be wasting time being in a team you get nothing for because XP is locked. I don't think many people are actually looking at the leveling process as game chronology anymore. Maybe some people do, but I always thought it was pretty clear the timeline of like incarnate content anyway, and that midling stuff non 50 isn't really important to overall timeline in most cases.  

Sorry, I have to say no vote, not because the idea is bad, but because the execution would require far too much investment for far too little return and break many other things.

I think that's a possibility, which would be fine, but we can't know that for sure until it is tried or a developer comments on it.

Edited by Emperor Cole
  • Like 1

I've heard that there's another City of Heroes server out there that lets you, at level 50, walk up to any contact, and run their missions as malefactored.  For example, at level 50, you could walk up to David Wincott in the Hollows, take his missions, and be malefactored down to level 10.  I have no idea how true that is or not, but if so I would really like to see that on Homecoming.  Ouroboros Flashback is just not the same.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Emperor Cole said:

@SurfD Oh I know, I'm not  saying we should get XP. I'm personally completely fine with attacking Grays and getting nothing to finish the arc. It's just weird we can't go back and do the arcs once we're 50, and that in order to do it as we go now we have to pretty much cease teaming altogether to focus on that one arc or else you'll be leaving the range for the arcs or just be wasting time being in a team you get nothing for because XP is locked. I don't think many people are actually looking at the leveling process as game chronology anymore. Maybe some people do, but I always thought it was pretty clear the timeline of like incarnate content anyway, and that midling stuff non 50 isn't really important to overall timeline in most cases.  

I think that's a possibility, which would be fine, but we can't know that for sure until it is tried or a developer comments on it.

It's been discussed, commented on by players and devs and explained in multiple other threads, as I mentioned. We already know what it takes to do it, how it would have to be done and the resource investment.

Anything is possible, but as i said, rewriting the game is not going to happen, which is why this particular topic is a non-starter.

22 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

It's been discussed, commented on by players and devs and explained in multiple other threads, as I mentioned. We already know what it takes to do it, how it would have to be done and the resource investment.

Anything is possible, but as i said, rewriting the game is not going to happen, which is why this particular topic is a non-starter.

If that's true, I suppose that's that. Got any links to those threads though? A lot of times it's just assumed to be a rigor, and I'm not in for every convenience being shut down due to the presumption of complexity. Severely limits the extent of proposal efficacy. The claim alone can hinder a suggestions traction, so it's pretty important to show evidence on that account. I personally haven't seen it discussed to often, nor has the OP I imagine if he suggested it here.

Seeing those threads will probably effect future suggestions people decide to make a post about too.

Edited by Monos King
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

This whole comment is obvious nonsense. It's already the case that if you've started (say) Julius the Troll's arc, you get to finish it, even if you're level 50 and steamrollering greys. There is obviously no particular technical barrier to letting you start it at level 50 so you can steamroller greys.

• Like 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

2 hours ago, thunderforce said:

This whole comment is obvious nonsense. It's already the case that if you've started (say) Julius the Troll's arc, you get to finish it, even if you're level 50 and steamrollering greys. There is obviously no particular technical barrier to letting you start it at level 50 so you can steamroller greys.

Im sorry, you are incorrect. Please review the statement you are replying to again, without editing to support a fallacy, as it is factually accurate.

Further, as I previously stated, there is a converse case where some story arcs allow completion, albeit outleveled; which is FURTHER evidence.

You may be misinformed, as it is conclusive stated fact that the architecture of the game does not allow LEVEL SCALING of MOBs, exactly as described.

I recommend reading the thread for relevant discussion. Additionally, I would also recommend being more civil, as declaring something "utter nonsense" (especially when not you are not actually correct) is not merely bad form, but bad ettiquite. 

Edited by SwitchFade

23 hours ago, Apparition said:

I've heard that there's another City of Heroes server out there that lets you, at level 50, walk up to any contact, and run their missions as malefactored.  For example, at level 50, you could walk up to David Wincott in the Hollows, take his missions, and be malefactored down to level 10.  I have no idea how true that is or not, but if so I would really like to see that on Homecoming.  Ouroboros Flashback is just not the same.

