How much dps for each AT?

I have been making builds and playing around with the bets dps calculator in mids and it got me wondering as to how much dps should I be looking for with each AT.

Basically once you have whatever the AT is designed for (like tanking and  defenses/recharge depending on AT ) you then try to build as much dps as you can.

I am basically looking at how much should be expected out of a build with each AT.

Thanks

Unfortunately, there's just too much disparity between powersets to answer that.

In my head, a tank should never be able to out-damage a scrapper but my shield/em tank, with AAO fully saturated, has a better pylon time than my claws/sr scrapper, as one example, and there are many.

The only way to really judge inter-AT DPS is to go full out like for like combos and identical slotting where possible. Obviously a scrapper can't slot the tanker's AT IOs. I did just that with my claws/sr scrapper/brute and sr/claws tank. Scrapper sits around 340 DPS, brute at 285, tank at 270.

By comparison within an AT, my claws/bio scrapper sits at 550 DPS but can't survive nearly as well as the claws/sr.

• Like 4

Bill is right, dps depends entirely on how you build.

That said, https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Damage#Damage_Scale

And https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Limits#Maximum_4

Take this with a grain of salt. Brutes are low scalar because their inherent gives them a damage bonus, which is why they have a high boost limit. Same with scrappers /stalkers and criticals.

The damage scales just give you a base of comparison to know where to go, there are dozens of options to boost DPS, directly or indirectly. Pets for instance are extremely difficult to calculate hypothetically, as their damage output is dependant on how you use them.

Defenders, a classic support archetype, can have high DPS and survivability thanks to their buffs /debuffs in concert with pool powers and IO sets. Or not, DPS is just one tool.

The only real test is to play the build a while and get a sense of what's working and what isn't.

• Like 1

500DPS can solo a GM.

A good blaster will be in the 750-900 DPS range.

• Like 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

One of the (many) things I enjoy about NOT playing  WoW is not seeing some 12 year old post team DPS rankings every few minutes.

Play what you enjoy.  Enjoy what you play.  Does stuff die?  Prob okay then.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Marshal_General said:

What I am basically looking for is some sort of measure like a blaster's dps should not be lower than X and so forth so that I can see if I need to work at improving my builds.

Though I am sure that the builder's dps tool is far from accurate.

The Blaster that i am looking to main on/off soon is an Ice/Temp/Ice.  A slight amount of research will show this is one of the lowest Blaster damage builds, especially since i do not PROC monster it.  

Also, I kind of am not real good with it.  Yet.

But i play it because i enjoy what it does.  It does damage, has an interesting secondary effect, I can write a story about the character that makes sense to me.  I enjoy the combat style.  I damage, from range, and sometimes do holds.  

If you want to chase pure damage numbers go Fire Blaster.  

• Like 2

Even in the most ideal and easiest conditions, i.e. a Pylon test, the highest blaster times posted have been around the 50 seconds range. Which is just about 800-900 DPS. It seems highly unrealistic to say a merely "good" blaster should achieve that. It's more like, go all out in melee with a fully optimized attack chain loaded with procs, against a target that is kept in place and with mitigation taken care of.

This is also limited to a select few powersets so a poor benchmark for the whole AT. I'm not sure any primary that isn't Fire Blast or Ice Blast is going to push 800 DPS, even played by an exceptional player using an optimal build geared for ST damage. Let alone just a good blaster.

I think a much more practical blaster number to shoot for is 400-500 DPS. At this range, as previously mentioned you have the damage output to solo level 50 GMs or level 54 archvillains in theory (in practice, they run away and deal damage, so some variable melee DPS will be lost relative to your kiting skills, and some variable DPS will be lost relative to the time you spend on damage mitigation).

At 400 DPS, you will be ahead of 90% of the players you meet ingame. Guaranteed. Consider that if every player on a team did half of that, or 200 DPS, and no force multiplying was involved whatsoever, a +4 AV would drop in 40 seconds. Without Lore or tricks. I'd estimate the effective DPS of the average player on a level 50 character around 100ish.

I find 300-400 DPS, if it is mostly effective DPS and not conditional, takes on just about any reasonable challenge in the game, and many unreasonable ones (solo +4/x8 ITF, solo Apex/TinM/LRSF/STF). Provided you use all your tools, but without prep time - that is to say, Lore and T1/T2 insps, but no mailed insps or costly temps.

This generally comes to a 200-300 DPS attack chain in the Mids builder, if you have some decent -res (be it native or -res procs). If you don't have any -res, you obviously want more DPS.

• Like 4

Okay....I know I am not good.  This applies but is not limited to talent, alignment, and technical skills.  

