Patch Notes for May 30th, 2019

The craziest thing about all of these complaints is that the nerf to DFB was very minor. In fact, with the double XP option available, the nerf of 50% just means DFB grants same XP it did before the team added that option. This is really only a nerf to people who only started playing DFB after that option was added.

I don't think their graph they made up of the exp gain changes is accurate at all.  I just did 3 full DFB runs with a double exp booster and I got BARELY over 3 levels (and by barely I mean like 1 bubble more) from 10-13.  That's not a 2-8% nerf like the graph says.  That's like a 60%+ nerf.  Not saying I'm for or against the changes; I'm still relatively new.  But I will say that the graph that was posted explaining the change in the exp gain curve is wrong.  And very wrong.

I agree 100%...I have now run DFB twice and am not even at 10th level with double XP booster...the nerf/update/fix ect has hurt the XP output more than the published graph for sure.

If the devs want to review a character's information the toon's name is Atoms Heart...you can see the double XP was purchased and the run rewards are at 2 and he currently sits about 2.25 bubs from 10 after those two runs...I am OK with the change but this change is far from what is being portrayed or is published for sure.

FYI:  People could choose whatever they wanted to do most before the XP nerfs to DFB, too-- which is why so many chose DFB.  :P

Homecoming, you are starting to become the Fun Police, and it's starting to get a little worrisome.  With the AE nerfs I could see it more because actual hardware was being negatively affected, but nerfing DFB just makes you look bad.

I'm still really glad to have CoX back, but I'd hate to see lots of players start leaving for other CoX private servers in droves because the Control Freaks have taken over.  They're nerfing the fun right out of CoX while trying to force everyone to play their way.

This is why people avoid private servers:  Because they wind up shambling zombie rezzes of formerly great MMORPGs, hacked up every which way, when everybody should just leave well enough alone.

Surely, these changes couldn't be for the long term balance of the servers, and players.  No, there HAS to be an ulterior motive that involves castrating your game play experience, because that's really what they enjoy doing. 

I believe you are taking it too personally, and associating rationale that doesn't exist.  Perhaps it will encourage folks to go out and seek the MASSIVE amount of content that is available, even at the lower levels, and see what the game is really about.  I'd be willing to wager that even most veteran players have not done all the mission content in all of the level appropriate zones, and there is a lot to do at any level.

What was no more, is REBORN!

All valid opinions, from your view, but none of us exist in a vacuum. We are a community, and we must not forget the negative impact exclusionary content has on NEW players. What got veterans hooked on this game wasn't powerleveling, it was the game content. Broken DFB type content robs new players of the experience we veterans take for granted.

That’s a pretty significant over-generalization and I don’t know why you think your voice speaks for everyone, but I’m aware of bias and I have my own.

Personally, I’ve played since Beta on Live.  I subbed three accounts since mid 2005.  I used the accounts for PVP, playing so many alts I’ve lost track of them.  I did play the original game (back when level cap was 40 and Founders was the ‘high level zone’) as a Defender.  I remember being pretty much forced to team back then just to survive.  So when the mechanics were changed to allow solo play, I relished the opportunity to write my own storyline.  I was very active in the AE community originally but saw so much indignation about how that toy was being abused by the farmers that it really made me grow to loathe interacting with the other mission builders.  I actually still wish the AE missions had passwords so you could make some just to enable the friends you chose to come in and do so. 

At any rate, I am a vet.  I still have the Sentinel XML exports of all my lvl 50’s from Live....well over 200 of them.  Many were intentionally gimped by powersets.  I had one guy who only played via pool powers, ignoring all the primary/secondary powers, just to see how that’d go (newsflash...it sucks, don’t try it). 

As a veteran, what hooked me on this game was being ABLE to powerlevel for an hour or even entire playsessions.  And, when I became bored, to jump into a TF or PUG.  Then when I had enough of that, to jump back into Powerlevling an alt or my friends’ alts, or sometimes even just random people hanging out in Atlas.  I didn’t charge for it.  I even used to broadcast “Free 20 levels if you can tell me a great joke every time you ding I’ve never heard before!”  And people would do it.  It was fun.  It was fun for me.  THAT is what hooked me on this game....not the content.  I did enjoy the content once or twice, don’t mistake that, and I appreciate that you and many others did/do as well.  But eventually, I enjoyed the open sandbox approach to playing this game far, far more.  Pushing myself to make builds that could solo GM’s out on Monster Island.  Soloing AV’s.  Eventually the Ritki Pylon tests.  THAT is what hooked me as a veteran.

