I feel my altaholism pushing in on me and I don't know what to do

I downloaded this game Monday night.  Started playing it Tuesday.  At first it was a silly little thing, I remade the Agent of Arachnos that I never got a chance to level.  A big, somewhat goofy, heavy set Henchman type who fails his way to success.  I also missed playing a Master Mind.  No other game has anything quite like a Master Mind... so I made an asian schoolgirl with ninjas.  Then my little brother started to play, and he really liked working with my old Sanitation Bot, so I made a heroic bruiser with a shovel and a manhole lid.  Three character's, that's a manageable start. 

But my Agent of Arachnos didn't get to choose a starting zone and so there was a third starting zone to try out.  Before I knew what I was doing, I had made a space mummy Sentinel with radiation powers and a back story about a corrupt corporation's ill conceived idea to use the undead as astronauts.  Then I remembered Praetorians, and I had only ever played a hero faction loyalist, I never got to play a villain faction resistance character and it was so easy to make a mutant stalker with an appearance vaguely reminiscent of the M'gann M'orzz from the titan's dystopian future.  But five, one of each origin type.  Maybe a bit to take on but there's no rush. 

But I really loved my old Prank Shot character... trick arrows were always so fun.  I dodged a bullet by remaking my mastermind as thugs/trick arrows.  But now I'm thinking I need a broadsword/shield scrapper.  And I need to remake my Sanitation Bot brute as titanic weapons/invulnerability.  The outfit is right there in the character creator... it would be so easy to deck him out like a crusader, then tweak in some modern flourishes to give the backstory of his time spent in the modern era. 

Isn't the whole idea to have FUN? Create whatever your mind is coming up with and enjoy. There is no law that says you need to limit yourself. The only 'limit' are the hours you get to play, but that's the fault of real life LOL.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I don't see a problem?

Yup, because you can have 1,000 characters

I keep my urges to create more and more characters by just picking one of the ones I have and leveling them.

If you are playing the game you are not creating more characters.

But the urge is always there to create another one.

Don't forget that you can put your alts in an AE mission that suits them if you don't want to play them.  I've a number of characters I've created that I like a lot, but would personally be bored to level due to their powers/AT just not being my thing.  I plan on using them in AE soon.

Since the game has been back I tried to stick to just 1 character, but as usual once I start getting to around level 40 the grind gets excessively boring, and I start making alts... I even created a look-alike of Homer Simpson called Homer Sampson and made him a beast master... lol

Edit: Now that I think of it, I should have created groundskeeper willy as a beast master. He wrestles wolves after all, and I think the costume selection has kilts.

It's a work week. I managed to squeeze three session of CoH between work shifts and family\house stuff. In total maybe... 8 hours of playtime? I already made two characters, and have ideas for couple more. Do i have a problem? Heck, no - what i have is loads of fun fiddling with the Creator  ;D See ya on the mean streets o/

I downloaded this game Monday night.  Started playing it Tuesday.  At first it was a silly little thing, I remade the Agent of Arachnos that I never got a chance to level.  A big, somewhat goofy, heavy set Henchman type who fails his way to success.  I also missed playing a Master Mind.  No other game has anything quite like a Master Mind... so I made an asian schoolgirl with ninjas.  Then my little brother started to play, and he really liked working with my old Sanitation Bot, so I made a heroic bruiser with a shovel and a manhole lid.  Three character's, that's a manageable start. 

But my Agent of Arachnos didn't get to choose a starting zone and so there was a third starting zone to try out.  Before I knew what I was doing, I had made a space mummy Sentinel with radiation powers and a back story about a corrupt corporation's ill conceived idea to use the undead as astronauts.  Then I remembered Praetorians, and I had only ever played a hero faction loyalist, I never got to play a villain faction resistance character and it was so easy to make a mutant stalker with an appearance vaguely reminiscent of the M'gann M'orzz from the titan's dystopian future.  But five, one of each origin type.  Maybe a bit to take on but there's no rush. 

But I really loved my old Prank Shot character... trick arrows were always so fun.  I dodged a bullet by remaking my mastermind as thugs/trick arrows.  But now I'm thinking I need a broadsword/shield scrapper.  And I need to remake my Sanitation Bot brute as titanic weapons/invulnerability.  The outfit is right there in the character creator... it would be so easy to deck him out like a crusader, then tweak in some modern flourishes to give the backstory of his time spent in the modern era.

Also consider, there are four separate storylines in Praetoria.  Selfish Loyalist, protective Loyalist, Chaotic Resistance, and defender Resistance.

So, yeah, I've limited myself (currently) to my main, which is my Chat Handle, another Hero, a Villain, and four Praetorians.

Of course, that doesn't include a joke character I made to entertain my kids on another server...

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

I've recreated what I think of as my three "main" characters, and am splitting time between them to level up for now.

That leaves like a dozen of "almost" as important characters to remake...

Not to mention hundreds of concepts or ideas I wanted to do but never did  8)

I am really really missing Vet rewards! I was a subscriber the whole time, from a month or so after launch right up until everything went automatically FtP before shutdown... So when they introduced Vet rewards I was stacked! lol

So many good times!

(can vet rewards be unlocked? that would be great!)

CoH is perfect for altitis. The huge variety of powerset combos and costume concept choice makes it like playing hundreds of different games each play through of the content imo.

After CoH, every mmo I tried, I got to lvl 20 or so and started over with a new class or whatever and I was just disappointed at finding the play the same. WoW was especially depressing when the playerbase there seemed to just be ‘roll one room, rush to lvl cap and keep going.’

I had 34 CoH alts with only 4 at lvl cap after 8 years of subbing.

Never gets old.

This week, finding CoH again - best fucking week of the past decade for me :D

I am really really missing Vet rewards! I was a subscriber the whole time, from a month or so after launch right up until everything went automatically FtP before shutdown... So when they introduced Vet rewards I was stacked! lol

So many good times!

Do you know about the P2W vendors (one in Atlas park, others scattered around)?  They will "sell" you (often for free) a lot of the Vet Rewards.

CoH is perfect for altitis. The huge variety of powerset combos and costume concept choice makes it like playing hundreds of different games each play through of the content imo.

After CoH, every mmo I tried, I got to lvl 20 or so and started over with a new class or whatever and I was just disappointed at finding the play the same. WoW was especially depressing when the playerbase there seemed to just be ‘roll one room, rush to lvl cap and keep going.’

CoH is great for altoholics, but not perfect.  SW:tOR is perfect for altoholics because you are rewarded for progressing one of everything.  Other than change in playstyle, nothing really incentivises altoholism in CoH like SW:tOR does now.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

So many good times!

Do you know about the P2W vendors (one in Atlas park, others scattered around)?  They will "sell" you (often for free) a lot of the Vet Rewards.

I found the P2W contact last night thanks! I feel whole again lol  8) 8) 8)

I grabbed the Dark Fairy buff pet since that's one I had on live, and I got to say... I'd forgotten that enemies can and will target the buff pet. Of course, I'd also forgotten about Embalmed vahzilok zombies exploding, and that the LT can revive fallen zombies in that enemy group. Also forgot that destructible alters EXPLODE upon defeat. Rediscovered this during the Dr Graves arc when I used Pummel (Arachnos Soldier VEAT) to rifle but the channeling alter in one mission, and died due to the explosion. Er... oops?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with altoholism in this game and I don't think there's a cure, but here's some "rules" I employ to avoid getting overwhelmed as I come up with new character concepts on a daily basis:

[*]This may or may not be applicable to you, but I decided to only remake my favorite 3 characters from the official servers.

[*]I mostly level up two characters at a time: one that I exclusively play with a friend (so that we stay at the same level) and another that I play on my own.

[*]When I start leveling up another character, it should to be different in function to my previous two "characters in progress". For example, if my solo character was a Brute and the duo was a Blaster, I'd avoid melee and ranged DPS classes to keep things fresh and instead start a Controller, Defender, Mastermind or something like that.

Got my first 50 last week (solo Corruptor) and my duo character (Brute) is at 45. Started a Controller for a new solo project and probably going for a Defender once we start a new duo. Then I've got a Mastermind and a Warshade waiting to start their journey... Guess my point is, don't worry too much about making new alts but try to establish some kind of framework that actually allows you to focus on a few at a time.

As a final note: using the double XP boost is great. I don't really have quite as much time to play as I used to back in the day, but with the double XP boost I'm getting several levels each playing session even at 40+ (or level 22 in about two hours). Sure, you don't get any influence drops but the majority of influence comes from recipe and salvage drops anyway and if we consider that getting to 50 takes 50 hours conventionally, getting there in 25 and then doing level 50 stuff for 25 hours will net you more money for the same time investment.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.