Praetorian looking to Relocate - the city or the islands?

Gulbasaur

I'd give my name, but I wouldn't want to brag. I've been called something of an "up and comer" in Imperial City lately.

I've been moonlighting in some official PDD business and also helping the Resistance from time to time...  in these uncertain times, you have to take the work you can get. Frankly, both sides are as bad as each other. For every "defuse the bombs" there's a "kill this informant" or a "start an interdimensional war" and frankly neither of them paint themselves in a positive light. I'm not wild about Cole, but at the same time half of the Resistance are so incoherent and hypocritical that I'm surprised they haven't imploded. Then again, half of Cole's Loyalists are "just following orders" to such an extent that I wonder if they're even paying attention. 

I've met some fairly friendly Arachnos agents recently, as well as some lumbering morons who tried to kill me, but I guess that survival of the fittest is their mantra and several of them were frankly operating above their pay grade. By comparison, my experiences of Longbow have been short and businesslike. A little corporate, if you ask me. I've heard about some sort of Phalanx - are they as uptight as the Longbow?

So, those who made the leap: where should I settle down? Head for the shining blue skyscrapers of Paragon City or the deep red sunsets of the Rogue Isles?

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

'Not going to play the "character game" here... So consider this answer coming from me rather than from Kai or Tav or Arte.

On the level of pure game-play practicality, the first thing you have to consider is social. Do you want to team regularly or mostly run solo with that character? Because going red-side will give you much less opportunity to play with groups. It's not far off from playing gold-side, in all honesty. There are many, many more players active blue-side, and that makes finding a team a whole lot easier in Paragon.

If you don't mind soloing most of the time? Red-side's writing is better and the zones are more interesting.  If it suits them, personality-wise. That makes it worth it.

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

9 hours ago, Coyotedancer said:

'Not going to play the "character game" here... So consider this answer coming from me rather than from Kai or Tav or Arte.

Thanks, but I actually wanted in character answers and thought it would be a fun roleplay exercise! 

I'm going to go rogue (or more likely vigilante for that fear power) but I'm trying to make this character as story-driven as possible. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

*Luke reads the bulletin asking for advice, nods a bit, and pens an answer*

First I must say, I don't see anything wrong with bragging if it is truth. Personally, I don't bother with one of those outdated super hero names, I am Luke Minhere, and if you spend anytime in Paragon City, especially around Steel or Skyway, you will see me modeling todays most fashionable underwear via billboards. Don't fall in love, and for the record, my sidekicks in those escapades are all female. With that said, I do have some advice for you. Stay away from the Islands, the water there will turn you ghoulish and there are people who will try and throw up on you, right out on the street. I know people will claim the same in the city, but at least there aren't officers standing there watching them do it. The ones in Paragon have to stay closer to, and in, the sewers, where they belong. As far as worrying about teams, again, let me impart some advice. Don't join them. You can make a fortune freelancing, trust me. If you need a team, there are always some suckers who will join for minimal pay. Trust me, not all of my bank has come from my awesomely good looks. Besides, you can take a trip to the Islands anytime you like, though I can't see why you would like. As far as Arachnos goes, losers, everyone of them. They don't pay near what they should, especially since you will be fighting against every sup that stretches spandex. Live in comfort while you adventure in style is what I say, among many other great words of intellect. 
Paragon City is your best bet. I see this notice is a bit old possibly, and I am in hopes you actually see my response before it is too late. However, you can always learn your lesson and hitch a ride back to civilization. I have met some people from where you are from, and you should be thanking every god out there that you were able to transition to here, even if you are stuck Rogue Islanding it for a while. Peace, and remember, it isn't truly heroic, unless you truly do it in style. 

Don't Mind Using My Name,
Luke Minhere

P.S. You may be tempted to hit Pocket D, but last I was in there I couldn't find any shorties better than a Paragon 6....Rogue Island 8. 

Edited by Paragon Vanguard
  • Like 1

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

• 2 weeks later
On 10/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, Six Six said:

If you have already failed to see the light of Emperor Cole's ways, then Lord Recluse will have no use for your kind in the Isles. Go frolic among the so-called heroes. We villains have standards to uphold.

No we don't. Have you -seen- some of the bargain basement cons Big Spider pulls out of the Zig and dumps in Mercy? Some of them don't even last a day before they disappear, never to be seen or heard from again. I think the snakes eat them.

Look, Praetorian person, you want blue skies, green grass, and as many clenched sphincters as you can shove a steel rod up, you got to Paragon city. Just be warned, all the blatant crimes in broad daylight they have going on over there may come as a bit of a shock, after leaving Imperial City.

You wanna do what you want and dare anyone to stop you, you come to the Isles. Simple as that.

Either way, make sure you make a visit to Primal Earth Hamidon and kick him in the goo. I'm told for Praetorians its very cathartic.

• Like 1

Lord Recluse is equal opportunity. If one has the strength to survive and flourish, there are many opportunities to grab power. If one does not possess such strength, than one does not even last a day in Mercy before disappearing, never to be seen or heard from again.

Midnight Thorn, Overlord of Ivory Tower.  (Everlasting)

Ah, cunning and intellect are also forms of strength. The mistake many make is believing there is only one type of strength and not preparing accordingly. This is an oversight that leads many disappearances.

• Like 1

Midnight Thorn, Overlord of Ivory Tower.  (Everlasting)

• 3 weeks later

The islands will have opportunity for those bold and strong enough to grab them , if you however feel , let us say, insecure, about your mastery over magik or whicever other parlour trick you call power. . . . . then the big heroes city will be better for you.. . . . .one thing you should`ve learned tho if you were ever amongst the powers division, power is a path one threads alone.....sure you can have allies here and there, but if you intend to seek the path to power, then you will be alone most of your time.

Draco ex Salvete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

Emperor Cole did nothing wrong and Lord Recluse is following in his footsteps to bring peace to the newfound dimension of Primal Earth.

To understand the coin you must visit both sides if only to see how hypocritical Paragons Heroes are!

Hypocritical?! 

Look, Praetorian, it's been two months. You've probably made your decision by now, and judging from all the answers, I'm going to assume you went to the Isles, and I'm going to assume you're climbing Lord Recluse's ladder and you're being happily rewarded for it. 

But, the jobs you are taking when you go preform heists in Paragon only hurt your own people. Kallisti Wharf has a large amount of Praetorian refugees integrating within society. Paragon City is home to the superhero team, the New Praetorians. The FBSA and Vanguard work hard to keep Praetorians safe. Freedom Corps, Kord Industries, and Portal Corp is happily taking in Praetorian scientists to work for them to build a better world.

Paragon City hosts a thriving community for people like you. 

My advice to you is to go to Paragon not as an enemy but as a visitor. Go speak to fellow Praetorians and ask them for their experiences. Compare them with your own and make your own, final choice. 

All else I can ask is that you be careful of the institutions and organizations that are taking advantage of great Praetorian minds, like the Council, who wish to dominate the world under an iron fist. The ones who wish to hurt people. 

I believe in second chances.

((  Prewarning; in-character post which skirts with subject matter which may be considered provocative, but is intended in the context of the direction of the fictitious discussion taking place.  Views expressed are not personal views of the player.  ))

"Second chances?"

Second chances for what exactly?

To integrate in to a society which holds your cultural identity to be anathema?

To give up who you are in the name of fitting in?

NO!

The Isles are the place to be.  

Lord Recluse doesn't care about your background or your identity.  If you can stand firm on your own two feet (or on the shoulders of those below you), then you -get- to stand!  

The refugees are just as welcome in the Etoiles, and they don't need to grovel to government officials to try and earn a place to sleep.  They can simply take what they need for themselves.  They can use the skills they've developed living in a doomed world and put them to good use for their own survival!

And when you've taken what you need for yourself, like any good and mindful careworker, THEN you can dedicate your efforts to helping those in need around you.  It doesn't do you or your fellow Praetorians any good to weaken yourself in an effort to assimilate.

Stand tall and stand proud in the Rogue Isles!

• Like 1