I realize for many reasons people don’t enjoy the game for the same reason I do.  But what I don’t get, what I will never get, is why they openly have a disdain for people like me ENJOYING the game in a manner different than they find enjoyment for themselves.  That’s just....well to be blunt....incredibly insecure and immature behavior.  And that was really, IMO, one of the biggest downfalls of this game when it was live.  And, unfortunately, a month after the game has been made available again, already an area of focus for the devs.  It just....concerns me really....that here we go all over again.

But as I said....I don’t understand it.  I guess it’s just the hallmark of this community to want to impose a set of behavioral norms on everyone, as voiced by what is in reality an incredibly small (but vocal) minority of players who participate in these forums.  And I fear we will pay the price for it in loss of active players.  Almost immediately.

The craziest thing about all of these complaints is that the nerf to DFB was very minor. In fact, with the double XP option available, the nerf of 50% just means DFB grants same XP it did before the team added that option. This is really only a nerf to people who only started playing DFB after that option was added.

I don't think their graph they made up of the exp gain changes is accurate at all.  I just did 3 full DFB runs with a double exp booster and I got BARELY over 3 levels (and by barely I mean like 1 bubble more) from 10-13.  That's not a 2-8% nerf like the graph says.  That's like a 60%+ nerf.  Not saying I'm for or against the changes; I'm still relatively new.  But I will say that the graph that was posted explaining the change in the exp gain curve is wrong.  And very wrong.

I agree 100%...I have now run DFB twice and am not even at 10th level with double XP booster...the nerf/update/fix ect has hurt the XP output more than the published graph for sure.

If the devs want to review a character's information the toon's name is Atoms Heart...you can see the double XP was purchased and the run rewards are at 2 and he currently sits about 2.25 bubs from 10 after those two runs...I am OK with the change but this change is far from what is being portrayed or is published for sure.

In an 8-man team, DFB *was* 1 to 10 in 1 mission with the +100% xp boost and no rested. It was then 10 to 14 in 1 mission, same conditions. Given the developer response, *in theory* that should still be true, no? It was less if you weren't in a full team -- so take that into consideration.

If it isn't now, then the devs are either 1) lying or 2) made a bug. I'm inclined to bet on 2, but that by itself is also dangerous. I get that we're all human -- trust me, I'm also a developer! -- but that says either not being careful enough with the code, or that the code is such garbage it can't safely be touched.

Mostly I'm disappointed that bite-sized content I could do was nerfed, rather than MAKING MORE BITE SIZED CONTENT I CAN PLAY. I'm sorry that I chose to have a family, I clearly shouldn't have so I can easily have bigger play sessions.

Still all kinds of bite-sized stuff one can do.  Between doors, radio missions, and just jumping on a PuG for a bit, it is possible.  I know, because I do it.  If you are limiting your enjoyment of the game to one thing, you aren't getting all there is to be had from it.  8 years of content, all available right off the bat.  This is a mature game, and there is plenty to do if you know what to look for. 

Hey I know that I didn't get on the bandwagon sooner, but the changes to the DFB seem to have effected many in a way that they want to quit the server, or find something else to do, and the hype of getting 5 billion alts to 50 seems to be what they're after.

Now, this isn't to say that people like this sometimes are MMO butterflies, (guilty myself of a little bit of flitting between MMO's), but perhaps we should keep the playerbase strong rather than having it dwindle out to the hardcore players before it really takes off.

More people = more groups, more groups=more content that you want to play. I would run 1-2 DFB, run around and do radio missions, and then jump back into DFB's to do my 50 character, and I have only one (altaholism hurts). But more than anything, I wanted to get back into DFB for two reasons,

1: my character was optimized for the level 1-10 content that was available there, and I knew how to build my spec for that content. I had maneuvers and assault, a healing skill, and an aoe damage skill. I liked farming this content because I knew how to play it, knew how to deal with it, and knew that I could lead if I was stuck at the forefront, and could assist newbies in their endeavors to know what the game was like.

