A Bit Disappointed Devs. Here is Why.

12 minutes ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

I apologize, @Solarverse.  I misinterpreted your initial post, allowing our past conversations to pre-emptively bias my perception of what you were saying.

I'm sorry.

And . . . I'm disappointed too.

Not with that particular sound effect, nor with the lack of interest in your mods or @The Philotic Knight's . . . which are both lamentable for their own reasons.

But rather I am disappointed by the fact that the Devs haven't worked with you two (and all the other hard-working community members who provide similar services) to integrate such important features as content customization in to the game itself.

Now, of course, I understand that there are some mitigating factors which complicate things.

Foremost, assumably and likely, due to the nature of this being a pirate operation where there's a desire not to poke the sleeping bear of ncsoft when it comes to revealing what is still legally protected code and assets.

Secondarily, and more irksomely, there seems to be a very nebulous and questionable system at play in regard to ownership and rights of original code and assets being created by the volunteers.  I've heard some disturbing rumours about how that stuff is being handled, and that's very disappointing to me.  I hope the rumours are incorrect . . . but I've seen no evidence to contradict them.

Third, there's a limit on time and energy, and recruiting and training members of the community takes considerable time and energy.   . . . of course, there are ways to seriously mitigate that cost, which I'm still struggling to find the way to effectively encourage the Team to further explore.

And fourth . . .

And this one probably applies to me too, so I'm not blind to the potential appearance of hypocrisy . . . 

The Devs are human beings, with personal feelings and opinions, and generally don't like to be upset.

So, even when someone explicitly provokes you, or you misinterpret someone's actions as a provocation, and then respond with an escalation . . . then it very likely makes the Devs disinclined to cooperate and share freely.

And that one's on us.

We've got to step up and be better.  Even if the first, second, and third issues don't or can't be resolved, we can at least strive toward bettering ourselves.  Conducting ourselves professionally.  Or failing that, courteously.  Even in the face of our own personal feelings and opinions.

I think the mods you've been working on enrich the community, and I would like to encourage you to continue sharing them.

A break from things here might be refreshing, but I hope you consider returning if you do end up stepping away.

Thank you Vile, I really appreciate that. Almost jerked a tear in my eye.  🙂

• Thanks 1

So, honestly... that's one problem identified. The mods and downloader / installer / manager (whatever you want to call it, and yes I have used it :) ) are ... in the forums.

So some visibility in game would be nice, then? Something on the launcher and/or a mention in the MOTD, with link?

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Of course, acknowledgement of a mod in that way is potentially tantamount to an endorsement from the Homecoming Team . . . and that doesn't strike me as their style right now.

Which is why I proposed going the step further and actually committing to integration.  The skill and willingness is clearly present on one end of the equation!  Great things are possible.  Just remains to be seen if we can actually make the necessary steps.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Greycat said:

So, honestly... that's one problem identified. The mods and downloader / installer / manager (whatever you want to call it, and yes I have used it 🙂 ) are ... in the forums.

So some visibility in game would be nice, then? Something on the launcher and/or a mention in the MOTD, with link?

That could work beautifully. Nothing complicated, just a simple link and brief description.

1 hour ago, Solarverse said:

That could work beautifully. Nothing complicated, just a simple link and brief description.

Yeah I think anything at this point would help. Also a way to point to the tutorials, since we can't assume the average COH player who doesn't visit the forums or discord, suddenly knows where to get to the tutorials.

• Like 1

• 9 months later
6 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Ancient history, just like this thread.

sorry. cottage rule always applies. even if it is simply a suggestion to be mindful of.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 3/17/2021 at 1:43 AM, Solarverse said:

Don't take this in a harsh way, I just feel a bit defeated at this moment in time. I don't play much these days, I log on for a small bit, might run a mission or two and log out. There are many reasons for this, but that's not what this is about, this is more of an incident that reminded me as to one of the reasons why I don't play much these days.

So I always loved the sound effects for what is now called Dynamo. I know some people hated that the sound never died off, so to help fix that for them so that I can keep the sound for me and those of us who like it, I created a mod that ANYBODY can install that actually gives them a very very quiet version of that. We even have ways of making it silent so that they don't have to hear it if that isn't good enough for them.

I log on my Elec Blaster today and noticed that the sound effects fades out now. It honestly was not needed Devs, this is one of the primary reasons I started making sound mods, so that people can have what they want without you all nerfing the sounds for everyone. I really wish you all would stop nerfing sound effects when you have players who were completely ready to make custom mods for players who took issue with them.

I just feel pretty defeated when I take time (and it does take time if you want your mods to be good) to create mods for the community just to have you guys nerf those sounds anyway. It's nothing more than a reminder to me why I don't play so much anymore. Really wish you all would have left that sound effect alone.  😞

Agreed, fade put should be an option. If I want to have it the way it was I should be able to. I really enjoy the sound effects, so the fadeout is immersion killing. Should be put back the way it was with an option to enable fadeout.

A little thread Necro to launch the new year!

Edited by SwitchFade

2 hours ago, SwitchFade said:

Agreed, fade put should be an option. If I want to have it the way it was I should be able to. I really enjoy the sound effects, so the fadeout is immersion killing. Should be put back the way it was with an option to enable fadeout.

A little thread Necro to launch the new year!

I'm the opposite, I'm glad the Legacy devs added the fade-out on SFX, but then I also modify my own for them to be less annoying.

Options would be the best of both worlds, similar to Powerset VFX options, it'd be nice if the Costume Creator UI included options for SFX, to fade or not to fade. I'm pretty sure that such a feature would require quite a bit of work on the dev's part though.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I'm the opposite, I'm glad the Legacy devs added the fade-out on SFX, but then I also modify my own for them to be less annoying.

Options would be the best of both worlds, similar to Powerset VFX options, it'd be nice if the Costume Creator UI included options for SFX, to fade or not to fade. I'm pretty sure that such a feature would require quite a bit of work on the dev's part though.

Most people who are annoyed by sounds would probably just prefer that all sounds fade. So if this rings true, would it not be easier to just put that option in the Sound Menu to turn on or off all toggles to either fade or not fade sounds? It would be a lot less work on the Devs and all the sounds in game could return to normal. I think the same should be done for sounds that stack on multiple targets as well. There are those of us who are pretty butt hurt about losing the stacking sounds that have been lost over the years, would be nice to have an option for this as well.

Edited by Solarverse
missed a plural
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Most people who are annoyed by sounds would probably just prefer that all sounds fade. So if this rings true, would it not be easier to just put that option in the Sound Menu to turn on or off all toggles to either fade or not fade sounds? It would be a lot less work on the Devs and all the sounds in game could return to normal. I think the same should be done for sounds that stack on multiple targets as well. There are those of us who are pretty butt hurt about losing the stacking sounds that have been lost over the years, would be nice to have an option for this as well.

Sure, I suppose that'd work too. I'm all for options. 🙂

• Like 2

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.