Which Dominator has the Best Pet?

quantumnukacola2

Opinions?

I know I should be playing MM for pet builds but I really like the dom AT more than any other... I just like having pets that are mini controllers with me 🙂 Guess it's easier to ask for builds or primaries that regularly include the pet, since I've seen a few ice/x and dark/x that skip the pets!

Edited by quantumnukacola2

Fire's probably do the most damage though not durable at all, Gravity's and Dark's are a close second, Dark's Haunts are decently durable and do good damage for pets and the dog does some more, with some control that it doesn't always aim very well. Stone is the tankiest buddy you'll find. Plant is a good ranged attacker with an immob but not the greatest damage, and Electric's Gremlins and Ice's Jack Frost are probably the worst.

So all in all, Gravity, Dark, and Stone are probably the best as they are all reliably tough. Ice's could be if you could provide it 20% def or -tohit, but unless you're Ice/Dark or a Controller, that's probably not happening.

I'd have to say the Gravity pet is probably the best overall.  Very durable and controls for you while you can focus on damage.  Dark would be the way to go if you're looking for more damage.  

Also, don't sleep on the Patron pets, they're very good.  Coupled with your Primary pet and Lore pets you'll be a mini MM.  

• Like 1

Singularity, without a doubt.

Someone mentioned Patron Pets, I'm sorry, but most of them are useless--unless you're a buffer. Seriously though, they have small HP and tends to run in melee, so they die instantly. It'd be challenging for a buffer to keep them alive lol.

28 minutes ago, Heliodorus said:

Singularity, without a doubt.

Someone mentioned Patron Pets, I'm sorry, but most of them are useless--unless you're a buffer. Seriously though, they have small HP and tends to run in melee, so they die instantly. It'd be challenging for a buffer to keep them alive lol.

The Mu pet doesn't rush into anything.  He sits back and blasts and pocket heals you.  The Fortunata has great damage.  Both are fantastic pets.  Aside from say a fire farm they have tons of upside.  

What would be awesome is if you had some way to control the battlefield so that these pets can do their work without fret...

Yeah the Fortunata has Mind Link, she has pretty nice psi damage and tends to range for a bit then runs into melee.  It's a nice additional source of bonus damage that you can just fire and forget every 4 minutes.  

You're correct in some of your assessment that the Patron pets are pretty squishy but there are ways to mitigate that through things like Barrier and some other team buffs.  Outside of maybe getting one shot by Mynx or something it's more in your control how well these pets survive.  

One pet that I think gets slept on is the Dark pet, Haunt. These guys last a shorter duration than "true" pets, but can be perma'ed. One bonus with them is they will attack whatever you launch them at relentlessly, so the damage is more focused than other pets. It's most useful against bosses in my experience. Haunts do die sometimes, but even at +8x4 they often survive for me, due to all the -ToHit in Dark.

Interesting, I've played with most of the patron pets except Coralax and had quite good experiences. After I lock down the field, there's not so much worry about them dying. For me, they usually run out of time before they get killed. They are just a nice little bit of fire and forget help.

17 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

One pet that I think gets slept on is the Dark pet, Haunt. These guys last a shorter duration than "true" pets, but can be perma'ed. 

If you are quick and have a good Kin handy, you can even stack them for a bit.

For me the two worst pets on Dominators are Fire Imps and Gremlins. Neither of them has good protection, and their AI often makes them aggro nearby packs. On an Electric Dominator I'd personally rather take the Mu patron pet than the Gremlins. The Mu guy won't wander far and mostly stays alive. The Gremlins will invite the entire map to dinner with the wife and kids.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later

So far various characters have the dark, earth, ice, and fire pets. The dark is on a Controller but I will try a dark dom later. The 'troller just got his pet but it seems okay so far.

The other three are all on doms: ice/ice, earth/earth, fire/fire.

Jack Frost seems fairly strong and his pathfinding is good. It's hard to lose track of him because of the annoying "icesword" sound that he makes all the time.Certain powers - like Vanguard psi blades - can take him down fast.

"Stoney" is tough and usually can keep up to the group but sometimes gets hung up by staircases and banisters. If tough old Stoney gets defeated you know its time to retreat and regroup. lol.

The fire imps are fragile but I find them versatile. if one drops you still have two to draw aggro. If you need to stealth for a bit they are easy to unsummon and summon later. In fact sometimes it is better to resummon them than heal them. They can be aggressive and aggro things best left alone ( me and friends have a saying: death by fire imps:) ) but overall they are my favourites.

I do think Jack Frost is underrated a bit.  He got some nice buffs from where he was originally including chilling embrace and 25% base defense against most things.  Heck throw in the 2 +def pet IO's and maneuvers and he'd be close to softcap.  Add barrier and he pretty much would be even at minimum.  With some investment you can make him one of the most sturdy pets for a dom (along with sing, doggo and stonie), and doms often have trouble keeping pets alive. He also has a lot of nice attacks, does good damage, and also has his own hold attack.  

Edited by Riverdusk

• 3 weeks later
On 9/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, VV said:

If you are quick and have a good Kin handy, you can even stack them for a bit.

Is this true (for Patron pool pets)? The only reason I have to doubt this is based on my experience with Crabber's "T1" pets; they behave subtly different than Fire Imps (my experience with Dominator pets) . I never had my Crabbermind playing with a /Kin, and I had the recharge for the Patron pet set to be just good enough that I could resummon it when it expired (from the timer).

From memory:

Fire Imps: Stick around until defeated; if fewer than three are defeated, a resummon gets you three new instances all at once.

Spiderlings: Stick around until the timer expires (or defeated); if fewer than three are defeated, a resummon will 'reload' you up to three, but the new ones will expire on the original timer (of the previously surviving/non-replaced pets).

Patron pets exist outside the Crabbermind secondary, and neither of these describe the T1/T2 mastermind pet resummons, so I suppose the Patron pets could behave 'better'.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:58 PM, tidge said:

Is this true (for Patron pool pets)?

No, not at all. As far as I know, the only "pets" you can stack are the Shades from Haunt, and they are not exactly like regular pets.

14 minutes ago, VV said:

No, not at all. As far as I know, the only "pets" you can stack are the Shades from Haunt, and they are not exactly like regular pets.

Also not a "real pet", but the ATO spawns can have multiple instances at once.

I have 3 MM's and one dominator. All of the MM pets can be pushed out of the way or walked through. But of my Dark Dom pets cannot. Is this true for ALL dominator pets? or just Dark?

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty