The New Energy Melee Set

I know it's a rework. I played it on live on a stalker but have made a brute now. I just picked up Total Focus last night and I see something about storing a charge of energy. I looked at the patch notes but it didn't exactly explain what this does when it is expended. I'm getting the notifications in combat when this does happen but I'm unsure of what exactly it's doing. Is there someone out there who is knowledgeable on the subject and can explain it to me so I understand it? Thank you.

Marshal Valor

Commander of the 1st Fist of Light

It is a treed combo mechanic. Total Focus is the opener whether it hits or not. Then three powers can use the 'stored energy' each with a different effect.

If Total Focus crits it results in two charges.

If used as part of the combo:

Barrage 100% chance for stun and applies a weakening (-special and -regen) effect to the target
Power Crash Target cap increased to 10 targets (16 for Tankers)
Energy Transfer Cast time reduced from 2.67s to 1.0s

I'll come back with more details.

[edit/add]

Powerset Revamp: Energy Melee

Energy Melee has received a series of changes aimed at improving the performance of the set. Total Focus now acts as an opener for three different Energy Focus combos, including a Total Focus > Energy Transfer combo which provides fast, potent single target damage. Stun has been reworked into Power Crash, a cone attack, in order to provide a small amount of additional AoE capability to the set.

Spoiler

Power Changes

• PowerPunch_Quick.png.0b2c404e5c8c09c113c0e5e82582ccd1.png Barrage
    • If used with Energy Focus: 100% chance for stun and applies a weakening (-special and -regen) effect to the target
  • PowerPunch_EnergyPunch.png.44e985fa5f4304be9efb9290b00df6c3.png Energy Punch
    • Recharge increased from 4s to 5s
    • End cost increased from 5.2 to 6.032
    • Damage increased from scale 1 to scale 1.16
  • PowerPunch_BoneSmasher.png.4b5b0ff79881fce43094691d2d0bebf6.png Bone Smasher
    • Cast time reduced from 1.5s to 1.27s
  • PowerPunch_PowerCrash.png.a4d5d6bb685de2aa8ffb1941928fdd09.png Power Crash (Replaces Stun)
    • Power Crash is now a minor cone that can hit up to 5 targets (10 for Tankers)
    • No longer takes melee damage sets, now takes PBAoE damage sets (any existing enhancements will remain slotted until the character respecs)
    • If used with Energy Focus: Target cap increased to 10 targets (16 for Tankers)
    • If you previously had Stun in your build, you'll now have Power Crash
    • Stalkers only:
      • This power has a 16s recharge (instead of a 9s recharge for other ATs), with proportional damage and endurance cost increases per the standard damage formulas
      • As Stalkers do not have Whirling Hands, they rely entirely on Power Crash for AoE damage
  • PowerPunch_Flurry.png.0266af4c305c8b2d37103a3ad915e3d2.png Whirling Hands
    •  Damage increased from scale 1 to scale 1.1819 (it was slightly below what the damage formula dictated)
  • PowerPunch_TotalFocus.png.e155c20e6f19deb0c692462ed94e6020.png Total Focus 
    • Cast time reduced from 3.3 seconds to 2.53 seconds
    • Total Focus grants a charge of Energy Focus (even if power misses)
    • PowerPunch_EnergyStore1.png.1f177d3e036104c9808cfef4e83867db.png Energy Focus
      • Energy Focus is consumed when casting certain Energy Melee powers in order to provide bonus effects (Energy Focus is not consumed if the power misses)
      • Energy Focus expires after 15 seconds
    • Stalkers / Scrappers only:
      • This power only crits for 28% additional damage, but when it crits, it will also generate a backup Energy Store that will re-activate Energy Focus after the current Energy Focus is used or expires (essentially it provides two stacks of Energy Focus)
  • PowerPunch_EnergyTransfer.png.28fb635ca16499cd48a65ad885598dde.png Energy Transfer
    • Energy Transfer self damage is now 10% of base max HP for all ATs, and no longer costs any endurance
    • Damage is now 100% energy
    • Recharge lowered from 20s to 10s
    • If used with Energy Focus: Cast time reduced from 2.67s to 1.0s
    • Stalkers / Scrappers only:
      • This power only crits for 28% additional damage, but when it crits, it will not only avoid the self-damage, it will actually heal you for 10% of your base max HP

•  

Edited by Troo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I haven't played EM on a stalker, but here's the way it works on Tanks:

Total Focus stores up a charge, this can be released using

Barrage: gives a 100% chance to stun (mag 3 I think) and gives the attack -100% regen

Energy Transfer: decreases the activation time significantly (I don't know the exact number).

