IO crafter - is there a reason to have this on your main or highest level?

So I've been crafting IOs now, but not sure if the character I have some memorized recipes is the one I will continue playing.  Is there a reason to have our crafter on your main, or highest level character?  I wasn't sure if there were things like no-trade salvage or no-trade recipes. I am playing five different characters right now, so still now sure if I will ever have a main.

Thanks,

Mal

If you are doing it do it on the alt with the most influence as it is expensive to do. Other than that it doesn't really matter which one you do it on, as you can craft them and put them in your SG storage for alts to use. Plus you may well find you use common IOs less and less with each new alt, instead using attuned IOs bought from the AH anyway.

Edited by CaptainLupis

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

2 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Badging is the only reason to have it at all. You can buy a portable workbench for 10 million if you decide later you want a different dedicated crafter.

Not the ONLY reason; some of the crafting badges increase storage space on the character (25/30 give extra invention salvage storage, 45/50 increase recipe storage)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ever since the Upgrade button was added I pretty much abandonded sub lvl 40 common IOs. So having a crafting character just seems meaningless.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

1 hour ago, tidge said:

Not the ONLY reason; some of the crafting badges increase storage space on the character (25/30 give extra invention salvage storage, 45/50 increase recipe storage)

I was all set to add that getting the memorization badges also makes common IOs much less expensive to craft, but given that commons are often dumped on the auction house at fire sale prices, there's not much value to that unless you just have to make all your own enhancements.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

1 hour ago, KC4800 said:

Ever since the Upgrade button was added I pretty much abandonded sub lvl 40 common IOs. So having a crafting character just seems meaningless.

So what does the Upgrade button do?  How does it work?  I saw it, it gave a warning and I closed it.

OK I found the answer online.  It automatically buys upgrades?  That has to be more expensive than crafting memorized IOs, right.  I tend to play ALOT of characters and most of them use the same IOs, so I'm crafting 24 of the same thing at least every few levels.

Mal

Edited by malleable1

The Upgrade button allows you to automatically upgrade all your SO's to max level with one click. I use it when I ding to keep me at +3. I just did it today on my lvl 24 Controller and it was the first time it cost 1 million. When I trained I add the nearest available like a 25 and then upgrade it to 27 that way. This only works for SO's not IO's.

• Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

21 minutes ago, malleable1 said:

I tend to play ALOT of characters and most of them use the same IOs, so I'm crafting 24 of the same thing at least every few levels.

That's certainly a viable way to play it 🙂 We all play differently, and spend our influence differently.

1 hour ago, malleable1 said:

That has to be more expensive than crafting memorized IOs, right.

Yes. It's a convenience fee, and you still have to buy enhancements to put into new slots, but if you have the inf to spare and don't want to spend time replacing/combining them all it's pretty convenient.

Not really. You can buy most stuff for 50-100k, and then can make 2-3 million for the least rewarding of TFs, or make 5 million at level 50 just running a single map. So 50-100k? A pittance.

At the start of HC I would do a Posi 1 and 2 and be level 22. Selling the merits I'd have 5-6 millions. Slotting everything with generic IOs cost something like 2 million. Then I got into the habit of stripping the characters and remove those generic IOs and just hand them to my newest alt so I stopped even spending the 2 million.

So it's basically for badging or because it's fun, purposes, but otherwise the time sunk into it is not returned in any shape or way when what we get is saving 20k, or maybe 50k.

17 hours ago, KC4800 said:

While it's true the upgrade is more convenient, a level 30 IO out-performs a level 30 SO, and you don't need to replace it at level 35. The SO will degrade as the character levels, the IO will not. If influence is no object, I can see using upgrade, keeping +3 SOs - until they no longer outshine the IOs. But even then - how can you pass up those IO set bonuses? 

Set bonuses? That is beyond the scope of this discussion. The OP asks about crafting Generic Common Invention IOs for the badges, should she do it on one character, does everybody do it that way. My point was I don't bother with that because I don't slot a common invention IO until lvl 40, I just use SO's. I never said I didn't use sets.

Set bonuses implies using Invention sets, like Luck of the Gambler, of course you should use those, but those have nothing to do with getting the invention badges, which was the original point I was making.

In the context of the game being Live and super/villain-groups being strongly relevant to the group elements of the game, having a dedicated IO crafter in the SG/VG made a lot of sense.  With enough experience, the generic IO recipes become memorized, significantly lowering the cost of building them.  When you are only crafting for yourself, it is difficult for that cost gain to become a factor, because of all the overhead in making enough recipes to memorize them.

-- Rock