Patch Notes for March 10th, 2021

• City Council

Bug Fixes

• The game will now print an error message if a screenshot cannot be saved rather than exiting without warning.
  • Improvements to Unicode character handling in chat and editor windows:
    • Fix a bug that could cause a partial UTF-8 sequence to be inserted when typing or pasting special characters at the end of a long message near the character limit, and eventually cause a client error due to the malformed sequence.
    • Correctly calculate cursor position when using the up arrow to recall a chat message that contains non-ASCII characters.
    • Correctly calculate cursor position when pasting a power link into a chat message that contains non-ASCII characters.
  • Guard against a mapserver crash related to disbanding a flashback TF that has been observed sporadically happening since the 9th.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

9 hours ago, Number Six said:

Bug Fixes

• The game will now print an error message if a screenshot cannot be saved rather than exiting without warning.

It's a bit early in the morning for me to attempt to think, but I tried it anyway. Not sure if I'm actually comprehending this correctly so, does this fix mean that I can once again take screenshots without the game instantly crashing to desktop? If so, awesome!

Hello, my name is Ynaught and I am an altaholic.

31 minutes ago, Ynaught said:

It's a bit early in the morning for me to attempt to think, but I tried it anyway. Not sure if I'm actually comprehending this correctly so, does this fix mean that I can once again take screenshots without the game instantly crashing to desktop? If so, awesome!

Hopefully it means we'll get an informative error instead.

I was having that crash a while back and it turned out to be an update to my antivirus software.  Added the game folder/subfolders to the exception list and it stopped the game from crashing.  Just in case that helps you.

1 hour ago, Ynaught said:

This doesn't mean the screenshot will take happen, just that the game won't crash when you try.

Unless I'M reading it wrong. Which is likely!

14 hours ago, Number Six said:

• Improvements to Unicode character handling in chat and editor windows:
    • Fix a bug that could cause a partial UTF-8 sequence to be inserted when typing or pasting special characters at the end of a long message near the character limit, and eventually cause a client error due to the malformed sequence.

Does this also fix the long-standing bug in the ID editor where it will occasionally insert extra characters that don't render in the text window but still take up space? Cause half of my characters if I try to edit their bio it suddenly sprouts a hundred or more phantom characters and having to strip them out every time is a frequent annoyance.

More specifically what it's doing behind the scenes is usually inserting ' ' instead of a space which renders the same but takes up five characters instead of one. If this change doesn't fix that, I'd love to see it looked into.

• Like 2

When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. Life will be all like "What?"

[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: STOP!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WAIT ONE SECOND!
[Admin] Emperor Marcus Cole: WHAT IS A SEAGULL DOING ON MY THRONE!?!?

2 hours ago, General Idiot said:

Does this also fix the long-standing bug in the ID editor where it will occasionally insert extra characters that don't render in the text window but still take up space? Cause half of my characters if I try to edit their bio it suddenly sprouts a hundred or more phantom characters and having to strip them out every time is a frequent annoyance.

More specifically what it's doing behind the scenes is usually inserting ' ' instead of a space which renders the same but takes up five characters instead of one. If this change doesn't fix that, I'd love to see it looked into.

Oof, I see I'm not the only one. With space at a premium it was annoying to discover this bug.

Seriously, twice the size of bios would be amazeballs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Oof, I see I'm not the only one. With space at a premium it was annoying to discover this bug.

Yes, the phantom bio characters has been an issue since live... it would be nice to be able to use the full character allotment. Would also be nice to be able to edit a bio without it sprouting magical characters in my sleep.

• Haha 1

Just now, CosmicDreamShade said:

Yes, the phantom bio characters has been an issue since live... it would be nice to be able to use the full character allotment. Would also be nice to be able to edit a bio without it sprouting magical characters in my sleep.

I see I'm -also- not the only one who copies the full bio to a text file, alters it, then deletes the original in game with many extra backspaces and delete presses, and only then pastes it in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I see I'm -also- not the only one who copies the full bio to a text file, alters it, then deletes the original in game with many extra backspaces and delete presses, and only then pastes it in.

"Where?!? Where are the extra characters? Where did they come from? WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO ME?!??!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• City Council
3 hours ago, General Idiot said:

The editor is full of bugs but the   thing looks to be by design. Those get inserted if you type consecutive spaces, since otherwise they would be collapsed down to a single space when rendered.

2 hours ago, Number Six said:

The editor is full of bugs but the   thing looks to be by design. Those get inserted if you type consecutive spaces, since otherwise they would be collapsed down to a single space when rendered.

Isn't there a unicode for a space item? U+0020 ? alt+32 ?

And it really would be neat to allow the chat input field to allow us to do alt+13 and alt+14 without having to copy paste from an outside program.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:44 PM, Sovera said:

< words 4 win

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 3/10/2021 at 1:35 AM, Number Six said:

Bug Fixes

Not sure what's going on, but since this update/bug fix I've been unable to take screenshots at all..  worked fine before, which forum should I go to for assistance on this?

If it's a bug you would be able to reproduce with step-by-step instructions and details of your rig and game configuration, absolutely post it in: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/32-bug-reports/

If it's a bug which you don't really understand and would like some help to resolve it, then give a shot in:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/12-help-amp-support/

I feel like a complete dip, but when I logged into the game, I got a message suggesting a bazillion things had changed with powersets and powers and the like, but I can't find anything on it here.  Obviously, I am in the wrong place, but I really want to know what powers / powersets have been "improved" and etc.  Where can I find that announcement.  (Sorry in advance since it's probably obvious to everyone but me.)

2 hours ago, Aberrant said:

@Tahliah It was referring to the Issue 27 Page 2 first build currently on the Beta server. It's going through testing at the moment so it'll be a while before it comes to the live servers. Details here:

Thanks! The in-game message sounded like it was a done deal.