However, my Mids DPS shows my Ice Blaster doing 100.2 Bitter Freeze Ray and 124.9 DPS Bitter Ice Blast.  How, exactly, does a blaster push this attacks chain to 800-900 DPS.  And Procs are not going to get 700 DPS, so do not try to sell me that horseshit.

Nihili covered it well.

The thing is that DPS has no great place in CoH outside of small niche things like beating up AVs. But wait, you might say, beating up AVs -is- a part of the CoH experience! And you would be correct, but thinking back on it how often and how long do we spend beating up AVs? We might spend 7-10 missions beating regular bad guys to finally reach an AV. So easily 200-300 enemies for one AV.

And regular bad guys don't require DPS (damage per second) but rather burst. Sentinels are reviled for their mediocre DPS but are about kings for regular play (but since they suck at things like pylon tests they are shunned. The target cap is also a big bad nerf). For regular play a Sentinel will have their nuke + all their AoEs available at every single new group of enemies, and using it will decimate most of them in a brilliant flash of light and expanding pink clouds of what used to be people with dreams and aspirations and are now dispersing molecules of fle-... pixels.

Ahem.

So, anyway. Even regular bosses require no more than 10 or so seconds to defeat for most damaging ATs. So calculations on how much damage something will do over a period of hitting something for one minute are not very useful.

A Blaster can bridge this with both burst and DPS. The smarter way I found of playing one was using nuke + AoEs on a pack of enemies, and the next pack of enemies use Build-up + Aim + AoEs. This because the nukes are so strong they hardly need the extra help in killing a group but are usually only up every two spawns, so alternating nuke and BU + Aim makes a Blaster a powerful force never resting.

Pylon tests are useful, but also detrimental. It brings elitism when X powerset is poo pooed because it does poor shows in the test. But they are test with little usefulness. They are literally tests done for a segment of the gameplay we spend less than 1% on: the AV fight. Further they are skewed by the peculiarities of the pylon test which loves -res procs further favoring certain sets (Bio Armor for example, any attack set that allows to slot -res procs) and creating a gap with sets who do not have the chance to use those. Where, in testing against actual AVs, the effects are greatly diminished (in my own testing two -res procs can increase damage in 25% but on an AV the damage increase was lowered to 5-8%. Still good, but not overwhelmingly good as the pylon test would have led us to believe).

A better test candidate might be the Trapdoor mission that the Scrapper forums have a thread about. That one is not about hitting an inconsequential target who does not move and soaks -res procs like ambrosia. It is a test of the actual gameplay we will find while playing CoH. Defeating low HP enemies, having to fear for our lives (there are many Blasters who tried the test and come out with defeats that killed their times. No 50 second times for them if they are hugging the ground, and that too is part of the 'real' gameplay experience), moving to the next target, then defeat a semi tough final boss.

This is not the answering your question but I feel it was all already covered.

• Like 2

I am not a science guy.  I am actually good at math, my crazy logic notwithstanding.  But applied stuff is boring to me past solving the equations.  

I have read, a bit, okay, quite a bit about characters attack chains and DPS.  Without actually "doing the work"

Basically you crank the global recharge than use the highest DPS attacks you got in a tight chain.  

But with my MiDs showing my highest DPS attacks on a fully kitted out Ice Blaster (just naturally occuring PROCS, but winterized and high end built) as 100-125 on big ST attacks I am not sure how any amount of recharge will take this to 500, much less 700-900.  No amount of Recharge will increase DPS.  It just brings those attacks up faster.

9 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Okay....I know I am not good.  This applies but is not limited to talent, alignment, and technical skills.  

However, my Mids DPS shows my Ice Blaster doing 100.2 Bitter Freeze Ray and 124.9 DPS Bitter Ice Blast.  How, exactly, does a blaster push this attacks chain to 800-900 DPS.  And Procs are not going to get 700 DPS, so do not try to sell me that horseshit.

Snarky, you are a fine internet undead dude, but you don't know enough to sprout certainties. If you want a better show of what an Ice Blaster can do you copy one of the proc heavy builds. Each attack can take at least three damage procs and still be slotted with three Thunderstrikes with no recharge in them (accuracy damage, damage endurance, accuracy damage endurance).

I say this because you stated 'Ice Blaster'. But several answers you got from the Ice/Ice person and others in your thread in the Blaster forums already stated that purely ranged will cut on the damage potential by a large bit. Ice/Ice is not the most damaging combo so you would not do the 800-900 goal regardless. You would get closer with procs though. With procs purely ranged Ice is either on par with purely ranged Fire or slightly ahead. To reach these 800-900 numbers you must embrace melee on a squishy. You don't want to do that. Heck, -I- don't want to do that. If I wanted to be in melee range I'd play a darn Scrapper 😛

One of the sub one minute Blaster times I remember reading in the Pylon thread over the Scrapper forums was a Ice/Fire (or perhaps Ice/Energy? It's been a long while). They hugged the pylon, went nuts, and of course mixed the very high melee damaging attacks. These make the difference to reach such absurd numbers, but whomever achieves this in regular play deserves it.

