First Ever Homecoming Base Contest - The Results!

GM ColdSpark

• Lead Game Master

Homecoming Base Contest Results

Hello everyone,

We have been BLOWN AWAY by the entries to the contest. The community's creativity is evident every time we log in and see your amazing heroes (and villains) zipping around the city and we get reminded of it again at the costume contests - I think it's a cast iron fact that we have the most creative and amazing player-base out there... but.....

Oh my goodness, the base builders... the things you can do... you are like the McGyvers of the game, if I gave you each a paperclip, a carton of egg fried rice and a rocking chair I have no doubt you could craft me a true-to-scale replica of the Golden Gate bridge in no time...

Hopefully people have enjoyed looking at the entries as much as we have - and if you haven't, then take the time to head to the original thread and peruse them because I challenge your collective jaws to not hit the floor.

The ingenuity and diversity of thought processes, the different styles and techniques, I loved every second of being involved with this competition, as did all the other members of the GM team who were part of the judging team, or who just went on a tour because they were intrigued!

I'm going to get to the winners, don't worry - but I wanted first to highlight that we were not looking for any particular theme or style, this was simply an open definition of "the best base" - which of course is subjective. But what was quite telling was the level of consensus between all our judges was pretty high. I was interested to see that when we got to our top 5, we had 5 very different types of base, each sharing a high quality of design and attention to detail as well as a theme that was consistent and well done.

We also each saw different things as we viewed the bases that really made us go wow. I've invited the review team to call some of those out and you can see those in the post below.

As you'll have seen from our post last week for the community vote, we also had 5 bases we felt worthy of being Honourable Mentions. You've been voting on which of those should get an additional prize - and the results from that are now in meaning we have all of our winners.

The Results!

Firstly - the winner of the Honourable Mention Community Vote:

Spoiler

Hallowed Grounds Supergroup, on Everlasting server, designed by Squidget - winning with 58% of the votes - passcode to view is: GHOST-1471 - Link to entry post

They win 5000 merits to be shared between the designers and the in game title of Base Contest Community Choice Winner

And now for our Runners Up!

Spoiler

In 5th place and winning 5000 Merits to be shared between the designers Gold Titles of "Base Contest Runner-Up"

Paragon Galleria Supergroup, on Everlasting server, designed by twentysix passcode to view is: Pshopping-13668 - Link to entry post

In 4th place and winning 5000 Merits to be shared between the designers Gold Titles of "Base Contest Runner-Up"

R.A.T.S. Supergroup, on Everlasting server, designed by Crazy Cat, Paragon Champion, Havox, owt & OokySpooks - passcode to view is: RATCITY-2259 - Link to entry post

In 3rd place and winning 5000 Merits to be shared between the designers Gold Titles of "Base Contest Runner-Up"

The Invincible Ones Supergroup, on Excelsior server, designed by Dacy - passcode to view is: ONES-5030 - Link to entry post

In 2nd place and winning 5000 Merits to be shared between the designers Gold Titles of "Base Contest Finalist"

Simulacrum Supergroup, on Everlasting server, designed by Veracor - passcode to view is: SIMULACRUM-6940 - Link to entry post

Finally, our overall Winner of the first Homecoming Base Contest is....

Spoiler

Grimmsel College Supergroup, on Everlasting server, designed by Phoebus Imago - passcode to view is: GRIMMSEL-8446 - Link to entry post

They win 5000 merits, to be shared between the designers and the Gold Titles of "Base Contest Winner"

image.png.354fd63bd32b74dc1b9ac52651739252.png

Massive Congratulations to all our winners, a huge thank you to all who entered and to the judging team. It was a very difficult task the community gave us to choose these winners and we hope you agree they're all extremely deserving!

Can I ask each of the winners (just the submitters please in the case of multiple builders) to reach out to me on Discord to arrange for me to get your prizes to you.

Edited by GM ColdSpark
  • Like 13

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Lead Game Master

So here are some of our "Wow" moments!

Food_Truck_-_Grimmsel_College.thumb.jpg.c8c87bdb8784f8755ac4c3afa8d69aff.jpg

GM Goodnyght really likes the creative ways you guys merge items together to form something unique, like this food truck!

screenshot_201105-18-04-17.thumb.jpg.35f6209be85f99f96cae071925498498.jpg

GM Miss loved Rat City, she's asked if she can move in please.

screenshot_201105-17-46-53.thumb.jpg.34433efe86acf3f09d87c387af2dc6ab.jpg

GM Mr Conviction loved the clever touches here, with the light streaming in from the windows

screenshot_201106-17-14-16.thumb.jpg.fa2900103b3eef2bfc208acfe5a0259f.jpg

And for me, the aesthetic beauty of places like this, hidden away in a base are really inspiring.

There were so many more - we just wanted to offer up a small sample - once again, on behalf of the team huge congratulations to our winners and indeed all our entrants for your amazing creations!