That would be totally awesome.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Further, as I previously stated, there is a converse case where some story arcs allow completion, albeit outleveled; which is FURTHER evidence.

All (not "some") story arcs allow completion if you've started them. There's no technical reason to stop people starting them and fighting greys. Your comment remains nonsense; no level scaling is necessary.

• Like 1

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

1 hour ago, SwitchFade said:

Im sorry, you are incorrect. Please review the statement you are replying to again, without editing to support a fallacy, as it is factually accurate.

You may be misinformed, as it is conclusive stated fact that the architecture of the game does not allow LEVEL SCALING of MOBs, exactly as described.

I recommend reading the thread for relevant discussion. Additionally, I would also recommend being more civil, as declaring something "utter nonsense" (especially when not you are not actually correct) is not merely bad form, but bad ettiquite. 

Any Major or Minor story arc, once started will allow you to complete it, no matter WHAT level you go to while running it. IIRC, you're limited to 2 Major, and 5 Minor arcs open on a toon, at a time. This is a separate and slightly hidden limit, outside of the limit of 7 active missions at a time.

Also, bad form, etiquette, and you just look foolish when you insist someone is wrong when they're not, AND when you misspell the $5 words you're throwing around to prove your point. ^_^

Additionally, you and they are almost arguing the same point. They aren't arguing for Trolls to be a viable level 50 faction, they're just offering that it'd be useful (from a story perspective) if you could start a brand new arc above the range, run it at your native level (not the arc's), and just blast through it for the story. I think that part of the technical issues there would be how to address mission completion/end of arc rewards - do they also get out-leveled into oblivion?

• Like 3

Death is the best debuff.

26 minutes ago, Errants said:

I think that part of the technical issues there would be how to address mission completion/end of arc rewards - do they also get out-leveled into oblivion?

I'd think so, yeah. Maybe you'd still get useless enhancements to sell. I think if this did happen the real arduous deed would be the potential push to specify the level range of contacts in game so noobs don't go about killing grays endlessly as they move through story arcs. But honestly, anyone will realize they've outleveled the missions once the grays start popping up. I don't think that catering to that possible predicament is necessary, since a quick question on help or basic deduction would resolve it.

Edited by Monos King
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Errants said:

Any Major or Minor story arc, once started will allow you to complete it, no matter WHAT level you go to while running it. IIRC, you're limited to 2 Major, and 5 Minor arcs open on a toon, at a time. This is a separate and slightly hidden limit, outside of the limit of 7 active missions at a time.

Also, bad form, etiquette, and you just look foolish when you insist someone is wrong when they're not, AND when you misspell the $5 words you're throwing around to prove your point. ^_^

Additionally, you and they are almost arguing the same point. They aren't arguing for Trolls to be a viable level 50 faction, they're just offering that it'd be useful (from a story perspective) if you could start a brand new arc above the range, run it at your native level (not the arc's), and just blast through it for the story. I think that part of the technical issues there would be how to address mission completion/end of arc rewards - do they also get out-leveled into oblivion?

Always happy to hear from individuals that police spelling, especially those that fail to ask if it was due to using a phone and correction.

Sorry, he is wrong in quoting a selection of a post to argue a point that he made up himself, i.e. a straw man. Your contribution supporting such fallacy, as well as your need to tritely resort to spelling errors, is futile.

Look closely, I never argued that story arcs don't stay open.

Edited by SwitchFade

1 hour ago, thunderforce said:

All (not "some") story arcs allow completion if you've started them. There's no technical reason to stop people starting them and fighting greys. Your comment remains nonsense; no level scaling is necessary.

Holding fast to a straw man argument does not invalidate fact. Your choice to quote and argue a point that was your own renders your argument incorrect 

Be mindful that I never argued that story arcs don't remain open, I actually stated they do, in a CONVERSE case. Your choice to ignore that is questionable.

MY choice to use "some" vs "ALL" is sound, as I have no first hand EVIDENCE that every single story arc in the game functions this way from direct empirical observation, so stating as much would be risky.