2: I liked the playerbase when people start out on their character and they're like WTF is this!? I can do an electric/fire scrapper and blow mobs up! Neat, but I want to do a Rad/fire, so let me make an alt RQ and i'll BRB in the next round or two. It was fun to see the iterations of fledgeling heroes bud up, without making a new character myself.

Something that I think that the devs might want to take a look into is a scale sortof like this:

DFB EXP

Levels 1-10 Lvl 15-20 Lvl20+                                        EXP Bonus

-------------                                                                100%

-----------                                                  75%

-------------------------------------  50%

DIB (Drowning in blood) EXP

Levels 15-25 Lvl 26-35  Lvl35+                                        EXP Bonus

-------------                                                                100%

(Insert Level 25 TF here (because I don't know of one)) EXP

Levels 25-45 Lvl 46-48 Lvl48+                                        EXP Bonus

(Insert Level 45 TF here (because I don't know of one)) EXP

Levels 45-50                                                                EXP Bonus

Incarnate trials should have a better reward system than farming the merits on a mothership run, yes, so that needs to be BUFFED rather than nerfing something as well.

We're trying to play the game our way, but also add a little variety, and it would be awesome to go with one group through something (like anything) like DFB all the way from 1-50 if at all possible.

There was a system in Dark Age of Camelot that did this called 'instance dungeons' where if you got in with a group, it scaled the exp, mob difficulty, and rewards with the group size, but you got a BASE of 100% increased experience. This was when it was limping along to help boost the character base, and it did for a very very long time.

People want to play their way, and so this might be a good suggestion to mitigate some of the people who want to roll 50 alts, and also get rid of a few key issues:

1: DFB spam sucks

2: People only running DFB, it's boring. we get it.

3: We want variety!

4: we want to play the game our way, and get EXP in our own way, because let's just face it, most of the playerbase is either millenial or wants to relive their glory days of having 30 level 50 toons and being able to PL based on the situation and what their SG needs at the time for Endgame Content.

5: it still won't limit the people that want to do the story missions, (which I am currently doing and getting a kick in the pants out of, I love the storytelling aspect of this game, don't change.)

TLDR: at least look at my table and it makes the rest of the block of text make sense.

Let me pick this apart, so... instead of running 1 dungeon all the time, you suggest they make 5-6 dungeons that will effectively do the same thing?

Why hasn't anyone else commented on this?

I have to wonder why Crysis, or anyone he has recruited to his private server even worry about regular game play.  There, they have the ability to boost themselves right to L50, give themselves every accolade in the game, and all Incarnate powers.  Game over.  ;)

Ironically, for likely the very same reasons you enjoy playing here.  To meet new players who have a shared interest in super-hero culture and play co-op missions, TF’s, etc.  -AND- to then tune up my characters in farms/PL scenarios, racing my fellow farmers through a missions we reset over and over and time each other (while PL’ing one of our other alts) and discuss how to improve the build and/or play style to get the mission done a little bit faster.  Or to go cruise a PVP zone for fresh players who are anxious to prove their purpled-out builds in one on one (or better, team on team) combat.

Many, not all, of those reasons likely resonate with you.  As well they should since we are playing the same “content,” but just enjoying it differently.  Those who disdain my style of play often fail to realize that outside of AE farms and street sweeping, we both have access to the SAME kinds of content.  I just ignore most of it and focus on the game mechanics of DPS/sec whereas you focus on the speech bubbles and/or prose presented by your contacts between missions.  Honestly, I’ve played them enough I could likely go toe to toe with most people in a game of COH Contact Arc Trivial Pursuit.  Even for most of the newish zones.

But that’s just it....we like the same things....DIFFERENTLY.  There’s just this myopic view of many of the players calling for nerfs or changes that the way I enjoy playing OUR content is wrong and I need to learn to enjoy it YOUR way...or hit the road.  Thankfully, I can just hit the road now that I have my own server.  I just hope you don’t wake up and find out week over week server pops start dropping by double digit percentages as more start doing what I’m doing and spending far more time on private servers and far less time on these pseudo-public servers.  Because if we do.....public will start to feel a lot more like private, and then we both lose.

