More info when looking at contacts

When looking at the biographical information for any contact, (when offered a choice of contacts, when given a new contact, or when looking at any existing contact) I would like to see underneath the biographical information the names of all story arcs and badge missions the contact may offer, in blue.

• Like 2

• Wavicle changed the title to More info when looking at contacts

I'm pretty sure this is not done for immersions sake. The blurb you are given is in the fashion of: "If your current contact was telling you about the other contacts."

As much as I like to know what I'm getting into, I also am playing this game on a computer which I am perfectly capable of looking crap like that up online....

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Edited by Snowdaze
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have a Darkness Manipulation Proposal: Let me know what you think!

Just now, Snowdaze said:

So you don't care about the reasons why, you just want it done, and screw everyone else's opinion?

Nobody else has given an opinion. Everybody else just said you can already find this elsewhere on the Internet and so it’s not necessary. That’s not an opinion. I realize it’s on the Internet elsewhere, I think it would be a good idea for it to be available in game when you’re choosing a new contact.

Maybe people are right that it shouldn’t be everywhere you read about the contact, maybe just when you’re making the choice.

The point is I’ve made an actual argument for why it’s a good idea and the argument in response is just Google it.

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

Nobody else has given an opinion. Everybody else just said you can already find this elsewhere on the Internet and so it’s not necessary. That’s not an opinion. I realize it’s on the Internet elsewhere, I think it would be a good idea for it to be available in game when you’re choosing a new contact.

Maybe people are right that it shouldn’t be everywhere you read about the contact, maybe just when you’re making the choice.

The point is I’ve made an actual argument for why it’s a good idea and the argument in response is just Google it.

I gave you an argument/reason against your viewpoint look at my first response, IT'S UNDERLINED! This is an MMORPG thus there is a level of immersion. You don't always get ALL the info. Not every Contact is going to give you a military style briefing on other contacts. And they certainly wouldn't necessarily know what the other contact would have you doing.

15 hours ago, Wavicle said:

When looking at the biographical information for any contact, (when offered a choice of contacts, when given a new contact, or when looking at any existing contact) I would like to see underneath the biographical information the names of all story arcs and badge missions the contact may offer, in blue.

The gold side has more of this doesn't it? Where choices and action have consequences.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

47 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Perhaps so, which I would take as evidence the devs who created that content agreed that choices in game should be informed in game.

I think they did.. and so there you go. Gold side awaits.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Snowdaze said:

So you don't care about the reasons why, you just want it done, and screw everyone else's opinion?

Just to be explicitly clear, no, I don't really care about your opinion.

I posted my idea so the DEVS can see it and consider it.  What you think of it is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I posted my idea so the DEVS can see it and consider it.  What you think of it is irrelevant.

So you dont think the Homecoming Team should consider if other people have an opposing viewpoint?

Edited by Snowdaze

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

Only if they share it.

And that is what I came here to do was share my opposing viewpoint for the Homecoming team to consider.

Also what you are proposing though would not be a hard thing for the HC Team to implement as it is just extra text, it would be a substantial time and effort investment, for a minimal impact, when the info you seek already exists easily available to players. The odds of your suggestion being implemented retroactively on the content is much more unlikely to happen then asking for your change to be considered for implementation on future contacts and content.

Future contacts are unlikely to be presented as choices. That’s the most important part of the suggestion, that the information be provided when the choice is made.

The suggestion made above that the info be hidden until clicked on was good.

I know you’re right, it is unlikely to be implemented. However, the HC team have indicated they want to make CoH the best it can be. This is a relatively easy addition that would be an improvement.

I think the idea is a good one, though "relative ease" is a bit of a tricky thing to suggest.  While we're seeing epic strides being made with many of these bootleg City of Heroes servers these days, there's still an investment of energy and effort being put in.

So!  Let's help lighten the workload, Wavicle!  Should the Homecoming Team deploy your suggestion, it would probably be encouraging for them to see at least some of the work already done.

Can you give a few specific examples of how you would like to see some of the Contacts' OOC info presented?

Sure.

Just recently I completed the lvl 25 Safeguard mission and was presented with 3 choices for contacts. Ideally the info would be presented individually with each contact, however the actual panels with the contacts pictures and information are already buttons themselves, so presenting an Optional button directly on those might prove difficult. So perhaps something like this:

Underneath each button to choose a new contact there could be a line of blue text that reads "Click Here to see some of the missions this contact may offer."

Let's say, just as an example, the contacts offered to me were Ashwin Lannister, Miriam Bloechi, and Colin Larson. I click the button under each and it unhides the following text (or variations on it depending on level, faction, etc), also in blue.

Under Ashwin's button:
Ubelmann the Unknown
The Redemption of Alexander 'The Great'

Under Miriam's button:
The Scroll of Tielekku
Find the Pantheon: Rescue the Mystics

Under Colin's button:
The Freaklympics

I think with some time I could actually make a mock up to illustrate, but is my description pretty clear?

• Thanks 1

But heck, as long as I'm dreaming, a brief description (spoiler free!) of each story arc could be included!

Under Ashwin's button:
Ubelmann the Unknown--Investigate the mysterious 5th Column operative!
The Redemption of Alexander 'The Great'--Seek out the Warriors leader!

Under Miriam's button:
The Scroll of Tielekku--Discover the mysteries of the Scroll!
Find the Pantheon: Rescue the Mystics--Prevent the sacrifice!

Under Colin's button:
The Freaklympics--Stop the Freaks from destroying the city!

Edited by Wavicle
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Thanks for being honest about your pointed apathy and dismissiveness of another's perspective.

Unfortunately, I now must consider your opinions and input suspect and discount them.

Hard no vote on your idea.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, Wavicle said:

Nobody else has given an opinion. Everybody else just said you can already find this elsewhere on the Internet and so it’s not necessary. That’s not an opinion.

Actually, yes offering the opinion that the suggestion is not necessary as the information can be found online is an opinion. 

• Thanks 1

Wow. Serious hostility here on both sides for such a ... well, "fluff" idea.

Yes, the information can be looked up online.

No, that's not a good argument against it.

Honestly, neither is "My immersion" - and I'm saying that as an RPer. I mean, really, how different is it from "I can introduce you to Fred, who deals with Freakshow and Crey and sells these enhancements, or I can introduce you to Susan, who deals with Circle of Thorns and sells these enhancements?" Do you normally introduce people that way in real life? "Well, I can introduce you to this person, who does this and sells that, or that person, who does that and sells this!" If the way contacts are introduced *now* isn't immersion breaking, neither is this idea. Especially with the thought you can hide the information (just click on "more info" to get specifics.)

If being told which SOs they sell isn't immersion breaking, frankly, neither is this.

Personally, I'm solidly in the "meh" camp. I don't care one way or the other about it. I probably wouldn't notice it if it were put in, and wouldn't be bothered if it weren't.

Oh, and I do have to add... post an idea here, *deal with* the fact that people are going to have their own ideas, pros, cons, etc. You want just the devs to see it, email them. Otherwise, you're getting feedback, and you may not like it.

Edited by Greycat

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.