Edited by GM ColdSpark
  • Like 11

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Retired Lead Game Master

I am beyond thankful for all the work you guys put into these bases. We had so much fun checking them out, exploring, and enjoying what you guys built. Thanks for sharing a piece of your CoX experience with us. 

• Like 11

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

• Retired Community Rep

I’m in shock, too! Thank you so very much! Words do a poor job of conveying the emotion here. Thank you. 

Congratulations to all the winners and a shout out to all the awesome bases which, even if they didn’t get an award, are still awesome!!

-Dacy

• Like 8

I'm really grateful for this win, and --I'm laugh-crying a bit over it.  All of the entries were mind-boggling.  So much beautiful work, so much talent.  I'm also really thankful for the support of our SG members.  Grimmsel College was built to accommodate RP, and so many elements of the current design , those fine details, come out of their RP and their imaginations and their requests.  Come visit us any time!

• Like 10

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!111one

Wow thank you so much!!!!!

This is a bit unexpected, the other bases were so well done I wasn't sure we'd place at all!!

gRATS to all the winners, especially Phoebus for Grimmsel College, and everyone who entered -- if your SG base was on Everlasting, you definitely had RATS crawling through it at some point to sniff things out (and possibly raid snack areas.)

and GM Miss can totally live in Rat City-- just uh, lemme find a few pallets and duct tape so we can make her a house quick.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GM ColdSpark said:

Best make up two beds, I think @GM Smol wanted to move in too...

Oh yes of course! We just found acquired a king size mattress we can saw in half masterfully engineer into two comfortable beds, with lots of glitter and scented marker patterns drawn all over it tailored features to suit high standards of a GM's late night passing out sleep needs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• Retired Game Master

Heart-felt Congratulations to the Base-builder Winner, Runners-up and the Honorable Mention!   Just beautiful, everyone, Bravo !!
I had So Much Fun touring these and all the bases entered in the contest, and am in continual awe at the amazing creativity and base-building skills of our players.  :)

• Like 5

Pshaw, Giz, Phoebs..., Squidget: AWESOME!

Some had teams of builders and some are single-builder works of art. I love all the work you folks do, and as an Everlasting player, I love visiting your places! Thanks from the bottom of my heart for making these available when you do. They create a place in the City world for people to enjoy.

Gotta dig those Rat City parties, too! Go R.A.T.S.!

• Like 3

Congratulations to Phoebus-Imago!  Looking forward to studying your base and gandering at all the details (I love indoor lighting)!  As for my own base (Simulacrum), I actually completed it back in April/May after about 6 months of planning/reworking/building between daily schedules.  I submitted it thinking it might make an honorable mention or something but wasn't expecting to get second place!

GMs, you can distribute my merit prize amongst the other entrants, I don't have need for it!

Edited by Veracor

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

• Retired Community Rep

Contest winners! I was wondering, what don't people know when they tour your bases? What was especially challenging? What, if any, tricks did you use to make something work? What's your favorite part of your base or thing you accomplished in the base, and why?

-Dacy

• Like 1

Thank you so much for nominating me, and to the community for picking my base! Even if I didn't place in the GM-chosen winners, I think I probably feel happier with a community win, since my base is meant to be enjoyed by all. Excellent work to all builders involved with every base that entered! Keep at it!

• Like 3

pop-champagne-bottle-gif.gif

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Shame I didn't get a mention, but I can see why, with pretty much all the winners/runner ups/honorable mentions. Lol! They're very well made! Very creative and some builds are just absolutely crazy in scale! WOW! Congrats to everyone!! 😄 And thank you GMs for running this contest! I DO NOT envy the judges in the slightest. You all must've had quite a rough time trying to settle on decisions. 🙂

• Like 1

• Retired Community Rep

Say, judges...any chance on you releasing the rubric by which you judged bases? Not the scores, just what sort of qualities you were looking at; I'm sure it would help people improve their bases, because subjectively, most people think their bases rock hard, but giving them a list of things to consider could help them/us all see things through fresh eyes, as it were. I'm also sure that it came down to a matter of personal choice, which can't really be quantified, but again, having a list of things to consider would be helpful to most people.

-Dacy

• Like 3

• Retired Community Rep

I highly recommend messaging the base builder If you want a tour of a base; they always know all the little secrets, and it makes it very much more enjoyable if they are available. I toured Rat City with Crazy Cat, and it was utterly charming. Squidget is usually happy to give tours, and you likely won’t find all her amazing nooks if you don’t get a tour. I’m also happy to give tours. I’m guessing that most of the base builders would be happy to show their stuff off. 😊

-Dacy 

• Like 1

As I said in the original thread, these are indeed jaw-dropping, now we need to get stuff like these into the main stream of the game...somehow.

Congratulations to everyone who entered!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Maybe seems a bit skewed toward bases on Everlasting.

Everlasting 5. Excelsior 1.

Other servers - All your bases are belong to dust. (or is that the rest of us. I get confused sometimes)

I guess Everlasting has the best base-building help-sharing community.

Good working together for the good of the community.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I went on a virtual tour and it was cool.  I love the mood in some of these environments.

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up.