And what if I wanted to skip the fighting pool...

Aeroprism

Hello beautiful people!

Alt after alt after alt, it does seem like I'm always doing the same thing.

I'm levelling this DM/Da Scrapper, love her a lot so far.  I'm playing with builds and I was wondering, this character has quite a few healing options already. What if I skipped the fighting pool, freed myself 2-3 powers in the process and tried to play around with tools to mitigate the damage received instead of trying to passively avoid it with 1-2 toggles and yet another useless mule (boxing).

I know there are some really knowledgeable vets here so, am I on a path to grief and sadness?

This is not a build request. Half the fun is to come up with the build myself but you know, just asking a quick question here.

Thanks!

Dark/Dark is quite an endurance hog.  If you can find a way to cut out a couple of toggles, managing endurance may be a bit less of a headache.  I'm no build expert, by any means, but the best advice I can give you is to throw together a version without the fighting pool on Beta and take it for a test drive to see how you like it.  That way, if you don't, you save yourself the grief of grinding levels and doing respecs later on.

There's also the fact that every build I meet out there invests extreme amounts of powers/slots just to get S/L and Melee defense to 45, leaving every other form of damage mitigation floored. When happens when you fight an all ranged or an exotic damage enemy group?  

I'm going to try and balance things a little bit.  Worse that can happen?  Nothing really. Respecs are cheap and Sets can be unslotted and recycled/resold if necessary.

I would imagine most melee ATs are shooting for more than Melee and S/L at 45 but Melee/Ranged/AoE (or S/L/F/C/E/N+) to 45, so there should not be other mitigations floored (except possibly Toxic/Psionic--and some people build to cover those too).

Edit: Not enough sleep last night. You're talking Dark Armor buids. D'oh!

Edited by Erratic1

🙂 No worries.

So far this build is not getting anywhere.  I'm trying to get Shadowmeld on the shortest CD possible But it's still off for 13 seconds between uses, which is a LOT in a heated battle.  I've also crammed ungodly amounts of purples in there just for the heck of it, money isn't an issue, but I feel I'm still way too much of a neophyte there. 

Still have 5 slots to place.  When I'm done, I'll post it here so you guys can add some much valued advice 🙂

Something like this.  I can't say if I like it or not.  It relies heavily on Unleash potential and Shadowmeld and probably won`t really shine until Some good Incarnates but look at all those happy powers!

(The last thing I want is a super awesome cookie-cutter build that has only the same three attacks on rotation for the rest of my life)

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Dark Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(34), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(36), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 2: Shadow Maul -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(19), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Obl-%Dam(23)
Level 4: Death Shroud -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(9)
Level 6: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(11), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(40), GldArm-3defTpProc(42)
Level 8: Touch of Fear -- Arm-Acc/Rchg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(23), Arm-Dam%(25), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(27)
Level 10: Siphon Life -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(50)
Level 12: Obsidian Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- Krm-ResKB(A), Ksm-ToHit+(15), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(15), Rct-ResDam%(17), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(17)
Level 16: Dark Regeneration -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(40), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Prv-Heal/Rchg(48), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(50), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 18: Dark Consumption -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(42)
Level 22: Mighty Leap -- Jump-I(A)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(29), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(29), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Obl-%Dam(31)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- SphIns-%ToHit(A), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SphIns-ToHitDeb(43), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(45)
Level 30: Project Will -- Dmg-I(A)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(34)
Level 35: Oppressive Gloom -- Dsrnt-I(A)
Level 38: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(39), LucoftheG-Def(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 41: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(46), StnoftheM-Dam%(48)
Level 44: Shadow Meld -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(45), RechRdx-I(45)
Level 47: Soul Storm -- Hold-I(A)
Level 49: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 49: Quick Form 
------------

Edited by Aeroprism

I’m using shadow meld also on my em/Ice armor scrapper and seeing about a 12 second gap also, despite mids telling me it’s 4 seconds. Anyway, I combined in force of will and using that panic as well as shadow meld and it really does help. Often I don’t need shadow meld unless I really need to floor everything.  The debut in that set  is meh, but mighty leap is a decent SJ. Considering your are avoiding fighting this will gain you more than weave and giving you another luck of the gambler mule. 

Edited by Incursion

34 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I don't get the shadow meld usage. Does the effect hit instantly or after the 3+sec activation? And is the up worth the downtime?

Well you can be moving while it animates

So if you time it right you can hit it before you get Alpha'd

I used it on my STJ/WP scrapper, but got tired of it. 

• Like 1

Here's my dark/dark build and while it does have fighting pool I don't believe it misses much else, with resistance cap on everything except energy and toxic. I also have decent defense and hit the soft cap for s/l and melee when my hybrid is active but all these were at the cost of perma hasten and soul drain.......off by 5 seconds or so. While I know you're not looking for a build or anything I though I would just share to give you an idea that may help tweak your if needed...or maybe you could share something I may have missed to improve Doc a bit

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.3.1

Dark Scrapper Proposed Final Build: Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Darkness Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(42), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(50), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(15), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(29)
Level 2: Death Shroud -- SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(A), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(9), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(15)
Level 6: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 8: Siphon Life -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(27)
Level 10: Obsidian Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(21), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(21), GldArm-3defTpProc(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 12: Hover -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(17), Rct-ResDam%(17), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng/EndRdx(19), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng(19)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 16: Dark Regeneration -- ThfofEss-+End%(A), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(31), FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(33), FuroftheG-Dam/Rech(33), FuroftheG-Dam/End/Rech(33), FuroftheG-Acc/End/Rech(34)
Level 18: Dark Consumption -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-%Dam(31), Obl-Dmg(34), Obl-Acc/Rchg(34), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(40), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(40), ShlWal-Def(50)
Level 22: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(39), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(39), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- HO:Lyso(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(42), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg(42), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43)
Level 35: Oppressive Gloom -- HO:Endo(A)
Level 38: Petrifying Gaze -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(45), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(45), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(45), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(46)
Level 41: Shadow Maul -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 47: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(7)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment 
------------

5 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I don't get the shadow meld usage. Does the effect hit instantly or after the 3+sec activation? And is the up worth the downtime?