Surely, these changes couldn't be for the long term balance of the servers, and players.  No, there HAS to be an ulterior motive that involves castrating your game play experience, because that's really what they enjoy doing. 

I believe you are taking it too personally, and associating rationale that doesn't exist.  Perhaps it will encourage folks to go out and seek the MASSIVE amount of content that is available, even at the lower levels, and see what the game is really about.  I'd be willing to wager that even most veteran players have not done all the mission content in all of the level appropriate zones, and there is a lot to do at any level.

You have rose colored glasses for 2004 era content. That MASSIVE amount of content has a lot of "yep, I know you're level-appropriate in founders falls but your mission door is in .... drum roll please ... perez park! have fun spending more time running there than doing the mission!"

Note that was yesterday, before they'd nerfed or announced a nerf of DFB, because I wanted some merits, so I foolishly went and did one of those old MASSIVE CONTENT arcs. It was hot garbage. Flashing back to Striga was better, but then that's much newer content... bites sized... kinda like DFB, if you see what I mean.

We do both enjoy the game differently.  Neither is wrong, and neither is necessarily right for everyone.  However, I keep in perspective the degree to which any changes like this affect me, which is  mostly not much. 

I don't think these things are being done to corral anyone's play style, as much as doing things to make things more realistic across the board for the large population we have now, as opposed to the small one for which these server set-ups were originally done.  Things had to be more rewarding in an environment like that, and now with a robust population, these things are achievable on larger teams, and might require 4 runs instead of three to get into your teens.  I don't believe there are any nefarious plans afoot to be a fun killer.  Just doing what's necessary for the whole, rather than a segment of the player base. 

I love this game.  I have always felt since the first day I played it, that it was the best thing I ever played, before or since.  And really, there is very little that could be done that would dampen my enthusiasm.  I simply come up with different ways to accomplish my goals.  I am flexible.  I have found in my years that without that, the inevitable change that comes to everything we do, is that much harder to deal with, and lessens our enjoyment of things to the point where we don't do them any more.  That's when we begin to die a little every day.  When we can honestly say that's the last time in my life I will ever do that thing. 

I'm not here to preach to anyone how to play.  But, I will go so far to say that we have all been given a second chance, and within a month, we are able to take this gift for granted enough to complain about the manner in which our volunteer benefactors are providing it.  Saying that our play style is permanently damaged, and I am leaving.  Are our attention spans so short?  I hope not, because I am enjoying every aspect of this game, even the maps, and missions I detest.  I enjoy detesting them again! 

After hanging out in Paragon Chat for years, being in the live game is a gift that I personally will not take for granted.  I want to do EVERYTHING again, and I look forward to learning again all the stuff I forgot (and it's a lot more than I would have thought).  I will play this game for as long as it's available, and I will adjust to whatever changes are necessary to keep it alive. 

I have to wonder why Crysis, or anyone he has recruited to his private server even worry about regular game play.  There, they have the ability to boost themselves right to L50, give themselves every accolade in the game, and all Incarnate powers.  Game over.  ;)

Ironically, for likely the very same reasons you enjoy playing here.  To meet new players who have a shared interest in super-hero culture and play co-op missions, TF’s, etc.  -AND- to then tune up my characters in farms/PL scenarios, racing my fellow farmers through a missions we reset over and over and time each other (while PL’ing one of our other alts) and discuss how to improve the build and/or play style to get the mission done a little bit faster.  Or to go cruise a PVP zone for fresh players who are anxious to prove their purpled-out builds in one on one (or better, team on team) combat.

Many, not all, of those reasons likely resonate with you.  As well they should since we are playing the same “content,” but just enjoying it differently.  Those who disdain my style of play often fail to realize that outside of AE farms and street sweeping, we both have access to the SAME kinds of content.  I just ignore most of it and focus on the game mechanics of DPS/sec whereas you focus on the speech bubbles and/or prose presented by your contacts between missions.  Honestly, I’ve played them enough I could likely go toe to toe with most people in a game of COH Contact Arc Trivial Pursuit.  Even for most of the newish zones.

But that’s just it....we like the same things....DIFFERENTLY.  There’s just this myopic view of many of the players calling for nerfs or changes that the way I enjoy playing OUR content is wrong and I need to learn to enjoy it YOUR way...or hit the road.  Thankfully, I can just hit the road now that I have my own server.  I just hope you don’t wake up and find out week over week server pops start dropping by double digit percentages as more start doing what I’m doing and spending far more time on private servers and far less time on these pseudo-public servers.  Because if we do.....public will start to feel a lot more like private, and then we both lose.

Crysis - I do want to commend you on writing some well-though out posts.  I truly hear your frustration, you are asking great questions, and you aren't being at all combative.

I think that the population on Homecoming has been growing exponentially for a while and has started to taper a bit, and likely will decrease soon.  However, I think there will still be critical mass to truly enjoy this game as a true MMORPG even if half the people leave, and the costs then to maintain the server are reduced as well.  So any discussions about if you do, or since your did X, I am going to leave, ring somewhat hollow.

You like it enough to try it out and see if your experience is really as broken as you think it is?  Stick around!  Keep posting, asking good questions - it's clear to me that you bring a good viewpoint.  If you really can't stand it, I understand, sorry to see you go.

But my real question is - are you in or out?  You keep saying out, but you keep posting here.  Which to my mind makes any further discussion or argument about Homecoming's merits moot.

But I am serious - well written and thoughtful posts!

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

To the people who are saying Death from Below was fine as it was.

Do you really think it is fine that you are getting the same experience values for your level doing content that is tuned for characters far below your level that content that is tuned for your level gives? Once you hit the level that the trial begins to exemplar you is when the Experience begins to get reduced, that is because as you level and get more slots you grow more powerful.

A natural level 6 Character and a level 20+ character scaled down to level 6 are not the same levels of power and should not be gaining the same XP for fighting the same mob.

As for DFB: This was a different kettle of fish. Because this was far more accessible to anyone that wanted to participate, and it did have one key benefit (allowing you to 'skip' the first 10~ levels that you've played a hundred times), we wanted to be careful with how we approached it. As described above the XP rate starts dropping down after level 10, and drops down to be more in line with other content as you approach level 20. This means you can still do 1-2 runs to get yourself to level 10-15, but after that DFB is no longer the most efficient thing to do.

Here's a graph detailing how the XP drops off:

Wlqo9aI.png

And here are the exact figures:

• Level <=10: 100%
  • Level 11: 98%
  • Level 12: 96%
  • Level 13: 93%
  • Level 14: 90%
  • Level 15: 86%
  • Level 16: 81%
  • Level 17: 76%
  • Level 18: 69%
  • Level 19: 60%
  • Level >= 20: 50%

And it’s still as efficient as teaming with a level 50 in a farm map for XP to 22.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Primarily I just wanted to complement you guys on another fine update and also thank the community member who supplied some cleaned up art. Honestly that is some serious life quality improving art.

Regarding the DFB adjustment, I have to say I really love it especially since it's exactly what I suggested they do; some people thought that was limiting options; I think it's just normalizing reward. Plus you know how everyone wants an Oro porter? Well if you DFB to 15, and then go do Faultine's story arcs, you GET an oro porter as part and parcel of that!

But I will address one other comment because I think it's coming from an uninformed place:

My only issue with the VG merit  ... has to do with the availability of merits as a whole.  As a person who has altitist, it has ALWAYS been hard for me to outfit my multitude of characters because I spend a lot more time doing low-level content and I don't farm. ... I could do an hour of work and get a single IO for one of my slots.

I've always thought the reward merits that you get were set ridiculously low, forcing you to farm if you want to get cool stuff for your characters. ... the cost for most of the good ones is 100. I have to do 3 TFs to get one slot out of how many? for how many characters? It is just too low.

I think reward merits should be increased across the board a good deal. At least twice what they are. MSR was definitely high, but honestly, IMHO it was in the right direction.

