What the patch has changed for me

DougGraves

On 1/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, UltraAlt said:

They aren't a mix. They are  based on the type of enemy that you arrest/defeat.

If you fight against the groups related to your origin, they will drop enhancements for your origin.

Clockwork aren't going to drop magic. (pretty sure they drop tech only. I think Vazh drop science.)

Circle of Thorns aren't going to drop tech. They drop only magic.

Salvage works the same way.

Vahzilok are indeed the science enemy group.

Also the reason people who rolled Science origin toons back in the day used to get pitied.  Way back when, you didn't have the current flexibility or variety of low level missions, and 1-10 lasted a lot longer than it does these days.

Dying under a wave of projectile vomit is not the most noble of ways to go back to the hospital...

And the consequences of going back to the hospital to wash zombie vomit out of your clothes was debt that *COMPLETELY* stopped you gaining any experience until you cleared it off.  So if you were having real problems with Vahz, then you could just stall out.  And Vahz aren't much easier on a team...  So quite a lot of Science toons just did other people's missions and never did their own.

Edited by Li_Sensei

On 1/8/2021 at 1:57 PM, DougGraves said:

Overall nice quality of life improvements. 

Ironic that so many people took the time to tell you why you're wrong and defend the changes considering you also like the changes.  Welcome to the interwebs

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

5 hours ago, Li_Sensei said:

Dying under a wave of projectile vomit is not the most noble of ways to go back to the hospital...

Yes, "noble".

Far more "noble" to allow zombies to roam about THE CITY attacking innocent bystanders. More "noble" to allow the minions of Dr Vazilok free access to kidnap and convert the citizens of THE CITY into zombies (some with bombs strapped to their backs!).

So, I'm guess what you are saying it is humiliating to you to be transmatted/teleported to the hospital coated in vomit because you were defeated by the creation and followers of Dr Vazhilok.

I have characters that were created specifically as zombie-hunters, so, yeah, there is that ...

5 hours ago, Li_Sensei said:

So if you were having real problems with Vahz, then you could just stall out.  And Vahz aren't much easier on a team...

So you are saying that Vahz are harder to defeat and/or difficult to fight?

Looks like that "greater challenge" that so many players are looking for.

Kind of like Malta and Carnival of Shadows (in the 40's at least) ... and Tsoo (like level 12-15)...

Some people tend to want to avoid the "difficult" parts of the game and then later say "nothing is a challenge".

Often times, it is learning how to deal with a group of foes. Once you know their behaviors and your character limits, it becomes much easier to survive and defeat the foes.

It isn't always about being a bull-in-a-china-shop or refusing to retreat from a foe.

It isn't necessarily about fighting the closest foe or taking out the boss/highest-foe in the mob first.

Each group of villains has a weakness. Part of the fun of the game is figuring out how a villain group operates, what their weakness is, and how to exploit take advantage of it.

In relation to this thread

So the lesson here is ::  if you don't want to fight the Vazh and you want your archetype origin enhancements to drop, then don't pick science as an archetype!

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:08 PM, SwitchFade said:

@UltraAlt Vahzilok are much harder at those levels. Their damage is toxic, horridly effective. Between the corpse bombs, the Dot, rez and eidolon debuffs.... They earned their reputation for sure.

And they used to be worse...

I feel like the point Ultra is making is that there are people who clamor for "more challenge" while they sit inside Council Radio Missions all day instead of fighting enemy groups that can actually pose a challenge. Vahz just happen to be the "low level" challenge enemy that everyone hates fighting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:08 PM, SwitchFade said:

Vahzilok are much harder at those levels. Their damage is toxic, horridly effective. Between the corpse bombs, the Dot, rez and eidolon debuffs.... They earned their reputation for sure.

And they used to be worse...

Yes. They were more difficult and I still have character's that hunted them down and slayed them at lower levels .... without going to the hospital coated in vomit, because I respect the damage that they do, understand that powers that they have and how they operate, and fight them accordingly. 

I never liked getting a character gimped by the Vazh disease until I could level up (because you didn't have to be defeated to get it), but my characters still did hunt down Dr Vahzilok in his lair and defeat him.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

LFG: Anyone want to join a {Malta, Carnie, Rularuu} mission arc group?

Anyone?

Yeah, this game must be too easy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 1/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, BelleSorciere said:

And yes, the powers for alignment are nice but really not much reason to be hero or villain when the other alignments let you do the missions you want and team with anyone anywhere.

I usually just pick whatever alignment I think best suits the character. Which usually ends up being vigilante or rogue for most of them, with a few pure villains and pure heroes sprinkled in. 🙂

On 1/16/2021 at 4:54 AM, WumpusRat said:

I usually just pick whatever alignment I think best suits the character. Which usually ends up being vigilante or rogue for most of them, with a few pure villains and pure heroes sprinkled in. 🙂

Mostly same except I think I'm not going to do pure heroes or villains for the sake of teaming with friends.

• Like 1