That 3 second animation is why I never take it I always think of how bad it is for my damage output and can't make my self take the power.

FlashBack to old days: Pinnacle

Langar Thurs-Katana/SR 50; Hejtmane-DM/DA 50

Rogue Spear-Spines/DA 50; Hypnosis-Ill/Rad 50

Sir Thomas Theroux-DM/SR 50; Melted Copper-Fire/Shield 50; Byzantine Warrior-DB/ELA 50; Blade Tempo-50 DB/EA

20 hours ago, hejtmane said:

That 3 second animation is why I never take it I always think of how bad it is for my damage output and can't make my self take the power.

That's a fair point, but it does make an io'd scrapper basically untouchable.  I wish it had more uptime but it gap fills the down time of other tier 9 scrapper powers and it only costs 1 power choice before it (moonbeam is pretty nice for those runners).  Dark has a lot of tools at it's disposal to mitigate, but i really think Force of will pool is worth mentioning again. that power is up for 1 minute and gives more defense than weave when it's active. 

Edited by Incursion

On 2/6/2021 at 7:55 PM, Haijinx said:

Well you can be moving while it animates

So if you time it right you can hit it before you get Alpha'd

I used it on my STJ/WP scrapper, but got tired of it. 

My StJ/WP Scrapper also has Shadow Meld but it isn't a power I use regularly (except as a LotG Mule, of course). It's use is limited to:

• activating (during the run towards a group), after I have used a (long range) Moonbeam (Snipe), as I close into the range of their alpha-strike
  • during a 'lull' in my attack chain, where 'lull' is defined as waiting for a specific power to be available to make use of a StJ 'combo'
  • For giggle, when facing difficult enough targets and the opponents' BIG ATTACK is coming up (and my teammates aren't somehow already boosting my Defense).

I wouldn't say I'm 'tired of it', but if I was trying to use Shadow Meld all the time I certainly would be.

My mace/da doesn't have fighting pool, he's at s/l softcap and the many mitigation layers from DA keep him alive plus the dmg mitigation from mace's kd. DM has also dmg mitigation in the form of -to hit if you build a high def and a small heal to bridge for when dark regeneration is recharging so I'd say you can pull it off without fighting pool without major problem. Maybe something like this could work 

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(27), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29)
Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(25)
Level 2: Shadow Maul -- SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(15), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 4: Murky Cloud -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(11), UnbGrd-Max HP%(13), UnbGrd-ResDam(13), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(15)
Level 6: Touch of Fear -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(7), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(7), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Obl-%Dam(11)
Level 8: Siphon Life -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(31), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(31), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), TchofDth-Dam%(33), TchoftheN-%Dam(33)
Level 10: Obsidian Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- Krm-ResKB(A), Ksm-ToHit+(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), Rct-ResDam%(36)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Dark Regeneration -- Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(17), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 18: Death Shroud -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(39), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39)
Level 20: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 24: Dark Consumption -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(42), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 28: Cloak of Fear -- SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SphIns-ToHitDeb(31), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(50), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 30: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Hct-Dmg(46), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Hct-Acc/Rchg(48), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(48)
Level 35: Oppressive Gloom -- HO:Endo(A)
Level 38: Moonbeam -- GldJvl-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Dam%(43), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(45), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(45), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 41: Shadow Meld -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 44: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 47: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(5)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(3)
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 50: Cardiac Core Paragon 
------------

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

defense and resistance are the traditional means of survival, followed by heals, knock downs, and finally +hp/regen.

But many people forget fear.  

My old dark/dark brute use presence pool, to layer on the fear.   Best form of soft control (with immobs, they can fight back, holds are too expensive).

Fear the mobs, fear the boss.   If you want to avoid fighting pool for a dark/dark scrapper, I recommend presence pool.

Wont help much against an AV though, tough/weave will help more with that, but in that instance, you can pop inspirations.

• Like 1

I remember on live someone said Though/Weave (along with boxing) were intended to give squishies like controllers some means to do and soak damage. Maybe. That person could have been mistaken.

One thing is for sure: in 2021, the fighting pool has become the new fitness (mandatory) pool and it annoys me.  I'll try different stuff: allowing players to be imaginative and try stuff is what CoH does best.

• Like 2

I recommend fear for mitigation if your dark/dark, add presense.  Its a fun (and somewhat uber) way to play.

As for fighting pool being the new fitness, I actualy thought that was the sorcery pool.  Decent resists, decent uptime, and some basic mezz protection (from memory).

If they relaxed the enhancement diversification in resist and defense powers, you probably wouldn't need fitness 2.0

I'm taking all of it on my Sentinel though, since I need him to have melee attacks to fit my theme.

Edited by Vulf