want to make a solo/still good for a team fender

rockroom

my first and much loved toon on classic was FF/sonic but i was in a team with 3 friends we built around it.

sonic/ - seems like a good one cause most people aim for def not res. so i would help people.

rad/ always loved it never used it

kin/ had a fire/kin troll as a farmer on live. like to do a  mix up of it

posion/ cause i know nothing about it. but hear good things

storm/ seems like a solid dam option

no idea the /??? lean towards fire but that is my default for all my toons so wanna change it up.

i have 600mil atm to work with. ill keep farming tell with your help i can find my combo and build

(p.s currently i use to accounts with 50s with xp turned off in a group to double my drop and inf drops. this a good way to run things?)

If you're going to solo, Sonic/ doesn't bring a lot to the table as 5 of your powers require an ally (though Sonic Repulsion is usually skipped, so really 4).

Traps/ is a really solid soloer and can team well too, you just have to modify your playstyle depending on which you are doing.  Another really strong choice is Time, it's a very up-in-your-face primary for defenders.

As for Secondary, might I recommend /Sonic? the -Resist brings a lot more to the table than Fire's straight damage for a defender.

I have a Time/Sonic that I usually solo but I know he teams really well as well.

If you want to go Poison (It's a solid set) I'd recommend going /Water Blast so that you have a self heal to help yourself solo.  My main experience with poison is a Plant/Poison controller, but I'm currently working on a Poison/Water Defender now and he's solid.

Storm is a ton of fun, but most of my experience is on the Controller side again.  I do have a Storm/Dark that's around level 30, stacking AoE Stuns (they're only Mag 2 each) is a great option for mitigation, and Tenebrous Tentacles works well to keep things in range of Freezing Rain.

Ok, I don't know if I've helped or given you more problems, but that's just my 2 cents.

What this team needs is more Defenders

On my radar for another Defender: Storm/energy blast, since you can slot the KD>KB in the attacks to make them knockdown. The other facet is the Force Feedback +recharge proc to really crank out more tornadoes and lightning storms. I was able to use some on my Storm/water, which is a blast to play. I got to try out that max speed Storm/energy blast build.

FF Water Dark - Soul Drain - Overwatch 1 - [i25].mxd

converted to Sonic Blast

FF Sonic Dark - Soul Drain - Overwatch 1 - [i25].mxd

MRA based defenses, Decent Resists, Extra Offense, ...

Edited by Linea

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

You have some great starting points, here!

Rad is a classic solo defender favorite. Has every tool you could want in a defender tied in a neat little package. Pairs well with any secondary.

Kin is comparatively difficult to solo early levels, but can be built very strong late game.

Poison is actually a really solid solo set, and operates well on fast teams. 

Storm is tremendously powerful solo, though it requires a little finesse with hurricane for strong safety. Team style is much more relaxed - you won't usually break out the cane here.

Dark is a worthy contender as well. Similar to Rad in many ways, but stronger defensively with a beefier heal and strong control effects.

Trick Arrow is actually really great now solo! Will be a little "tricky" (ho ho ho) until your whole kit is online though. 

Honestly any defender is a worthy solo warrior these days, and of course you'll be welcome on any team.

On 1/19/2021 at 12:44 AM, Psylenz0511 said:

On my radar for another Defender: Storm/energy blast, since you can slot the KD>KB in the attacks to make them knockdown. The other facet is the Force Feedback +recharge proc to really crank out more tornadoes and lightning storms. I was able to use some on my Storm/water, which is a blast to play. I got to try out that max speed Storm/energy blast build.