What this team needs is more Defenders

Basically, they added some AoE with Power Crash and a path to the 1s Energy Transfer which is gated by the use of Total Focus (which had animation time reduced)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

39 minutes ago, Marshal Valor said:

Just out of curiosity does Energy Transfer still have that God awful herky jerky animation that they took from Back Alley Brawler? I much prefer the older animation.

As @Troo said (expanding on it to clarify when each occurs), it has both the awful one when used without focus and the old animation when used with focus.

A lot of my time testing the set in beta was finding ways to avoid getting the slow animation.

But is it more fun?

Personally, I had a lvl 50 EM Brute prior to these changes. I have not even respec'd the character. Not sure if because I perceive the changes as underwhelming, or just enjoy(and understand) Street Fighting more. ( I have a 50 stalker and 50 scrapper both with SJ and like playing them more.)

Or is it because I never, ever warmed up to brutes? I'll play a tank over a brute any day. I apologize because this is off-topic.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

It is absolutely better across the board now unless you were really really concerned with precisely how much mag of single target stun you could stack up. Damage output is unquestionably better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

But is it more fun?

Personally, I had a lvl 50 EM Brute prior to these changes. I have not even respec'd the character. Not sure if because I perceive the changes as underwhelming, or just enjoy(and understand) Street Fighting more. ( I have a 50 stalker and 50 scrapper both with SJ and like playing them more.)

Or is it because I never, ever warmed up to brutes? I'll play a tank over a brute any day. I apologize because this is off-topic.

While fun is subjective, I have to wonder why you had one at level 50 between Homecoming going public and the EM revamp that you are suddenly having less fun with.

You can still get the godawful horrible animation for Energy Transfer if you want by using it before Total Focus and using another expender (Power Crash or Barrage), you had a nearly-useless power replaced with a cone, and everything else in the set does the same things they did before, with some powers doing it better. That ignores the combo system (or charge/expend mechanic for those who insist on a narrow definition of what a combo system entails) entirely.

If you liked it before enough to get it to 50, specifically what makes it appeal less to you now?

Speaking, as someone who used to be able to skip Total Focus.. it is not more fun, but it is an improvement.

Folks wanting a combo mechanic are likely super happy.

Why we couldn't swap Stun for an AoE, put back the 1s Energy Transfer, and adjust some numbers accordingly without the combo.. is baffling.

2 minutes ago, Troo said:

Speaking, as someone who used to be able to skip Total Focus.. it is not more fun, but it is an improvement.

Folks wanting a combo mechanic are likely super happy.

Why we couldn't swap Stun for an AoE, put back the 1s Energy Transfer, and adjust some numbers accordingly without the combo.. is baffling.

You can still skip Total Focus, you just can’t do both that and have the improved damage output it provides. Taking Total Focus still was, is, and forever shall be your call. 

And tbh, respectfully brother troo, if you can’t offer an alternative that doesn’t include having 1s ET available 100% of the time, you aren’t coming off as someone who is serious about seeking out a compromise with the devs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arcane said:

It is absolutely better across the board now unless you were really really concerned with precisely how much mag of single target stun you could stack up.

Wasn't intending to multipost, but this came in while I was typing my response. Even if you are concerned with precisely how much magnitude of single target stun, you're still better off. You just use Barrage instead Stun (and do more damage while applying the same magnitude). The people who were complaining about losing Stun during the feedback thread were  talking about wanting to Stun one mob quickly in a fresh encounter, then switch to another one. They can use Total Focus for that now with a slightly slower animation, and Barrage as a follow up in less total animation time.

And as @Troo said while I was typing this, people who wanted to bypass and/or not use Total Focus aren't happy that it's now the power that the rest of the set builds around. At least it's not still stuck in the "look at my incredible hangtime in super slow motion" animation.

