Ultimate monitor setup

xl8

Hello,

I just bought the Alienware AW2720HF...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YQHGC9L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And have been both blown away and disappointed.

Blown away with the incredible rendering, but disappointed at how text and icons get pixelated because they're so detailed.
I've also ordered a Dell S-Series...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2L5CXO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which has a 2560x1440 resolution. This resolution is what I'm used to playing on and have no issues with resizing windows and displaying text.

I'm not a moneybags and will return the one that doesn't perform as well.

I looked on the forums and saw one or two posts about playing CoH across multiple monitor setups and using bigger screens, but there were no images provided.
Could those of you using multiple monitors (vertical and horizontal) be so kind as to post some images of your setup and include your specs so as to give a clearer idea of what kind of visual experience we can strive for with this old workhorse of a game?

I've included images of my different screens below. They're in the replies so I can upload them full size.

One of the game on a 27" imac cinema screen and another on the above Alienware as a nice by side.

I was playing on a 2011 suped up (for the time) video editing imac with 32gb ddr3 ram and a 500gb ssd drive.

After getting frustrated with slow loading times, I bought the Alienware Aurora R10. I'm pushing the graphics capabilities to max so it's not quiet by any means and I REALLY do not like windows 10 or any other version of Windows, but I'm prepared to give it a go to see if I can get a better gaming experience.

TL/DR Plz show some pictures of you have a multiple monitor/32inch screen setup.

Thx!

Aurora R10 - you can just make out blurred text and icons.

2099779952_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.31bdc904615933b635d3cb6e40a00c5c.png

I had to resave as jpegs to reduce file size but hopefully comparison is still there...Base.thumb.jpg.bdf47d79a6b3b5f5fa65c5fd62a798f8.jpg

Old Imac

430675811_TalostRain2.thumb.jpg.7fab41d4fa5713e04997ddba4527ac0f.jpg

Aurora R10

1285075282_TalosTrain.thumb.jpg.620425afc8919bff789fc31f512893b0.jpg

Old Imac

Talos.thumb.jpg.ff3107e66b53b25a0ab541f87eda7a4b.jpgAurora R10

Talos.thumb.jpg.fbe143eaf4b31a33a198ebbb77eb648b.jpg

Old Imac

Note* These are screenshots, but what I'd actually like to see are large monitors and multiple monitor setups.

14 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Some nice setups but nothing that shows the game performing over multiple screens.
Godzilla (pictured) is the kind of setup I'm mulling, but it maybe too immersive. It's nice to stare off into the distance now and again.

10 minutes ago, xl8 said:

Some nice setups but nothing that shows the game performing over multiple screens.
Godzilla (pictured) is the kind of setup I'm mulling, but it maybe too immersive. It's nice to stare off into the distance now and again.

Ah, I misunderstood what you were asking. I only have the game displayed on one monitor.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

From what I remember, I don't think it plays nice when stretched across screens. But that's from vague discussion memories.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

6 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

From what I remember, I don't think it plays nice when stretched across screens. But that's from vague discussion memories.

There's some issues with running multiple programs in the background on different connected monitors, but I've read many people run the game by stretching it in windowed mode across screens.

Edited by xl8

3 hours ago, xl8 said:

There's some issues with running multiple programs in the background on different connected monitors, but I've read many people run the game by stretching it in windowed mode across screens.

Ah, I've read that many simply play in one screen and run things like forums or other apps in their other monitors.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I went the other direction. Gaming rig has a single large curved monitor at 144Hz. L-shaped desk. Workstation is to the right of gaming rig with dual-24s. I like simple.

32 inch? What resolution does it have?

Just now, xl8 said:

32 inch? What resolution does it have?

Still the ol 1920X1080. Decided until a vid card comes out that can push at least 60FPS across the board I wouldn't bother with a 4k monitor. Plain jane gtx 1080 on a 7 year old motherboard at the moment. Figure Cyberpunk or the new Vamp the Masquerade games may force an upgrade.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I went the other direction. Gaming rig has a single large curved monitor at 144Hz. L-shaped desk. Workstation is to the right of gaming rig with dual-24s. I like simple.

Granted it depends on your lighting, but what's the flare factor on something like that? I've shied away from curved screens (in general) for that reason alone.

Just now, WanderingAries said:

Granted it depends on your lighting, but what's the flare factor on something like that? I've shied away from curved screens (in general) for that reason alone.

I've never noticed any but my window is covered by blinds and a jolly roger flag and neither my ceiling fan light nor side lamp are in a position to cause me issues.

18 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

As I remember (and it's been a while) it used to function very well across multiple monitors - or more generally - wide aspect ratios. As the game's display was made wider, it would have a wider and wider field of view (fov). The problem arose after PvP was added to the game when it was realized that the wider fov gave a tactical advantage, as players with wide aspect ratios / multiple monitors could see things that other players couldn't and it was deemed unfair. After that, the way the game scales at wider aspects was changed. I can't remember if it just stretched or if the horizontal fov was fixed, and making the window wider decreased the vertical fov to maintain the same aspect ratio.

That's hearsay from what I remember, I didn't experience it myself, and I haven't tested it myself on Homecoming.

This also may not be a factor with the Godzilla setup above, as the aspect ratio would still be pretty close to a normal display, just using more pixels.

That being said, there would be two main ways to play across multiple monitors. One would be to play windowed and have it stretched across multiple monitors. The second would be to use a "surround" (Nvidia) or "eyefinity" (AMD) setup. Basically merging multiple discrete monitors so the OS only sees a single display. This would allow playing in fullscreen (borderless or exclusive) across multiple monitors. There is one caveat to this. Since Windows would only see a single monitor, it means that when you fullscreen something (like a browser) it would be stretched across all monitors. Likewise, when utilizing the snap (left, right, and quadrants). You could toggle it on/off between gaming sessions, but that's pretty tedious.

I ran with a 3x1080p setup for a while, but I eventually stopped because super wide aspect ratios weren't well supported and the normal desktop use case was pretty bad. Right now I use a 1440p 144hz monitor as my primary and 2x1080p 60hz monitors (one on each side).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Still the ol 1920X1080. Decided until a vid card comes out that can push at least 60FPS across the board I wouldn't bother with a 4k monitor. Plain jane gtx 1080 on a 7 year old motherboard at the moment. Figure Cyberpunk or the new Vamp the Masquerade games may force an upgrade.

Dun, Dun, DUNNN! Hope your wallet's heavy: nVidia 3090

The 3080 has tested incredibly well in 4k across a pretty wide spectrum of games; there's a few specific handfuls that have circumstantial settings that sit below an average of 60 FPS. The 3090 is going to cake walk the gaming industry.

41 minutes ago, Sir Myshkin said:

Dun, Dun, DUNNN! Hope your wallet's heavy: nVidia 3090

The 3080 has tested incredibly well in 4k across a pretty wide spectrum of games; there's a few specific handfuls that have circumstantial settings that sit below an average of 60 FPS. The 3090 is going to cake walk the gaming industry.

If the 90s actually provided twice the performance for that >2X price, maybe, but so far I've been more than happy with the 80s.

15 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Figure Cyberpunk or the new Vamp the Masquerade games may force an upgrade.

Cyberpunk 2077 specs released yesterday. You'll be fine with a 1080gtx

• Thanks 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.