Controversial Opinion of Population Decline

Solarverse

Before the thread gets locked, I'd like to give some of my thoughts for the population decline.

1. Lack of new content or meaningful changes to existing content for quite some time.
  2. Game has been out over a year, interest has naturally faded.
  3. Covid-19 pandemic; people are busy.
  4. (Farming out alts in AE)

I realize the dev team is all volunteers, so we can't really expect anything as far as new content creation goes. With all the gaming options these days vying for people's attention, it's natural to see people move on to other things. I myself never played the game during live, so there is still plenty of "new" and fresh content that keeps me interested in the mid-level range.

Edited by Giovanni Valia
Sp
  • Like 1

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

6 hours ago, Solarverse said:

...however, this is what I have seen with my own two eyes. They get a new character, they go straight to the AE building, they power level to 50 in less than a few hours, then they build to max capacity, then they do the same end game content over and over and over and over and over and over.....you get the idea.

But here's the thing.  Even assuming you are 100% correct, so what?  If the people you're describing didn't have the option of PL'ing their characters straight to 50, THEY WOULD NOT BE HERE AT ALL.  If that's the way they want to play, getting rid of PL'ing isn't going to change them.  They'll just do the PL'ing in some other game, burn out, and leave it.

• Like 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

9 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

But here's the thing.  Even assuming you are 100% correct, so what?  If the people you're describing didn't have the option of PL'ing their characters straight to 50, THEY WOULD NOT BE HERE AT ALL.  If that's the way they want to play, getting rid of PL'ing isn't going to change them.  They'll just do the PL'ing in some other game, burn out, and leave it.

What I am finding curious in all of this is the notion that it is repeating content at 50 that is "boring" and "driving people away", yet somehow repeating the same 1 to 50 content repeatedly is in no way boring.  Something does not add up there.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

What I am finding curious in all of this is the notion that it is repeating content at 50 that is "boring" and "driving people away", yet somehow repeating the same 1 to 50 content repeatedly is in no way boring.  Something does not add up there.

I didn't say I agreed with Solarverse's premise.  I just said that even if it was true, it didn't really matter.

Different people like different content.  My girlfriend does iTrials constantly, leads iTrials and leads badge runs.  I mostly do task forces and flashback content.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

6 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I didn't say I agreed with Solarverse's premise.  I just said that even if it was true, it didn't really matter.

Different people like different content.  My girlfriend does iTrials constantly, leads iTrials and leads badge runs.  I mostly do task forces and flashback content.

I was not accusing you of anything, so apologies if there is a misunderstanding.  I completely agree with you - different people like different content.  I have never seen a reason to try and force a particular style of play on others.

I just found it odd in @Solarverse suggesting that PLing to 50 and repeating level 50 content gets boring, but running lower level content ad nauseam is somehow exempts one from the same "boredom".  I can appreciate the passion though and would never begrudge him the ability to express his thoughts and opinions here.

Edited by ShardWarrior

7 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I'm with Iron on this one as well. A game is a game and everyone has the right to get bored and move on to something else. Those who choose to play CoH shouldn't concern themselves with population numbers and activity decline (But, yeah, RIP redside population lol). Just enjoy the game for what it is and for however long we still have it. Don't like it? Then don't play it

26 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

I know, we have established that a page or two ago. So I have considered this during the course of he discussion.

13 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Why doesn't it? Content 1-49, let's say (just a random number) there are 10 missions per level. That would be 490 missions. Now you have skipped all those missions and now you are level 50, playing the same 10 level 50 missions over and over and over and over. That's how I look at it and that is to me how it adds up. Now of course there are way more than 10 missions per level in this game, but that puts it in perspective.

This conversation kind of reminds me of something that was mentioned shortly after the source code was initially released. There were talks of making an "out of the box single player" version of the game, where a user can just download a zip file, unzip it, and then launch a "server" executable, then launch a "client" executable that connects to the server executable. Does anyone know if that ever went anywhere, or if anyone successfully put such a package together? Because as much as I love Homecoming, I'd feel a whole lot better if I had a playable local copy of the game on my own computer in case it and all of the other servers went "belly-up" for some reason...

• Like 3
I'm out.

1 minute ago, Solarverse said:

Why doesn't it? Content 1-49, let's say (just a random number) there are 10 missions per level. That would be 490 missions. Now you have skipped all those missions and now you are level 50, playing the same 10 level 50 missions over and over and over and over. That's how I look at it and that is to me how it adds up. Now of course there are way more than 10 missions per level in this game, but that puts it in perspective.

Right but how many times are you going to run those missions before they get boring?  Defeating Frostfire for the second time isn't adding anything new to the experience. 

Just now, ZacKing said:

Right but how many times are you going to run those missions before they get boring?  Defeating Frostfire for the second time isn't adding anything new to the experience. 

I personally, have run Frostfire dozens of times, and I never get bored of it. In fact, I never get bored of ANY of the 1-49 content. Some people enjoy repetition, it's... calming and comforting to some. Please don't think that your way of thinking is the only way of thinking.

• Like 2
I'm out.

1 minute ago, The Philotic Knight said:

This conversation kind of reminds me of something that was mentioned shortly after the source code was initially released. There were talks of making an "out of the box single player" version of the game, where a user can just download a zip file, unzip it, and then launch a "server" executable, then launch a "client" executable that connects to the server executable. Does anyone know if that ever went anywhere, or if anyone successfully put such a package together? Because as much as I love Homecoming, I'd feel a whole lot better if I had a playable local copy of the game on my own computer in case it and all of the other servers went "belly-up" for some reason...

I'm with you on this one. After this discussion, I think it would be safer to have something like that *just in case.*

This is not really relevant to the discussion per say, but great job @Solarverse with keeping a good eye on the thread and getting in replies. Folks will disagree (like I have) with your opinion, but it is good to see you've shepherd your thread along and keep it on track. Tough topic, lots of opinions. And thank you volunteer Mods!

Edited by Glacier Peak
spelling
  • Like 3

Just now, ZacKing said:

Well, obviously lower levels consist of way more than just Frostfire. I alt like crazy and I still have not done all low level content. But it doesn't matter. Nobody seems to think that maybe I have a point, even though my personal experience says otherwise. What I have personally witnessed reflects what I have written on this thread. So I stand by what I said. Sure, there are many contributing factors as to population loss, however, I won't be one to bury my head in the sand and pretend like what I wrote is not one of them. So it's an agree to disagree thing here for me. However, apparently I am not allowed to have my opinion without people feeling like I am somehow telling others that they can't play that way, or they are playing wrong, or whatever. Even if my opinion is based on personal experience and has nothing to do with trying to control how others play.

But, that is how some people want to take it anyway, so....there is that, lol.

5 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

I personally, have run Frostfire dozens of times, and I never get bored of it. In fact, I never get bored of ANY of the 1-49 content. Some people enjoy repetition, it's... calming and comforting to some. Please don't think that your way of thinking is the only way of thinking.

Ok great for you and I'm happy for you.  I wasn't suggesting my way is better than yours.  far from it.  please don't inject stuff into posts that isn't there.  I was only offering a different opinion to explain some people find running all the mission content again and again is just as boring.  there's no right or wrong.  do what makes you happy. 

2 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

Well, obviously lower levels consist of way more than just Frostfire. I alt like crazy and I still have not done all low level content. But it doesn't matter. Nobody seems to think that maybe I have a point, even though my personal experience says otherwise. What I have personally witnessed reflects what I have written on this thread. So I stand by what I said. Sure, there are many contributing factors as to population loss, however, I won't be one to bury my head in the sand and pretend like what I wrote is not one of them. So it's an agree to disagree thing here for me. However, apparently I am not allowed to have my opinion without people feeling like I am somehow telling others that they can't play that way, or they are playing wrong, or whatever. Even if my opinion is based on personal experience and has nothing to do with trying to control how others play.

But, that is how some people want to take it anyway, so....there is that, lol.

I hear you man.  I don't think the way you're playing is wrong.  if it works for you, go for it.  I also don't think you shouldn't post your observations here. that's what being part of a community is all about. 

• Like 1

Just now, ZacKing said:

please don't inject stuff into posts that isn't there. 

Happens to me all the time, man. I don't think that is what he was doing though, I think he was simply trying to answer your question. Trust me, this is a heated topic and we can all do well to try and not take each other wrong and try to take each other face value. Most of us here respect each other and I would like to see all of us walk away respecting each other. It may be a hot topic, but it does not have to make or break us.

10 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Not sure that was what was being suggested. 

5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

I hear you man.  I don't think the way you're playing is wrong.  if it works for you, go for it.  I also don't think you shouldn't post your observations here. that's what being part of a community is all about. 

3 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Well, what one intends, and what another one hears are often times two different things...

• Thanks 1
I'm out.

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

Look, ladies and gentlemen. Let me just make clear my intentions here before somebody has a chance to place intentions on me before I made them clear on my own. I am not telling people to stop PLing. I am not telling people that farming is bad, I am not even telling people that if they farm, they are doing it the wrong way. All I am saying, is that if you are getting bored with the game, try playing low level content with an alt or two and enjoy a pug here and there.

Trust me, if I start getting bored with the game, that is when I will unleash all of my 50's and start playing the end game content like crazy. I plan to switch back and forth. But right now for me, I am nowhere near bored with the game yet.

This is why I had to place Jubakumbi on ignore, because I can't argue with somebody who places intent on me instead of asking me what my intent is. I can't stand when people do that. So much so that I myself am careful not to do that myself as not to be a hypocrite. So, if anyone is curious as to what my motivations are here, please read the bold face line.  😉

• Like 1

The only thing I really have to contribute is that the population of this game does matter. It takes donations to keep this all going and without that the HC server would not be the project it is now. I don't really foresee any problems meeting those goals for a long time to come but maintaining interest for players is a necessary goal of any MMO.

• Thanks 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

21 minutes ago, The Philotic Knight said:

It would be nice if something so convenient existed. We all know the code is out there in the public space. There's guides on YT for setting up your own server. It just requires a bit of tinkering to run.

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

1 minute ago, Giovanni Valia said:

It would be nice if something so convenient existed. We all know the code is out there in the public space. There's guides on YT for setting up your own server. It just requires a bit of tinkering to run.

and a bit more know-how than i have 😞  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But what do people REALLY think?  I mean REALLY?

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )