Held! 😰

After reading the below thread, a suggestion suddenly came to me.

One of the issues with the Mez Protection powers such as Clear Mind is that, in a large melee it might not always be obvious that a teammate is being Mezzed.

The suggestion is simple: When a player is Mezzed, the word "Held!"  appears above their head like damage numbers do. It would, of course, change depending on the type of Mez, and it would repeat every 5-10 seconds so that their teammates will be aware.

Naturally, there should be an option to disable this if required, perhaps it should be off by default. Only main issue I can see is when people use an Awaken and get shamed by the game by repeatedly announcing to everyone that they are Stunned.

• Like 6

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

That would come handy, yet if I have to choose,  I prefer the PBAOE effect mechanism is a much quicker way to dispense buffs. Both upgrades, would be fantastic as well. The reason I  prefer PBAOEs is that since many mob's Status Effect attacks are area ones as well, having an area solution would make sense, also it takes less clicks to execute which in a tough battle can make a difference.

Sue

I've always wanted to see a bigger benefit to using powers that exist only to help allies break free of holds and provide no benefit to yourself.

I feel like a good example to cite here is a mechanic from an almost entirely different game, Team Fortress 2. The Pyro character in this game can, using the alternate fire of their flamethrower, put out friendly characters who have been set on fire by the other team. doing so rewards them with some restored health, allowing them to essentially heal themselves by helping friendlies.

Adding in some mechanic to offer a small reward to any Defender, Corruptor, Controller or Mastermind using their powers in this way would make sets like Empathy a bit more appealing, and make powers like Clear Mind more tempting to pick.

Of course, you might want to exclude automatic powers, like the Electricity support power's huge dome, as that doesn't require the same finesse!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KelvinKole said:

I would just lean towards working it into the team ui instead of on screen. Things can be hard to see in this game, but I can always tell if someone's health bar turns bright pink or hatch marked or something. 

This.

If I'm in a heavy fight I barely see the actual fight or my teammates.   My attention is heavily focused on the team (or league) ui watching icons, health bars, and end bars.

Edit: Of course the ideal situation would be both options available as unless things are going sideways I am attacking and would more likely see float text and other visual cues.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I like this

It would also be nice if pressing the jump button while mezzed would cause the message to appear... people will probably spam it but at least you'd be able to see who's crying out for help, right?

And then your buff/debuff ATs that have no mezz protection at all will feel pretty useless.

"Um, dark here. You don't happen to be feared, do you?"

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, arthurh35353 said:

And then your buff/debuff ATs that have no mezz protection at all will feel pretty useless.

I think the intent of OP's suggestion is so that anybody can see if an ally is mezzed.

If somebody has a power that can clear mez effects, then they can identify who needs it. Otherwise, it at least helps people know who might be in danger and jump to the rescue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tyrannical said:

If somebody has a power that can clear mez effects, then they can identify who needs it. Otherwise, it at least helps people know who might be in danger and jump to the rescue.

Excellent point, the tank could quickly target through to Taunt, scrapper hit Focus or the defender or blaster where and who to blast or nuke.  It's not purely just so the Empath knows who to Clear Mind but who might be most in trouble on the team.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

I think the intent of OP's suggestion is so that anybody can see if an ally is mezzed.

Absolutely, but not everyone comes with good tools to actually help in a lot of 'I'm held' situations. 😞

2 hours ago, arthurh35353 said:

I mean, that's something players would simply learn. Or not. 

Not unlike the days when people would cry out that they needed heals to a Trick Arrow defender, who'd be like "oh yea, I got a Healing Arrow right here. It's a suppository. Bend over."

Snark aside, it is important for players to know what powersets bring what powers to the table. 

Not everyone can free everyone from status effects.

Even powers that DO free you from status effects, don't always work on ALL status effects. 

• Kinetics/Increase Density won't do a darn thing for Fear or Confuse, though it does add some Smashing/Energy resistance
  • Poison/Antidote covers all the traditional Clear Mind effects, while also giving Cold and Toxic and Slow Resistance.
  • ForceField/DispersionBubble protects vs Hold,Immob,Stun, but won't do anything abou Fear/Confuse/Sleep.
  • StormSummoning/O2 boost protects against Stun and Sleep, and Endurance Drain (malta anyone?), but won't free you from Hold, Fear, Immob, or Confuse.
  • and several, such as Time, Trick Arrow, Cold, Nature, etc just have nothing. You on your own. 

Personally, I wouldn't want words flashing over people's heads, but as long as I can turn it off, I'm fine with it.

A UI based indicator / color change to health bars would be less invasive for me, but I do get there can be colorblindness issues to wrestle with too, and choosing what kind of indicator is best for a variety of people.  Letting the end user choose is best, but of course, requires more coding and testing. 

1 minute ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Lol

But yes instead of Focus (or in addition to) my scrapper could be target, follow, pass one over while using Shockwave to give some breathing space.

Wait?  You're saying a Scrapper is capable of doing something other than targeting an enemy and attacking?

Are you sure about that? 'Cause I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

2 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Wait?  You're saying a Scrapper is capable of doing something other than targeting an enemy and attacking?

Oh yeah mine's domesticated not wild or feral and considers it her duty to be ready to double back from her usual spawn crashing to help a teammate.  Of course scrapperlock's a thing and sometimes the arrival can be ... a bit late 🤫

• Haha 1

@Doomguide2005 does make a point that the utility of this suggestion means it can be useful for everyone. Sure, you might not be able to break someone out of a Stun, but you can see that your ally is in trouble and help however you can, usually by distracting or eliminating the enemy that is attacking them. Or slipping them a Break Free.

• Like 2

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

13 minutes ago, AerialAssault said:

@Doomguide2005 does make a point that the utility of this suggestion means it can be useful for everyone. Sure, you might not be able to break someone out of a Stun, but you can see that your ally is in trouble and help however you can, usually by distracting or eliminating the enemy that is attacking them. Or slipping them a Break Free.

Thanks but it was actually @Tyrannicalthat pointed it out initially.  I just ran with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, KelvinKole said:

I would just lean towards working it into the team ui instead of on screen. Things can be hard to see in this game, but I can always tell if someone's health bar turns bright pink or hatch marked or something. 

They'd have to make something like that work on both "classic team UI" and "regular".  This coming from someone who can't stand the "regular team UI" that was introduced later in the game's life and became the default setting unfortunately.   The person who designed it obviously never heard of the word contrast.

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

Capable.. sure. Able to... .. .

Such action could require overcoming the hidden inherent power 'tunnel vision', and would of course be considered extraordinary

Edited by Troo
Inherent
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

11 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

After reading the below thread, a suggestion suddenly came to me.

One of the issues with the Mez Protection powers such as Clear Mind is that, in a large melee it might not always be obvious that a teammate is being Mezzed.

The suggestion is simple: When a player is Mezzed, the word "Held!"  appears above their head like damage numbers do. It would, of course, change depending on the type of Mez, and it would repeat every 5-10 seconds so that their teammates will be aware.

Naturally, there should be an option to disable this if required, perhaps it should be off by default. Only main issue I can see is when people use an Awaken and get shamed by the game by repeatedly announcing to everyone that they are Stunned.

Hmm....

I think the pop-up above one's head may have more downsides than upsides. It can easily be drowned out with everything else going on. However, it is not a bad suggestion at all, just tweaked a bit. First, C.M. should be an AOE as I have stated in that post. Secondly, if such an alert was implemented, the person's health bar should gray-out or turn to black. And if you want this option turned off or change the color one can do so in the options. This would be a clear sign to any healer this person needs assistance.

• Like 1

Team resist effects inspirations; Protection Imbuement, Greater Protection Imbuement, and even Superior Protection Imbuement, can be used by anyone, so it's always possible someone else on the team could help if they knew and were prepped for it. All they have to do is see where you are, get close enough, and pop the insp. I always keep a few on me, and have a few of the 'Greater' insps in my email.