1 minute ago, arcane said:

And tbh, respectfully brother troo, if you can’t offer an alternative that doesn’t include having 1s ET available 100% of the time, you aren’t coming off as someone who is serious about seeking out a compromise with the devs.

I suggested a 1.13 second animation available all the time in one of the many "fix EM" threads that were popping up - apparently while there was a closed beta for the system that eventually went in. I consider that a compromise, because it would cut the DPA by an amount that it wouldn't be a complete standout.

Given what ended up going live, as others have pointed out, a permanent 1 second Energy Transfer (and fixing Whirling Hands to actually follow the damage formula instead of underperforming) while leaving the rest of the set as-is would actually perform worse, so I don't see how it's so unacceptable to start with that as the base idea.

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

TF + ET to get the fET of 1s is a mathematical illusion. Props math folks.

8 minutes ago, Troo said:

TF + ET to get the fET of 1s is a mathematical illusion. Props math folks.

Not sure what you’re getting at. Ofc it’s not the same as fast ET all the time. That was the entire point. That was always a non-starter.

1 hour ago, KC4800 said:

But is it more fun?

The revamp didn't go the path I would have chosen. I think it is objectively a better version than the immediate predecessor.

I happen to have fun with the new Energy Melee (on my Tank, no PVP), but there was a long stretch of playtime (on Live, with my launch-day character) after the AI behavior of stunned enemies was "fixed" that I leaned in HARD to the Stun mechanic. The current version has brought a lot of that feeling back, without me having to make as explicit choices in power selections or slotting. There are some enemies that just look so CUTE stumbling around in a daze.

• Like 1

I find it to be actually a bit, well, overpowered. Against single targets, with the right combo (cough cough, bio, cough cough) you can splatter anything everywhere.

My absolute strongest single target murdermachine is my enm/bio stalker, who just murderizes things. Choice of where you drop your procs there is IMPORTANT, because you can do all sorts of nifty things with the combo mechanic that pumps the damage waaaaaay up.

49 minutes ago, tidge said:

The revamp didn't go the path I would have chosen. I think it is objectively a better version than the immediate predecessor.

I happen to have fun with the new Energy Melee (on my Tank, no PVP), but there was a long stretch of playtime (on Live, with my launch-day character) after the AI behavior of stunned enemies was "fixed" that I leaned in HARD to the Stun mechanic. The current version has brought a lot of that feeling back, without me having to make as explicit choices in power selections or slotting. There are some enemies that just look so CUTE stumbling around in a daze.

Agreed. I also didn't want do have to deal with a combo system on my Invuln/EM Tank, but the math shows that the current version has objectively better DPS.

I do kind of miss the days when stunned enemies would ice skate away at warp speed. It could be occasionally frustrating to deal with but, most of the time, it was just hilarious.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I've always liked the float up and hammer down WHAMMO animation on Total Focus.  So it's an easy sell to me, esp with Total Focus still doing basically the same animation, but faster. At least, it feels faster to me. I haven't got hard data on that though. 

My Energy/Energy brute certainly feels like a wrecking ball when I play him. The Stun mechanic on Barrage is nice (too low level yet for Energy Transfer), and can let me park and annoying mob while I pummel his buddies down. The extra AE targets on a "charged up" Power Crash can be nice when teaming.  The only "problem" I have now is that I like alllllllmost every single power from his Primary and Secondary trees, and it's proving to be a royal pain to squeeze in all the Pool powers I want.  Oh woe is me, I know, I know....

Ideally, I'd still rather not have a charge up/release system at all. 

But it's not that invasive, and it's cycled around an attack (Total Focus) that I was going to use on cooldown anyway.

It's certainly better than combo systems that say "you must attack with A, then B, then C, in order, and if you attack with anything else in between your combo is ruined".

Edited by MTeague

2 hours ago, arcane said:

No such thing as a mandatory power in this game besides inherents and secondary t1’s. Nothing sad about facts. 

This would then violate the cottage rule. Your positions could be taken as hypocritical. That's not to be confused with Hippo Critical my newest scrapper character.

Edited by Taboo
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1