Is it me, or them?

Help me understand this please...

For the past couple weeks or more, I have not been able to stay online during MSRs. I keep losing connection to the mapserver within 10 minutes or so in the bowl. I've also been having a lot of choppy movement and rubberbanding. 

Is that my internet connection, or my graphics card, or what? I have reset/rebooted my modem a lot, and it doesn't seem to help. I have backed down my graphic settings some, and it doesn't seem to help.

My internet speed is 100 megawhatevers and is a wired connection. My graphics card is an older model, sir, but checks out. Nvidia GTX 980.

13 minutes ago, TraumaTrain said:

Help me understand this please...

For the past couple weeks or more, I have not been able to stay online during MSRs. I keep losing connection to the mapserver within 10 minutes or so in the bowl. I've also been having a lot of choppy movement and rubberbanding. 

Is that my internet connection, or my graphics card, or what? I have reset/rebooted my modem a lot, and it doesn't seem to help. I have backed down my graphic settings some, and it doesn't seem to help.

My internet speed is 100 megawhatevers and is a wired connection. My graphics card is an older model, sir, but checks out. Nvidia GTX 980.

Hard to say, although graphics bottlenecks don’t always lead to network congestion.  They can, but really shouldn’t. 

Perhaps try some experimentation.  Lower your graphics settings (Particle counts in particular for MSR’s) and see if things improve.  You can save a configuration file and I often load one just for MSR’s and Hami’s, and I’ve got a RTX 2080 Ti and you can’t go a whole lot higher than that.  But old game and drivers aren’t optimized for COH so.....it helps to keep things running smoothly.  You generally don’t have to go to potato quality, just lower things from Ultra settings a bit.

If you do that and still have issues with drops and rubber banding, I’d try to load another visually demanding game that has online play and see if the problem exists there also.  Could be any number of things.

• Like 1

I know it's been mentioned on some of the ones I've been on to disable camera shake (which, I believe, is under "Control"... )

I'd also heard something about not having buff numbers sent, hadn't tested it really. That said, I bring empaths, thermals and pain doms instead of my tanks and such because at least they can do something if I'm seeing a slideshow. 🙂

• Like 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I haven't tried a MSR yet. Mainly because I have to use my cell phone as an mobile hotspot and get a speeds of a whopping 70kbs. Just enough, it seems to play normal missions with about 3 or 4 other people. being in a raid with a few dozen other people, a quarter of whom are summoning half a dozen minions each, not to mention the hundreds (ok, dozens) of enemy mobs. I'd be surprised if I saw 3 slides before the raid was complete. That's with my settings set to their lowest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twisted Toon said:

I'd be surprised if I saw 3 slides before the raid was complete.

It's such a mess of particle effects, leaves, pets, writing bodies, green numbers and nonspecific glowing lights that honestly you're not missing too much visually.

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

Thanks for the suggestions. I will turn off the shakes first and see where that gets me. If I still have problems, I'll check out the particles.

Meanwhile, today I had my modem equipment exchanged. I ran a full Eden trial and had no hiccups at all.

Earlier today, before the new modem, I was rubberbanding and lagging during a Posi 2.

On 5/17/2020 at 5:25 AM, TraumaTrain said:

Turn down your graphics settings. I was having continual CTD problems with MSRs, where I would get down in the bowl and have my client blow up within two minutes. Reducing my graphics settings to 'Recommended' solved the problem, and I haven't had it recur since.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:13 AM, Greycat said:

I'd also heard something about not having buff numbers sent, hadn't tested it really. 🙂

How is that adjusted exactly?  I've only had a tiny bit of slow-down, but those buff numbers are highly annoying when trying to see what's going on in the crowd.  I've tried several different things that sound like the answer(s) under "Options" but have had no change.

Funny you mention this.  I got a new computer in January and MSRs went from a slideshow to a smooth viewing experience for me.  But the last couple I've done in about the last seven days or so, I've noticed a beginning of a flickering slideshow effect again setting in.  I don't load up my HD with movies or music or anything, so that shouldn't have been a problem; maybe it was the MIds build still running ijn the background?  I've left FireFox running before though and had no problems.

ETA _ I've also noticed a new problem with enemies at say the side of the bowl when I stand in the center are not rendering until I get closer to them; pretty sure that didn't used to happen.

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

How is that adjusted exactly?  I've only had a tiny bit of slow-down, but those buff numbers are highly annoying when trying to see what's going on in the crowd.  I've tried several different things that sound like the answer(s) under "Options" but have had no change.

Right click on the buffs under your menu ( I think it is,) and/or to the side of the team list.

Though it didn't seem to make as much difference as turning off camera shake, so I'll probably leave mine on Numeric.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.