Returning player need help with building basics

ProPain Tank

Hi all, I am so amazingly happy that homecoming brought back CoH, I had so much unfinished business to take care of. I’m remaking most of my old favorites and I’d like to (for me) take things to the next level.

I rolled a fire fire for concept reasons, the name was just too fun to resist. But I remember being really happy with mine back in the day.

I never really did builds before but I’d like to try and see what’s involved. But to be honest I haven’t got a real clue how to go about it.

I want to make him for content not for farming and he needs to be tough enough to live up to the name TANK.

I know fire fire was considered the squishiest of tanks but I’m hoping that can be mitigated by a proper build.

ProPain is approaching 22 now so will be SO slotted as soon as I make enough inf.

How do you know which sets you need and how many slots? 

Like for instance stamina, I have it 3 slotted and at the moment that’s the stat that determines combat for me, I suck through stamina fast. I see builds where it’s not not 6 slotted yet at the moment I need more of it so I was going to add more. Is it capped so adding more slots doesn’t help?

anyway I would love all the help I can get. I’m not terribly concerned about doing it all myself if there is already a cookie cutter build for Tough Fire Fire tank, but I’d surely like to understand what goes into making a build.

thanks for all your help

One quick tip is that you can always have enough money by 22 to buys SOs. Probably the easiest way to do it - there are many - is to convert Reward Merits to Enhancement Converters under the Salvage part of the menu at a Merit terminal. You get three enhancements for each merit exchanged and they sell for c.65000 influence at the Auction House (type /ah in chat to access from anywhere). That will easily net you a few million for running a TF or even just collecting the exploration badges for a couple of low level zones (5 Reward Merits per zone).

Once you have the cash flow solved you can start thinking about the build optimization at your leisure...

P.S. don't 6 slot stamina (except in rare case where slotting 6 enhancements from an invention set makes sense...). As a returning player you probably remember THIS. Short version, after slotting 3 SOs of the same type the benefits drop off massively

1 hour ago, Metatheory said:

type /ah in chat to access from anywhere

Minor correction - /ah only works in the open world, not in instances. So you can't access the AH inside mission maps or bases, for example.

• City Council

Hi @ProPain Tank,

Welcome home! Glad you found your way back to Paragon City (unless you're one of those dastardly Villains we work hard to thwart!). Either way, glad you found your way! 😁

• Like 1

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Welcome back!  Congrats on your new tank, I'm sure you'll love it. Here's my tips:

Look for the Tools section on this forum. In there is a link to download Mid's Hero Designer. Get it, love it.

There's a bunch of great builds in these Tanker forums.  People here have been joking that Fire Armor is the squishiest, but it's still tough enough to get everything done.  I'm posting links to sample builds from Infinitum and Camel. There's a few more builds on the first few pages of these forums too.

Warning: some of the sets they use are really expensive, or might not be able to be slotted until you're level 50.

BUT if you're buying SOs you might as well craft up IOs. They'll cost about the same (salvage is WAY cheaper in Homecoming) and they won't expire like SOs do. Couple ways to do this:

• buy the salvage on the auction house then go to a crafting table and buy the recipe
  • buy the recipe and salvage on the AH
  • buy the crafted IO on the AH
    • There's a pretty good market going with common stuff being fairly cheap. You can buy the standard Acc, Dam, etc IOs, or buy single IOs from a set that do Acc+Dam, Dam+Rech, etc. Frankenslotting.

Endurance: there are IOs that give bonuses to endurance. There's a Performance Shifter +End that randomly gives you a burst of endurance a few times a minute.  In the Health category there's ones from Numina, Miracle, and others that boost your endurance recovery. 

And you just need a few more levels before you get Consume, then your woes are over!

Last tip: Bases are amazing. Don't know which server you're on but in the /help channel ask if there's a universal base you can use. It'll have teleporters, trainers, hospital, crafting stuff, etc.  Everything except personal storage. But when you're ready you can create your own SG, everything is free, no prestige needed, and put what you want in there. Invite your alts to your SG with /altinvite and promote them with /promote.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Welcome back!  Congrats on your new tank, I'm sure you'll love it. Here's my tips:

Look for the Tools section on this forum. In there is a link to download Mid's Hero Designer. Get it, love it.

There's a bunch of great builds in these Tanker forums.  People here have been joking that Fire Armor is the squishiest, but it's still tough enough to get everything done.  I'm posting links to sample builds from Infinitum and Camel. There's a few more builds on the first few pages of these forums too.

Warning: some of the sets they use are really expensive, or might not be able to be slotted until you're level 50.

BUT if you're buying SOs you might as well craft up IOs. They'll cost about the same (salvage is WAY cheaper in Homecoming) and they won't expire like SOs do. Couple ways to do this:

• buy the salvage on the auction house then go to a crafting table and buy the recipe
  • buy the recipe and salvage on the AH
  • buy the crafted IO on the AH
    • There's a pretty good market going with common stuff being fairly cheap. You can buy the standard Acc, Dam, etc IOs, or buy single IOs from a set that do Acc+Dam, Dam+Rech, etc. Frankenslotting.

Endurance: there are IOs that give bonuses to endurance. There's a Performance Shifter +End that randomly gives you a burst of endurance a few times a minute.  In the Health category there's ones from Numina, Miracle, and others that boost your endurance recovery. 

And you just need a few more levels before you get Consume, then your woes are over!

Last tip: Bases are amazing. Don't know which server you're on but in the /help channel ask if there's a universal base you can use. It'll have teleporters, trainers, hospital, crafting stuff, etc.  Everything except personal storage. But when you're ready you can create your own SG, everything is free, no prestige needed, and put what you want in there. Invite your alts to your SG with /altinvite and promote them with /promote.

Thanks for the shout out!

To ProPain Tank,  if you need any custom advice - survivability is my specialty - just pm me or post in my build thread - I would be happy to help.