That said you can aim for S/L defense instead of Ranged defense and dip into melee range without it being such a dangerous thing to do without said 45% S/L defense. S/L would protect against Ranged, Melee, and AoE.

20 minutes ago, Snarky said:

From your numbers, you're looking to get ~ 500% increase in dps. Not a math guy either but here's how I could see it done:

• Stack debuffs. -res -regen and -def all in some way will effectively increase dps. 
  • Use Incarnate powers. Some powers offer up to +40% damage. Other powers will add additional debuffs. 
  • Increase recharge rate to up your Build Up power, which does +100% (?) damage increase for 10 seconds. 
  • Add IO's which add +% damage. On my blaster, IO's alone does +225% damage without me using any active powers
  • Slot Assault
  • Slot procs like Gaussians and Decimation Chance for Build Up (tho I can't recall if those uniquely increase acc only or both acc + damage)
  • Use powers that don't require clicks; aka dots. Fire's Burn for example, can tick for 200 dps. 

Also, FYI as a blaster, procs are not as effective since your base damage bonus is higher than support AT's. Look at Bopper's posts on Procs and you should be able to follow his logic on this.

I poked around Blaster forums looking for a PROC build.  Gave up after delving through the first 9 pages or so.  This is why I suck at science.  My patience for this crap...sigh.  But there is no way PROCs will increase DPS on my Ice Blaster from 100-125 DPS to 700 DPS.  Seriously.  No, seriously.  

So, either I am looking at MiDs wrong or I am doing something else horribly off kilter.  I am in Mids, I go to View Options, click show DPS.  and....not even in the ballpark of what is being discussed.

3 minutes ago, Olly said:

From your numbers, you're looking to get ~ 500% increase in dps. Not a math guy either but here's how I could see it done:

• Stack debuffs. -res -regen and -def all in some way will effectively increase dps. 
  • Use Incarnate powers. Some powers offer up to +40% damage. Other powers will add additional debuffs. 
  • Increase recharge rate to up your Build Up power, which does +100% (?) damage increase for 10 seconds. 
  • Add IO's which add +% damage. On my blaster, IO's alone does +225% damage without me using any active powers
  • Slot Assault
  • Slot procs like Gaussians and Decimation Chance for Build Up (tho I can't recall if those uniquely increase acc only or both acc + damage)
  • Use powers that don't require clicks; aka dots. Fire's Burn for example, can tick for 200 dps. 

Also, FYI as a blaster, procs are not as effective since your base damage bonus is higher than support AT's. Look at Bopper's posts on Procs and you should be able to follow his logic on this.

Here is my build.  It is built for Lazy Hover Blasting, but the damn thing is effective.  I did not "gimp it"

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Ice Blast
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Cold Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Time Wall -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(7), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(9), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(9), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(11), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(11)
Level 2: Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(13), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Time Stop -- SprEnt-Acc/Hold(A), SprEnt-Hold/Rchg(17), SprEnt-End/Rchg(19), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End(19), SprEnt-Acc/Hold/End/Rchg(21), SprEnt-Rchg/AbsorbProc(21)
Level 6: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 8: Freeze Ray -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 10: Chronos -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Build%(31)
Level 12: Ice Storm -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(34), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(34)
Level 14: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 18: Bitter Ice Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(34), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(37)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(48), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(48), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(50), NmnCnv-Heal(50), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Bitter Freeze Ray -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(40)
Level 28: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Tactics -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 32: Blizzard -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(42)
Level 35: Snow Storm -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(43), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(43), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(43), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(45), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(45)
Level 38: Flash Freeze -- CaloftheS-Heal%(A)
Level 41: Time Shift -- PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(A), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(45), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(46), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(46), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(46), PcnoftheT--Rchg%(48)
Level 44: Time Lord -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 47: Frozen Armor -- Ksm-ToHit+(A)
Level 49: Hoarfrost -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1357;630;1260;HEX;|
|78DA4D94DB6E12511486F7C0605B0E45440AA5C54A5B947298B6BE80516A15034A4|
|BF5968C6502938C3081C1D84B9FC244A555E3A1555B0FF178E7F1C277F0C217F0F0|
|02A62E583F0492E19B599BF5FF3F7B2FC85F5F72EF9DBD7152489E8CA1369BA5D3F|
|46E698DE17CCB522DBD5E139DD7105D21AC9456D55A452B2BD9758D3F1CEB2D145B|
|A6596F58CA9A7695A81AA5BC5AD3CD96C13AAE42BD6E28CB865EA95ABEEE7DB6764|
|D6FEA577443B7369CDD4AD1D4B4B2B77B9BD3D4B2D6685675D377C6D4D7954CDD28|
|9360C768234471A6E8CA8ADE6BDF21DA844559D836C12DA67C17BCC73C709F796A8|
|E28A17757E2B53DE6F073F005D3F9127CC53CDF6BA55E09BE6EF8BAE13B0ADF51F8|
|1E846F867CEDF0B57F9479ED13F3D067F00BF3F057F01B33475D0EF6951C49D61B0|
|3F338A68EEE10328D2153089942C81446A630322D51A611641A7960EBD6261F828F|
|98471E83DBE00EF30275B9D0EB7ACD398FBE01DF82EF98D1F7E007A68B027B38B3F|
|0FC603D0FD5BCAC27BC01BA89C8E2223DF9E0E1DB86C60E73E609F8147CC69CDD65|
|2ED377F3A3D7BFC2E737BF0A16998B6BE025F032739AB204B8570A609F67411FAD0|
|5913318E0CF17E8691C5EE3023924E6311B680765E67107CE9CF426B0171351F6F0|
|532D028F489BF6C72F8B95CEECC363EA969D356E837798736D7013DC625608D3E89|
|DC6CC2730F309CC7C02339FC2CCA730F355EA8D214BEC3BD7CED1DEC6A117875E0A|
|7A69E8A5A19786DE3CF4B2D49B845EF204E7D3090A6ACA3FD13DFB9F6E2116B02F0|
|B419E87A8DCFFEDEE4FCAFDFF0021C2BC6FB9C15A9A6B05B9FF9B1512CEF097936A|
|F09366B8F67BB016E7DA9FC15A94B3FE1DACDDE4D9FD0F3CCAC0DC|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

