Uninstalled Mids, files vanished from my computer

SitarHero

As stated in the title. I uninstalled Mids (I had installed the newest version from the website earlier today), and while the uninstaller was working, I watched in real time as everything that was not in a folder vanished from my desktop. And they are gone. Searched my PC for the file names, and they are not there. Used Windows File Recovery, and I did not get them back. They did not go into my recycle bin. In fact, everything that was in the recycle bin appears untouched. Everything in folders appears untouched. I don't know if that's actually true, of course. I don't really know for sure everything that vanished. So...any ideas what happened?

Acer laptop, Windows 10, all the current update. I use tequila as a launcher. Game appears to still work fine.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, SitarHero said:

As stated in the title. I uninstalled Mids (I had installed the newest version from the website earlier today), and while the uninstaller was working, I watched in real time as everything that was not in a folder vanished from my desktop. And they are gone. Searched my PC for the file names, and they are not there. Used Windows File Recovery, and I did not get them back. They did not go into my recycle bin. In fact, everything that was in the recycle bin appears untouched. Everything in folders appears untouched. I don't know if that's actually true, of course. I don't really know for sure everything that vanished. So...any ideas what happened?

Acer laptop, Windows 10, all the current update. I use tequila as a launcher. Game appears to still work fine.

The MRB install itself vanished? What AV are you using?

I am merely the guy with a keyboard and monitor under the stairs.

1 hour ago, BalrogLord said:

Happened to me too! Uninstalled Mids from Windows 10 Settings, since the new installers always crash!

It destroyed my desktop!!!!!!!!

Dozens of icons deleted, not in trash! This thing is dangerous! Please look at it.

Thanks for the heads up. We are seeing this too. It is dangerous and we recommend nobody to uninstall Mids for the time being...or at least backup whatever is on your desktop prior to the uninstall. So far it seems Shortcuts and Files are being deleted, but not folders on the desktop (nor its contents). We will keep this thread posted as we progress through our troubleshooting of the bug.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

Well that explains how I lost my resume text file I always keep on my desktop.

For those wondering, there's no way to recover from this. I tried everything. Moving files into a folder, including folders on the desktop, seems to "protect" them for now.

Edited by ForeverLaxx

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

For those losing things, try this app:

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

3 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Well that explains how I lost my resume text file I always keep on my desktop.

For those wondering, there's no way to recover from this. I tried everything. Moving files into a folder, including folders on the desktop, seems to "protect" them for now.

Correct, the files lost are gone. They will not be in the recycle bin (happened to me too, just didn't know what the root cause was until now). It is advised to backup everything on your desktop or move it elsewhere (a general good practice to have anyways). We have already fixed the issue and it will be available soon. In the mean time, don't uninstall Mids. When the new installer is ready, just re-install over it (again, don't uninstall...but if you do, backup your desktop)

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

I would strongly recommend taking the msi installer off your website for now.

The zip archive should be used until a lot more testing is done.

I'm a developer, and have worked a little with msi installers, they're a pain in the ass.

But since I've never got your msi installer to overwrite a new install either (it crashes

and leaves the icon pointing to nothing, possibly due to AV conflicts), I'll only be using

the zip archive.

Thanks for quick response.

1 hour ago, BalrogLord said:

I'm a developer, and have worked a little with msi installers, they're a pain in the ass.

But since I've never got your msi installer to overwrite a new install either (it crashes

and leaves the icon pointing to nothing, possibly due to AV conflicts), I'll only be using

the zip archive.

We did. If the installer is back up on the site, it is likely that is a fixed version. I'll have to check.

EDIT: For the time being, just use the zip version. We're still working through the msi installer for potential issues.

Edited by Bopper

13 hours ago, BalrogLord said:

the zip archive.

MSI's in general are a huge pain in the ass. The only way to overwrite an existing install with them is to generate a new UID for the product. 

The issue regarding desktop icons/files being removed was an issue with the MSI uninstaller. I have corrected this and am I currently working on a version that will essentially remove/replace references to the uninstaller that is causing the issue....this will most likely require Administrative privilege's on a given users system as uninstall information for MSIs exist within the HKLM hive.

Quoted from my recent announcement on our Discord.

I have identified an issue with the MSI installer where upon uninstalling or upgrading, desktop icons other than that for Mids Reborn could be removed.
This issue has been fixed going forward and future MSI package releases will no longer remove your desktop icons when upgrading or uninstalling. 

With that being said, if you installed 3.0.2.19 or newer using the MSI install prior to 1/31/2021. Then please download and install the EXE/MSI package from our website to fix your installation and prevent the removal of your desktop icons/files when uninstalling or upgrading to future versions. Note: This will require administrative permissions.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,
Metalios aka Crytilis