The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

First off, how is there not a thread in this forum on this topic yet? 😕

Okay that aside, who else is stoked for the last 2 episodes of season 2?   Share your discussions and theories in this thread.  And remember, use the spoiler feature to hide sensitive info.  This is the way, or so the Devs have spoken.

Oh, and any thoughts on web chatter about possible spin-off series?

I thought this was a spin-off series? I really like the show. It's been well written and very good so far but....

Spoiler

I just don't know if it was necessary to bring Boba Fett into it. Feels like fan service to me.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I think the most controversial thing about The Mandalorian is...

The Mandalorian is a better Space Western than Firefly.  

Why?

Season 2

Seriously though.  It is a well written show.  One of the best Star Wars shows in quite a while in my opinion.  Sure there are a few things that could be better, but who doesn't like the story of a single dad taking his son on adventures and finding new friends along the way to help him raise his kid?

Edited by Ura Hero
  • Haha 1

I just saw the news report that Disney is releasing 10 Star Wars spin-offs, 2 of them spin-off series from of The Mandalorian.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/star-wars-disney-plus-lando-series-mandalorian-spinoffs-1102221/

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

On 12/9/2020 at 7:15 PM, Frostbiter said:

I thought this was a spin-off series? I really like the show. It's been well written and very good so far but....

Hide contents

I just don't know if it was necessary to bring Boba Fett into it. Feels like fan service to me.

It is fan service.  The very best kind of fan service.

I love the show.  This is a callback to the original trilogy, but better, with the best parts of the new stuff thrown in for good measure.  To this old SW fans heart, it's the best Star Wars that ever Star Warsed.

Why can't the new movies be this good?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

Two words:  Dave Filoni.  If you want two more: Jon Favreau.   The movies didn't have them, the TV/internet series does.

There's been libraries-worth written about what went wrong with the sequel trilogy, and though I agree with many of the more brutal comments, I'll take the high road and focus on these two.  

First, no one, and I'm pretty confident in saying no one, know Star Wars better than Dave Filoni, (well, except George Lucas of course).  Dave was George's pupil and he learned well.  He also has a deep appreciation for the source materials Lucas drew inspiration from: serial sci-fi, westerns, and Kurosowa films.  He talks to fans, he understand what they're interested in.  

Jon understands hero movies, really understands them, and he's got a history of pushing the film making technology to the limits.  He did it with Ironman, and he's doing it with The Mandalorian.  That new background technology they're using is the death knell of large-scale green screen usage.  He's in control, but he's humble enough to not dominate, relying heavily on Filoni for lore knowledge, and happy with bringing in some truly dynamic directors, new and old.  (I'm not sure I've ever been this excited with a TV series' directorial team.) And that's another of his strengths:  Jon is well-respected in the industry and can ask for the best and get it.

There's a lot more to add, but as I said, I'll take the high road.  This time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Techwright said:

Two words:  Dave Filoni.  If you want two more: Jon Favreau.   The movies didn't have them, the TV/internet series does.

There's been libraries-worth written about what went wrong with the sequel trilogy, and though I agree with many of the more brutal comments, I'll take the high road and focus on these two.  

First, no one, and I'm pretty confident in saying no one, know Star Wars better than Dave Filoni, (well, except George Lucas of course).  Dave was George's pupil and he learned well.  He also has a deep appreciation for the source materials Lucas drew inspiration from: serial sci-fi, westerns, and Kurosowa films.  He talks to fans, he understand what they're interested in.  

Jon understands hero movies, really understands them, and he's got a history of pushing the film making technology to the limits.  He did it with Ironman, and he's doing it with The Mandalorian.  That new background technology they're using is the death knell of large-scale green screen usage.  He's in control, but he's humble enough to not dominate, relying heavily on Filoni for lore knowledge, and happy with bringing in some truly dynamic directors, new and old.  (I'm not sure I've ever been this excited with a TV series' directorial team.) And that's another of his strengths:  Jon is well-respected in the industry and can ask for the best and get it.

There's a lot more to add, but as I said, I'll take the high road.  This time.

I can't disagree with your assessment.  Those guys really seem to have the magic.  I haven't felt like I was watching "my" Star Wars, since the first episode of this show aired.  It gives me hope for the future of the franchise. 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later
  • 2 weeks later
On 1/16/2021 at 9:42 AM, Voltor said:

Loved the last ep of Season 2.   A nice nod to the end of Rogue One when Vader cut loose.

Brilliant episode, that one.  I liked how it tied up neatly the full two seasons.  Sure there are other stories it clearly points to, but had Disney pulled a Fox and unplugged the show at that point, we'd still have a full story arc.  As it is, now we have a new story arc and cast dynamic to look forward to, and the confirmation of a spinoff series for one of the most popular characters in Star Wars.  Win-Win.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:25 PM, SuperPlyx said:

After seeing how good this show is, can't wait to see the Ahsoka series. If I read it right Dave Filoni  and Jon Favreau are in-charge of making it as well.