I poked around Blaster forums looking for a PROC build.  Gave up after delving through the first 9 pages or so.  This is why I suck at science.  My patience for this crap...sigh.  But there is no way PROCs will increase DPS on my Ice Blaster from 100-125 DPS to 700 DPS.  Seriously.  No, seriously.  

So, either I am looking at MiDs wrong or I am doing something else horribly off kilter.  I am in Mids, I go to View Options, click show DPS.  and....not even in the ballpark of what is being discussed.

I also lied above. It was so long ago I didn't recall the details. It was not sub one minute but 1:23.

At the time I reached out to Don Petro and he was kind enough to provide his build so you can peruse it if you'd like:

There -is- a single instance of (barely) sub 1 minute I found and it was a Fire/Ninja:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

THis 900 DPS build show Blazing Bolt doing 133.4 in my MiDs without aim/BU on.  So.... I am lost in this wotld.  But thanks for the build. I will tuck it away for a crazy project in the future.

When people talk about doing 900DPS on a blaster they mean with red inspirations putting them at the damage cap.

Edited by America's Angel
  • Haha 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

2 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

When people talk about doing 900DPS on a blaster they mean with red inspirations putting them at the damage cap.

DoH!!!!  THis is why I suck at science.  I get lost in the details (math, i love) and miss the F-ing obvious.  Thanks

4 minutes ago, America's Angel said:

People don't do pylon tests with red insps. Which is where the DPS numbers come from.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sovera said:

People don't do pylon tests with red insps. Which is where the DPS numbers come from.

@Snarky -- take note of Sovera's comment. When people talk about 500-900 dps, they are talking about pylon damage dps. CoH doesn't have any good tools or mods that will effectively calculate DPS. So people do it "the old fashioned way" and hit the pylons in RWZ.

And since this has turned into a blaster DPS thread, @Galaxy Brain has this tool: Blaster Primary Comparison: Standard Environment Testing - Blaster - Homecoming

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Snarky said:

THis 900 DPS build show Blazing Bolt doing 133.4 in my MiDs without aim/BU on.  So.... I am lost in this wotld.  But thanks for the build. I will tuck it away for a crazy project in the future.

I am reasonably certain you can't rely on the Mids DPS calculator. Just looking at the base DPA of the constituent attacks is much higher than 133 after enhancement. 

A quick check in the character generator if the top DPA (damage per activation which is what matters) for a lvl 50 fire blaster

Blaze 170.49

Blazing bolt 85.77

Flares 63.19

fireball 74.62

Then you basically double them (for enhancement- a bit lower due to ED, but close), then you make an assumption about sustained defiance (call it a 40% damage boost which is mild). 

after

Blaze 409

Blazing bolt 205

Flares 151

fireball 179

Now if you just chain these (which is possible, truth is you can chain without flares which is the weak spot, but I'll go minimal) this gives a 236 DPA, which is low compared to the numbers they are tossing around. However, toss in procs, musculature alpha, build up, aim, and attacks from the secondary with high DPA and you push it up a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1