Edited by SwitchFade

56 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Holding fast to a straw man argument does not invalidate fact. Your choice to quote and argue a point that was your own renders your argument incorrect 

Be mindful that I never argued that story arcs don't remain open, I actually stated they do, in a CONVERSE case. Your choice to ignore that is questionable.

MY choice to use "some" vs "ALL" is sound, as I have no first hand EVIDENCE that every single story arc in the game functions this way from direct empirical observation, so stating as much would be risky.

Ok, cool. I don't know what argument is unfolding right now, all I'm going to do is clear up what the ones in favor of this idea have been proposing and make it abundantly certain for future viewers, as it seems there is already misconception over, like, nothing.

1.  You unlock a contact at a lower level
  2. You are able to do its arcs/side missions
  3. You level up
  4. You continue to be able to do its arcs/side missions, regardless of if the enemies are now gray to you
  5. Convenience!

Right now we're working with "Contact level range is a-d" so if you get to level e+ that contact stops giving you their content past whatever mission or arc you were last given. The OP is suggesting that Contacts act as though you were still in the level range when you out-level it. Aka removing the level range for mission acceptance. We know the NPC's level range would be unimpacted, and we're ok with that. The idea is strictly a convenience that should be pretty useful and never harmful. It seemed like you, Switch, were maintaining that the enemies encountered being gray would be a game-limitation issue, and to that I gather thunder cited how that already exists in the form of higher levels doing their existing arcs and encountering low level fodder in retort. If that's not how it was, probably just a misunderstanding. This idea though, is not a motion to make NPC groups level scale. The big thing for everyone to take away is that, mechanically, doing missions where the native hostiles are uber weaker than you is possible because it does exist, and that a potential (but yet unverified) concern with this suggestion is if it's actually troublesome or not to go in and remove whatever makes contacts acknowledge your level and stop giving you missions in the first place.

Edited by Monos King
Auto correct
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ignoring the nonsensical naysay(s), as I really do like the idea of making more content more accessible (and I'm a huge proponent for being able to do high level content without having to level up, too.  But that's a discussion for a different thread) . . . but there is one potential issue:

While Experience and Inf rewards will evaporate if you've outlevelled a Story Arc, I am 90%ish certain that the Merits are still rewarded at the end.  While I personally don't view that as much of an issue, I realize that with trivialized difficulty from grey-con enemies that there are people who play this game who feel that you don't "deserve" those Merits.

So . . . that's an actual concern/complaint that would need to be addressed (or not, ideally) if this feature were ever to be implemented.  Programming in a solution to that issue might push the feasibility of this thread's suggested feature in to more frustrating territory.

Considering the Homecoming Team has stated that they want to "take a look at rewards at all levels," I really do hope they consider opening content accessibility across the board at the same time.  Just need to put something in place to let new players know when they're liable to bite off more than they can reasonably chew.  Other than that?  Open the floodgates already.

Edited by ArchVileTerror
Typo correction.

7 hours ago, Errants said:

And, of course, the OP didn't suggest that Trolls be made a viable level 50 faction (etc), making this nonsense about level scaling completely irrelevant. SwitchFade's made up a suggestion that wasn't put forward so they can argue with it; odd, for someone who bangs on about straw men.

Arc rewards already get outlevelled to oblivion if you start an arc and leave it for a long time. I don't see any problem there; the purpose of the proposed feature is to let you do the content, not to let you grind XP while you're doing it.

9 hours ago, thunderforce said:

And, of course, the OP didn't suggest that Trolls be made a viable level 50 faction (etc), making this nonsense about level scaling completely irrelevant. SwitchFade's made up a suggestion that wasn't put forward so they can argue with it; odd, for someone who bangs on about straw men.

Arc rewards already get outlevelled to oblivion if you start an arc and leave it for a long time. I don't see any problem there; the purpose of the proposed feature is to let you do the content, not to let you grind XP while you're doing it.

Thunder, adding another straw man to your original makes it clear you're not interested in coherent dialog.

The OP was not clear AT ALL, relying on ambiguous interpretation.

My ORIGINAL REPLY addressed all of them, vis a vi, open grey arcs, out-leveled content, scaling of MOBs and so forth.

If you're really going to pursue such a course, be sure you have proof.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:08 AM, ArchVileTerror said:

At the very least, going forward, I would like to encourage the Devs to ensure all mission and story arc content is NOT level gated.  Or at the very least, has no Maximum Level.

Yes, that would mean either adjusting some Enemy Factions to include high level versions, or to compose Arcs which specifically use Enemy Factions which scale all the way up normally (Circle of Thorns, Council/Column, Arachnos, Longbow, et cetera).

More accessibility is only ever a good thing.  Period.

I'd absolutely love that. I outlevel story content so often just by joining some TF and its a real shame.

• Thanks 1

I'm very sympathetic to the request, but I already have the tool (disabling XP, as clumsy as it is) to do this.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:44 AM, Icecomet said:

It's just a simple matter of telling your contacts NOT to check your level once you've received them as a contact!

I'm not sure, but I think the contacts must check your level in order to identify potential new contacts for you. I know it is possible to accept a contact and then out-level them without ever having talked to them. In such a case, the 'new' contact will immediately offer you a new contact appropriate for your level... or (I believe) if you have outlevelled all of the contacts to whom they would introduce you will basically brush you off. E.g. "Our time together has come to an end."

The weird request I would have (if I didn't think it would be a coding nightmare) would be that when using Orouboros to flashback to a mission from a contact I already met, I'd like to have their phone number immediately. The fact that I don't have the phone numbers is proof enough that I'm not *really* traveling back in time, but going to another dimension with different phone numbers. I'm onto you "Mender Silos"!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 10:56 AM, SwitchFade said:

The OP was not clear AT ALL, relying on ambiguous interpretation.

Umm, the OP was not Ambiguous in any way. 

They literally had ONE singe proposition in their statement: Being unable to outlevel contacts.  There was nothing ambiguous about this at all.

And your original reply literally did not address this proposed issue AT ALL.  Your entire original reply was basically to complain about issues with Scaling for Difficulty to all level ranges, which had NOTHING to do with what the OP suggested.  Like, absolutely nothing.

The suggestion in question was simply to allow contacts to keep giving you missions, even if you have out-leveled the contact and their mission range.  Scaling for difficulty was never mentioned by the OP.  You just assumed he was talking about having all contacts give you missions scaled to your level, when all he wanted was for contacts to still talk to you once you had out leveled them.

And quite frankly, there is absolutely NOTHING in the game that actually indicates that having a Contact give you missions well below your level is not possible, as we know for a fact that literally every contact who has a Story Arc will continue to give you missions in that story arc, even well after you have outleveled the arc entirely, to the point where they have no issue handing you missions that cap out at level 15 while you are level 30.

All the OP wants is to be able to continue getting missions directly from a contact (regardless of if they are 10 or 30 levels below you and filled with grey mobs or not) instead of having to go through Ouro to flashback them.  (Think of it like the equivalent of Superman still taking time out of his day to occasionally stop generic purse snatchers.  Everybody wants to insist that he should be doing "bigger" things, but he still does it simply because he can.  He doesn't care that the difficulty is completely trivial compared to his current power level). Nothing in the game indicates that this couldn't be done relatively easily, as it most likely simply requires clipping out the code that tells them to stop talking to you once your level is >X.

1 hour ago, SurfD said:

Umm, the OP was not Ambiguous in any way. 

They literally had ONE singe proposition in their statement: Being unable to outlevel contacts.  There was nothing ambiguous about this at all.

And your original reply literally did not address this proposed issue AT ALL.  Your entire original reply was basically to complain about issues with Scaling for Difficulty to all level ranges, which had NOTHING to do with what the OP suggested.  Like, absolutely nothing.