I have a Storm/NRG based on @Sir Myshkin build. Has a ton of recharge and handles the end issues with Conserve Power and Unleash Potential (which also soft-caps you on def).  Good fun.  The build-up proc goes off when you cast Lightning Storm, giving you a good 5 secs to attack including your Nuke.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 3.0.0.0
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/Hero-Designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Mad King Special: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Secondary Power Set: Energy Blast
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Gale -- PstBls-Dam%(A), JvlVll-Dam%(3), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(3), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(A), EntChs-Heal%(42), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(50), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 2: Power Blast -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(5), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7)
Level 4: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(7), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(9), UnbGrd-ResDam(9), UnbGrd-Max HP%(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11)
Level 8: Freezing Rain -- SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Ann-ResDeb%(42)
Level 10: Weaken Resolve -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 12: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def(15), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(15), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(17), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(17)
Level 14: Power Burst -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), ExpStr-Dam%(21), GldJvl-Dam%(34), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(37), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40)
Level 16: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), HO:Ribo(19)
Level 18: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(23), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(23), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), StnoftheM-Dam%(31), FrcFdb-Rechg%(31)
Level 20: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(21), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(40), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Rct-Def/Rchg(43), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 22: Mighty Leap -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 24: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(25), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(48), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 26: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(27), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(29), AchHee-ResDeb%(29), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(31)
Level 28: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 32: Lightning Storm -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(33), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Dcm-Build%(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(34)
Level 35: Explosive Blast -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), PstBls-Dam%(36), ExpStr-Dam%(36), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(37), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 38: Nova -- Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Arm-Dmg(39), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), Obl-%Dam(39), Arm-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 44: Temp Invulnerability -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(45), GldArm-End/Res(45), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(46), Mrc-Rcvry+(46), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(48)
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 1: Quick Form 
------------

An unorthodox suggestion: my Thermal/Ice is an absurd solo powerhouse, but only at late game when the star powers come in.  In terms of solo Thermal blooms very late, with Warmth being the only power that benefits you if you're alone until Heat Exhaustion at 26 (which is excellent for neutering bosses), but the real meat is Melt Armor letting you delete spawns any time it's up (with an Achille's Heel, it's something like -40% res and -~25% def to all hit).  Ice, however, is where the real power is.  With a proc build, Ice's ST damage is ludicrous. BIB and Freeze Ray put out obscene levels of damage on their own.  Blizzard is super strong and has good crowd control as well.

Meanwhile on teams Thermal is a fantastic set for team damage mitigation.  Combining aspects of Empathy and Sonic, you get healing and +Res shields for everyone (with a large boost to Fire resistance, good against Circle and Infernal).  Forge also gives your damage dealers a great power boost with +50% damage and tohit.  Ice's secondary effects are also good on teams, keeping mobs slowed means they attack less and don't run as easily from your melees, plus you can still delete spawns with Blizzard and destroy bosses with BIB and Freeze Ray.  Heat Exhaustion is also good for halting an enemy's regen.

This is a combo you'd probably want multiple builds for.  Most of Thermal's kit is useless solo, save for times you have ally NPCs, so skipping them in favor of more combat power won't hurt for a solo setup.

Edited by ZorkNemesis
  • Like 4

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I came up with an idea of an Ouro apprentice striking out on her own and was changed by an item she took from the Menders.

Time/Fire - great solo and OMG in teams

I had a couple of defenders on live, but never made it to 50 on any of them. This one I leveled over two weeks and still sign in on her for the occasional Hami/MSR/TF.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, rockroom said:

(p.s currently i use to accounts with 50s with xp turned off in a group to double my drop and inf drops. this a good way to run things?)

Just a word to the wise...here on Homecoming,  they've disabled the thing where turning off xp  on a 50 doubled the influence.  As I understand it,  xp on pr off makes no difference,  so might as well turn it back on and grind Incarnate goodies.

• Like 1

TA/Dark and TA/H2O both are very nice together.

TA also has one little trick advantage on teams. When you send your Flash Arrow all your teammates freak out and think you just Leroy Jenkins the situation when in fact you just threw a -tohit and -vis bomb with no aggro. Hilarious to watch them run in to "save" you. 🙂

Dark/ lets  you lock down multiple groups with little to fear and works well solo as well. Works with every secondary.

Time/ is just silly good with all it gets to do. good with all sorta blast sets but special mention to /DP and /ice

Traps/Sonic is a great combo. Sleep/toe bomb is sweet.

Interesting idea that worked was taking presence line and stealth with Poison/ that really worked out well and makes me believe it would add to any Defender's solo-ability. stealth in, fear/hold nuke/win.

Special mention for Sonic/Sonic on teams as it turns the whole team into tank mages. Solo build for ranged D and you are good.

• 2 weeks later

Kinetic/Fire. You want to solo? Good to go. You want to team? You bring Speed Boost and spot heals. 

This is possibly my favorite Defender build. It's just got everything. I prefer to play it as a Fire/Kin Corruptor, but that's because I get more Damage out of it with the secondary, as a solo player.

If you're teaming a lot though, the usage of Maneuvers and Tactics by a Defender along w/ your buffs make you very valuable.

Hope this helps.