(some text snipped to consolidate the main points)

I can see where you're coming from but at the same time I feel like you're asking for a lot. You say you're doing a lot of low level content and have lots of alts ... so why do you need any sets? Why aren't you using mostly generic IOs and maybe a few special pieces. Karma: Knockback protection costs a mere 20 merits! When you say you need 100 merits for a "good one" are you talking about the level scaling archetype enhancements? Those are like the crown jewels that used to cost 400-500 merits. PVP IO recipes also can cost 100 but as far as I've seen the normal set recipes are 20 for an uncommon and 50 for a rare, and that is a serious price reduction from live when uncommon set IO recipes were 50-75, and rares were 125-275. Here is the list of Original Dev prices for things bought with merits: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Merit_Rewards#Rewards_Purchases

If you feel you can't buy specifically what you want still, maybe a better tack for you would be to spend 10 merits on a random roll and then just sell the most valuable recipes and use that to buy modest replacements for yourself. But it really does feel like you've chosen to stretch yourself very thin and want to still be able to gear up in the same way someone who focuses on just a couple characters can.

Hey, thanks for the reply. It is a valid argument. But I've always viewed CoH as a game for those who want light play and not power game. Imho, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to get the builds I want or the special IOs that go for bazillions simply because I don't constantly play 50s and get tons of influence. My argument is why restrict and force the playstyle?  I don't' want to play the same character over and over again. I do want to be able to tweak my characters. It is just too much to expect me to do three TFs worth of content to get one IO. CoH has always been the game you could just jump in and jump out of and I love it for that, I just wish its advancement system matched that. It doesn't.

IMO the best suggestion: incarnate trials need additional rewards because of their difficulty to organize.  Maybe more merits there, especially since the veteran levels have significantly increased the availability of incarnate components.

Immobilize Powers in Controller and Dominator primary power sets should no longer make their targets immune to KnockUp. KnockBack will be converted to KnockDown. This helps sets like Ice and Earth, as their AOE Immobilize power will no longer make their AOE Knockback power useless.[/

/storm controllers (or fire tollers that took bonfire) are probably the only controllers not happy with the change.

Still, it will fix so much of the frustration with AOE immob, especially in the hands of new controllers.

As someone who’s still learning the basics on my private server, I’m amazed at all of these updates.

Why would Stormies hate this change? Hurricane will still Repel, even if they won't go flying as much, which should be more precise than before, and it's a huge buff to Tornado's CC effects if they get knocked down in place rather than either scatter or stand unaffected. And Fire Control never had -KB in the first place, so Bonfire is unaffected.

Fire Cages has -KB.  So Bonfire is made better.

Is the update done yet? Because I can't log in. If it isn't done, how long will it last?

It's done, close tequila, restart your computer, and then try again.

Thanks, after restarting Tequilla it says "now downloading" XP

love everything what you guys are doing, but, and I am sure there is a lot of guys out there that also wants this. PLEASE, I Beg PLEASE ADD THE WASTE COAT TO THE MALE WIDOWS< PLEASE WITH WHIP CREAM, CHERRIES, and CHOCOLATE on top, will even ad sprinkles and nuts.

If they simply want to stop people from leveling in DFB to 50 why not simply make it so once your Lv 23, the xp goes to 1 xp per mob or whatever?

They have that little graph but how did they get said graph? Cause if they had even run the actual thing in testing, they would notice it is not what is happening. I remember getting Lv 8 or more on first run in a full group, i barely got lv 6 this time in a full group. So they either mixed up some code somewhere or horribly broke something.

If they simply want to stop people from leveling in DFB to 50 why not simply make it so once your Lv 23, the xp goes to 1 xp per mob or whatever?

They have that little graph but how did they get said graph? Cause if they had even run the actual thing in testing, they would notice it is not what is happening. I remember getting Lv 8 or more on first run in a full group, i barely got lv 6 this time in a full group. So they either mixed up some code somewhere or horribly broke something.

Given the wildly different experiences of people on full teams, this is likely more observational bias than fact. You got to 8 in 1 run, another got to 10 in 1 run, another got to 10 in 2 runs, another got to 20 in 3 runs....and soon. Maybe they did break something....maybe...but it makes no sense that everyone who thinks that reports different results in the levels they made before the change.