I'm apparently a rare species who doesn't fully like how Ahsoka was brought to live action.  She's terribly slow, for one.  Ahsoka's signature style included lightning-fast reflexes.  But I do see the strong potential for improvement, so I'm not dismissive.  The animated Ahsoka might well be my favorite Star Wars character, so I'd be silly not to give the team a chance to grow the live-action version.

If the live series is to have Sabine, eventually Ezra, and especially Thrawn, I'm fully onboard.  I don't know how physically fit Lars Mikkelsen might be to inhabit the live version of Thrawn, but I think if that is sufficient, he should be given the first rights to the role, like Katie was given for Bo-Katan.  His voice performance was that good. (I still get chills hearing Thrawn seeth at Governor Price "I will DEAL with you later...'Governor'.")  If he's unable to do it, I do hope they'll consider Benedict Cumberbatch, and Matt Smith, two men who just feel like they too could inhabit the role.  Benny actually would make sense from a Disney standpoint, as the corp has been starting to shift popular actors from one franchise (in this case, Marvel) to another franchise (Star Wars), and it would be a bit like playing an evil Sherlock Holmes, to boot.  Matt's younger than the character would be, but he's skilled at playing an old soul, and the makeup effects on Mandalorian have been top-notch, so aging him wouldn't be a problem. And the few times he played a compromised Doctor, he chilled with the performance of a cunning mind.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later
On 12/12/2020 at 1:11 AM, Techwright said:

If you watch the making of series or nearly anything where Dave Filoni is talking, it's clear this guy is a genius.  There's a section where he's talking to the other directors about how the most important moment in the prequal trilogy is when Darth Maul kills Qui-Gon, because Qui-Gon would have been Anikin's father figure... and how only in his absence was Palpatine was able to manipulate him into becoming Darth Vader.   The other directors listening to him just sit there in silent awe.  It makes the first 3 movies so much better if you think about it that way (yeah.. the acting is still horrible, nothing can fix that).  The Clone Wars went a long way into fixing the original Trilogy, and it looks like he's going to either fix the final trilogy with the Mandalorian, or just make them irrelevant, altogether.  

I think our Star Wars is in good hands with these two.

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

(True Story) When my family went around the table at Christmas talking about what we were thankful for this year.  I considered saying how Covid19 hadn't affected any of us directly with our health or financially.  Or perhaps I could say something related to growing closer to my family during quarantine.  But ultimately, what I was most thankful for in 2020 was the Season 2 Finale of The Mandalorian.

Edited by Shred Monkey

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

So this show just got dragged back into the spotlight, and not in a great way.

I don't want to get into the politics of the situation.  These forums are a friendly retreat from most of that, and I'd like to keep it that way, please.

However, I do want to ask a question about the character itself:  should the character of Cara Dune be recast, or should Star Wars just allow the character to go her separate way?  Technically, the end of season 2 gives the perfect out for the character.  It's pretty apparent season 3 will heavily focus on the Mandalorians and their struggles.  Cara could be stated as going back to the marshall's office, never to be seen on screen again, or turning in her star in order to wander again, nevermore to be seen.

I think recasting her would be challenging, given the physique being such an integral part of the character.   I'm not against it, though.  I just like my fiction to be internally consistent, and a recast would potentially disrupt that for me.

Then again, another recent recast decision was a very welcome one, but that had some in-setting justification (as flimsy as it may have been).  So I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to find some explanation for a new face for Cara.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, Mr. Vee said:

It's purportedly a big galaxy. No reason for him to keep running into people he already knows like he's space David Copperfield.

The "It's a small world after all" syndrome, as I like to call it.  Yeah, Hollywood is bad about that.  You make a very good point.  Mando may be in the fringes of the galaxy, but that's still huge.  And in Star Wars, you have entire planets that are one big city, dozens of stories high.  That's a lot of people.

• 2 weeks later
On 12/11/2020 at 9:25 AM, Grindingsucks said:

Because they weren't trying to make movies,

They were trying to make money. 

Its the same thing that's wrong with the prequels and to a lesser extent Return of the Jedi.

• 2 weeks later
On 2/12/2021 at 10:33 PM, Techwright said:

So this show just got dragged back into the spotlight, and not in a great way.

I don't want to get into the politics of the situation.  These forums are a friendly retreat from most of that, and I'd like to keep it that way, please.

However, I do want to ask a question about the character itself:  should the character of Cara Dune be recast, or should Star Wars just allow the character to go her separate way?  Technically, the end of season 2 gives the perfect out for the character.  It's pretty apparent season 3 will heavily focus on the Mandalorians and their struggles.  Cara could be stated as going back to the marshall's office, never to be seen on screen again, or turning in her star in order to wander again, nevermore to be seen.

Cara Dune is one of the few people left who are in that "friends of Grogu" group from season 1 besides Mando.  But other than that, she has no real plot value other than being another fighter.  The actress was great for action shots, but very replicable.  I don't think there's any reason to bother trying to keep Cara Dune in future shows, but if they decide to go with a new actress, I'm not going to object to that either.

And as for what she did to get fired.... no sympathy from me.  Whether you see her as a martyr or a fool, I just see her as unemployed.   It's not hard to just stop yourself before you click the submit/send/post button.  I do it all the time. 

Active on Excelsior: