RP Character Form

SylvanMansion

No "standard form" per se, but from what I have seen a lot of people seem to like:

general tl;dr disclaimer first, ex.

((no ERP or I will come to your house and do unspeakable things to you))

followed by a general description, usually in character

'ello! I am a T'unting K-nig't wit' an hor-rible French ak-sent

then a list of things you should know about the character: abilities, visual cues, etc. Usually as a list

((

* His father was an hamster and his mother smelt of elderberries

* Likes wood carving

))

Edited by Archiviste

10 minutes ago, Patti said:

I thought virtueverse had the standard template.  But they're an exclusive club now with an invite-only setup apparently.

You can request an account from the Virtueverse Discord - yeah, I know... but still, not quite exclusive.

It's not an invite-only deal. The fact is the database for VV has issues so unfortunately you can't just go to the site and create an account like you used to since the email function doesn't work.

So now if you need a new VV account, you have to let the admins know and they can reach out to you to set it up. You don't even have to download a Discord app, you can run it in your browser so it's really not that "excludey" as you put it.

Screw standardization and people attempting to enforce anything of the sort, it's a cancer in RP communities that squelches creativity and sets a limiter on what is acceptable that quickly becomes 'us and them' mentality.

What makes City of Heroes unique is it's massive scope of all sorts of characters and Roleplay types, don't fall into that nasty pit where elitism breeds and there is quasi community policing of Roleplay, enjoy what you enjoy and meet others of the sort without need to squelch others who also enjoy X, Y or Z.

Make your bio as to what suits your style, IC news report? OOC brief synopsis? 'Hero Corp' database entry? Whatever suits you and your style of storytelling/character prose.

Edited by Latex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, since VV was mentioned - we haven't anything Homecoming-related set up that's similar, have we?

I haven't wanted to use VV for HC stuff since, well, even with some of the same characters, the way things have gone *here* for them can be quite different. ("They were inspired by... wait, that character doesn't exist. They dated that person for years and had... wait, no, ,they exist but are doing something totally different here.")

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

On 8/15/2020 at 12:43 PM, Greycat said:

So, since VV was mentioned - we haven't anything Homecoming-related set up that's similar, have we?

Unfortunately, not to my knowledge, no.

I'm sorely tempted to use the domain I have hosted with GoDaddy (which is mostly dormant) to set up something...

Someone was trying something for HC, but I've not heard from them in months.

So it'd be up to someone else to take up the torch, though VV can work just as well. Although it does have a few snags which can be found in the Discord.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

On 8/18/2020 at 8:17 AM, Archiviste said:

Unfortunately, not to my knowledge, no.

I'm sorely tempted to use the domain I have hosted with GoDaddy (which is mostly dormant) to set up something...

Started another thread on that particular subject:

On 8/10/2020 at 6:06 PM, Latex said:

Screw standardization and people attempting to enforce anything of the sort, it's a cancer in RP communities that squelches creativity and sets a limiter on what is acceptable that quickly becomes 'us and them' mentality.

What makes City of Heroes unique is it's massive scope of all sorts of characters and Roleplay types, don't fall into that nasty pit where elitism breeds and there is quasi community policing of Roleplay, enjoy what you enjoy and meet others of the sort without need to squelch others who also enjoy X, Y or Z.

Make your bio as to what suits your style, IC news report? OOC brief synopsis? 'Hero Corp' database entry? Whatever suits you and your style of storytelling/character prose.

My profiles are short stories, almost as if graphic novel panels. They often depict a scene that details the character and shows off a bit of who they are.

However, I have yet to RP with anyone. Although, I tend to RP as the character in whatever team they are in.

Edited by SylvanMansion
  • Like 3

On 8/10/2020 at 7:06 PM, Latex said:

This. 

Most of mine are written up in third person, but no particular style.

Some are written as an intelligence dossier on the character.

Some are written up as the character speaking in first person to someone else.

It really varies a lot on the character in question and the essence of what flavor I want people to get for that character.

• Like 3

Mine are usually written up as Powers Division files or Arachnos Files or PPD files. Public information that people with minor connections or a little skill can get a hold of. Sorting out what's true and what's BS now, that's the fun stuff.

• Like 2

Midnight Thorn, Overlord of Ivory Tower.  (Everlasting)

In every other MMO that I played, there is usually a dedicated RP site. For example, back when Wildstar was still a relevant MMO, there was a Wildstar RP forum website. On that forum, there was a subforum for character profiles. I always felt that it was the best way to make profiles as you weren't bombarded with the horrible formatting of editing a wiki and you could still add lots of pictures and fonts for flavors. (Seriously, just go to some random RP website of whatever MMO and look at some of the character profiles in the forum post format, it is amaze-balls).

Plus it's great when the thread is literally about your character's profile and that leaves people to comment on it as well (or not if that's not your thing).

• 2 weeks later

this is from Champions online   is this something you think could/would be of use? 

PRIMUS Database

Edited by American Valor

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page

15 hours ago, American Valor said:

this is from Champions online   is this something you think could/would be of use? 

PRIMUS Database

We have something similar: either the old Virtueverse wiki (www.virtueverse.net) or the newer FBSA wiki (https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev) which is maintained by @Mimiru

Edited by Archiviste

On 9/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, Archiviste said:

We have something similar: either the old Virtueverse wiki (www.virtueverse.net) or the newer FBSA wiki (https://fbsa.cityofheroes.dev) which is maintained by @Mimiru

Aweeesome, set up on FBSA 

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page