The suggestion in question was simply to allow contacts to keep giving you missions, even if you have out-leveled the contact and their mission range.  Scaling for difficulty was never mentioned by the OP.  You just assumed he was talking about having all contacts give you missions scaled to your level, when all he wanted was for contacts to still talk to you once you had out leveled them.

And quite frankly, there is absolutely NOTHING in the game that actually indicates that having a Contact give you missions well below your level is not possible, as we know for a fact that literally every contact who has a Story Arc will continue to give you missions in that story arc, even well after you have outleveled the arc entirely, to the point where they have no issue handing you missions that cap out at level 15 while you are level 30.

All the OP wants is to be able to continue getting missions directly from a contact (regardless of if they are 10 or 30 levels below you and filled with grey mobs or not) instead of having to go through Ouro to flashback them.  (Think of it like the equivalent of Superman still taking time out of his day to occasionally stop generic purse snatchers.  Everybody wants to insist that he should be doing "bigger" things, but he still does it simply because he can.  He doesn't care that the difficulty is completely trivial compared to his current power level). Nothing in the game indicates that this couldn't be done relatively easily, as it most likely simply requires clipping out the code that tells them to stop talking to you once your level is >X.

Thanks for your interpretation. And it WAS ambiguous.

ASSUMING he meant leave the contact open, do you out level the MOBs then, in said missions from said contact? Yes, you do. So, you out leveled it.

Did he mean, keep the context and out level the MOBs? Still out leveled in one way, but open.

Did mean keep the contact at the missions remain similar level?

We don't know from the OP. Which is why I addressed both and said it was ambiguous. Making assumptions that he wants gray con foes when he did not straw that, is an interpretation.

Just because you interpret it one way, does not mean it was DEFINITE. For example, if I said I want to keep my contacts, what does that mean?

Keep them, how? Inactive? Active? Assumptions lead to misunderstanding.

21 minutes ago, SwitchFade said:

Thanks for your interpretation. And it WAS ambiguous.

The idea of this thread is pretty simple: If you unlock a contact, you can't outlevel them.

This is not ambiguous.  It means exactly what it says.  It does not mention MISSIONS at all.  It does not mention MOBS IN MISSIONS at all.  It mentions only one thing, the contact.  Out leveling a contact is not ambiguous.  It is well established that once you exceed a contact's level range, they simply pass you on to another contact in the next range and then stop talking to you entirely unless you have an active story arc.  Not out leveling a contact literally means exactly what it says: You can still get missions from a contact once if you have exceeded the 5 level block range they exist in.  That is all.

And yet you immediately go hareing off into "but what about the level of the missions" and "but the Mobs might eventually turn grey" arguments. AGAIN.

I am sorry reading comprehension is difficult for you, but there is no ambiguity here.  You simply insist on overthinking the question and then blaming everyone else when they point out that you are over thinking it.

Edited by SurfD

2 hours ago, SurfD said:

This is not ambiguous.  It means exactly what it says.  It does not mention MISSIONS at all.  It does not mention MOBS IN MISSIONS at all.  It mentions only one thing, the contact.  Out leveling a contact is not ambiguous.  It is well established that once you exceed a contact's level range, they simply pass you on to another contact in the next range and then stop talking to you entirely unless you have an active story arc.  Not out leveling a contact literally means exactly what it says: You can still get missions from a contact once if you have exceeded the 5 level block range they exist in.  That is all.

And yet you immediately go hareing off into "but what about the level of the missions" and "but the Mobs might eventually turn grey" arguments. AGAIN.

I am sorry reading comprehension is difficult for you, but there is no ambiguity here.  You simply insist on overthinking the question and then blaming everyone else when they point out that you are over thinking it.

Your opinion is your own and not fact. It was ambiguous, due to the fact it was not clear. You interpret it one way, which is merely your perspective, not evidence. Your choice to be wilfully disrespectful with personal insults is questionable, at best.

You can be as disrespectful as you like, that merely serves to highlight a lack of coherent data to support your claim. Further, your insistence that your personal interpretation is unassailable truth renders any judgement you may have circumspect. I would caution against such declarations, as the saying goes, "wisdom and folly walk hand in hand."