Show Password on Log In Screen

iBot

Searched but didn't see this suggested.  I would like to be able to click an eyeball icon on the log in screen and see the characters for the password entry rather than the dots.  Sometimes my fingers miss one character and instead of just correcting that simple mistake I have to erase the entire string and type again.  Granted I could use a shorter password but that kinda of defeats the point.  Along those lines, also would be nice to be able to change the password from that screen.

• Like 3

If it didn't take 2 seconds do deal with a password on this exact page, then I'd give this some clout, but beyond that, there IS an auto-login-esque cheat that's SUPER easy to do and means you just have to click the login button. Not so easy when you're sharing a computer with other CoX gamers, but still, it's easy to do.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

7 hours ago, SurfD said:

Would also be nice if hitting Enter actually cleared the "you typed an incorrect password" dialogue box, instead of instantly bringing it back.

IDK for sure off hand, but Escape may do what you want.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

13 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

If it didn't take 2 seconds do deal with a password on this exact page, then I'd give this some clout, but beyond that, there IS an auto-login-esque cheat that's SUPER easy to do and means you just have to click the login button. Not so easy when you're sharing a computer with other CoX gamers, but still, it's easy to do.

What is this auto login "cheat" you refer to.  I know the game itself remembers the user name, but it doesn't fill in the password for that user as well.  It really isn't about the time it takes.  Its just more of a convenience that a lot of other password protected programs have started to include.

*slaps a post it note on the monitor*

can't get any more secure if you can't forget it, and if you fumble while typing it the first time you know its a really impregnable password (or you left capslock on)

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I think the point of having a non-visible password is to prevent public access to a partially typed password, in case you have to step away for something.   Not an issue for most people who play from home, but could be an issue in a shared area.

9 hours ago, iBot said:

What is this auto login "cheat" you refer to.  I know the game itself remembers the user name, but it doesn't fill in the password for that user as well.  It really isn't about the time it takes.  Its just more of a convenience that a lot of other password protected programs have started to include.

Create a txt document in the main COH folder called - resume_info.txt.

Inside the document you have 2 lines of text

Line 1 - username

line 2 - password

line 3 - nothing, but you need to press enter after line 2

No special formatting needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

4 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

*slaps a post it note on the monitor*

can't get any more secure if you can't forget it, and if you fumble while typing it the first time you know its a really impregnable password (or you left capslock on)

The point isn't failure to remember the password.  The point is to handle a typo. 

I have taken to using passwords in excess of 30 characters long for most things that do not also have some kind of dual-authentication system.

For some places, I have a password > 50 characters long.

But it's a pain when I get it wrong, becuase if all I see are dots, you have no idea in there where you skipped a character, transposed a character, hit an extra key, etc.

14 hours ago, krj12 said:

I think the point of having a non-visible password is to prevent public access to a partially typed password, in case you have to step away for something.   Not an issue for most people who play from home, but could be an issue in a shared area.

It would not stay visible. It would behave like password entry fields in many other places do - you have to deliberately click on an eye icon at the end of the line to reveal what you've typed.

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

@justicebelieverThanks I'll try that out later when at home.  That will at least get around the issue for me since I am the only one that uses my computer.

As others have said, this isn't about dangers of using passwords in a public setting or on a public network or even for remembering the password since I use an encrypted wallet for that.  I have my own setup and do not share.  As @MTeaguepointed out it is a convenience for when I mistype a very long password.  I also wouldn't be opposed to them moving to a two step verification process but I'm sure that would take quite a bit of doing.

A lot of systems these days have an eye icon that you can press to unblock the password temporarily.  That would be a good compromise between security and still being able to see what you are typing.

At the very least warning the user  that the caps lock is on.  That one gets me more often than anything else due to where the indicator light is on my keyboard.  (not in a conspicuous location)

18 hours ago, MTeague said:

The point isn't failure to remember the password.  The point is to handle a typo. 

I have taken to using passwords in excess of 30 characters long for most things that do not also have some kind of dual-authentication system.

For some places, I have a password > 50 characters long.

But it's a pain when I get it wrong, becuase if all I see are dots, you have no idea in there where you skipped a character, transposed a character, hit an extra key, etc.

The point was a joke.  Easier to correct something when you are reading off and typing, than realize immediately you made a mistake even with the text obscured.  Kinda of a human intuition type thing when you screw up and realize it.

The remember part with a sticky note is kinda a standard joke with passwords.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer