En/En - The Murder Bunny

Harlequin565

So I finally got my Blaster back to where it was pre-shutdown. Still got plenty of Incarnate stuff to be getting on with, but everything is T3, so I can handle all the content.

Blasters require a philosophy. More so than any other AT. People are envious of you. A whole new class has appeared that is trying desperately to be you, but... well... isn't. You will die. You will get complaints. You will get people who can't comprehend how fast you're killing stuff and think it's them. And if you build it right, you'll be dusting yourself off at the end of a fight whilst they're all wheezing and resting and popping greens and slapping their backs at how good they were.

Damage or Die.

Energy/Energy is even worse. The amount of moaning I had to endure from melee ATs that were incapable of using WASD to chase down what was flopping on the floor with a sliver of health left. Tells from people telling me that there are "KB to KD procs you know". Moaning from Defenders who complained about anchors getting knocked about, or minions getting bumped out of AoE debuffs. Blasters kill stuff quick. We'd be waiting a long time for freezing rain or some green rad debuff to actually kill anything. Find a good Storm defender. Duo the game.

That said, the journey to 50 requires teaming. It's a sad and lonely life to 50 solo, so in the interests of team happiness, I eased up on Nova & Explosive blast, hopping over mobs and KB'ing them *back* into the rest of the team with Torrent, serving them up to the fatty tanks on a platter.

Energy Primary

Everything here is awesome. But you can't have all the powers and some have to go. I dropped the T1 blast (Power bolt) and Power Push (already have Power Thrust) and took everything else. Blast/Burst & Sniper make a great single target rotation, and if you pop yellows your snipe is insta-cast. The build below isn't quite there (even if I added a Kismet) but it only takes one team member to also have Tactics and I'm insta on the snipe.

AoE is amazing, which also means that the agro is too. Torrent is an early game lifesaver, taking mobs out of the fight for several seconds, often allowing a (non-instant) snipe to kill nasty Lts. The KB is directional too so it's much easier to throw mobs in the direction you want. Explosive Blast is also very nice but alongside Nova will scatter mobs. That's the reason these 2 powers get the unique KB - KD procs (One overwhelming force, one sudden acceleration). However it may be a while before they are available to you, so be wary of annoying team leaders. Don't worry about the minions, they can't kick you  8)

Energy Secondary

I took the 1st 5 here and didn't bother with any others. Here's why.

The premise behind the build is "death on 2 legs". No farting about with stuns, or mitigation - just damage. Energy Punch and Bone Smasher are quick, high damage melee attacks for anything that gets in your face. You might get lucky with a stun proc, allowing you to back up and use your ranged artillery to deal with them. Melee (for En/En) is not your home. You go there occasionally to visit, but when you're there, you're doing Nova, then GTFO again. Total Focus has great damage, and looks pretty, but it's death with that slow animation. Stun is an utter waste of time as it doesn't kill anything and still leaves you with work to do. Maybe if you're predominantly solo it would work, but in a team situation it's no good. let the controllers do that bit. Power Boost and Boost Range are also total waste of space, but there's space in this build to pick one or both up if you fancy it. I tried Power Boost with Power Thrust for some Hellion pinball in Atlas, but it wasn't as good as a power boosted force bolt. The bubblers win at that game...

Energize is amazing. Just a single recharge IO (in this build) is enough to make it perma. Massively better than the old Conserve Power. Fab.

Ancilliary Powers

Hasten: You need speed. 3 powers for single target ranged, 3 powers for ranged AoE. Having them back faster is awesome and gives you felxibility. Also, getting Energize back fast is really useful. With Hasten on auto though, you need to remember to click it.

Combat Jumping: Mobility, a bit of defence and a LoTG holder for more recharge. Essential

Travel Power: I have both SS & SJ. It's not possible to fit flight into the build which is all I regret (for theme reasons), but SS & SJ together give you great travel speed and also invisibility (with SS & a stealth IO) in missions. I've done several missions where I've got to the boss and been able to nuke the group (aim+bu+nova+ex blast = death. Add judgement for seasoning) without needing to waste time with team members who can't keep up (are you seeing a picture here?)

Leadership: Assault because more damage, Tactics because closer to insta-snipe, and Manoevers for defence and another LoTG unique.

Fighting: Trying to eke as much def in the build as I can meant Fighting was important. I'm standing on 43% def to S&L and Ranged which was my goal (I'll talk about why in a bit) Tough is a great proc holder and Weave gives the def and the LoTG slot.

Mace Mastery: I had to flip villain side for this (much easier on Homecoming!!) because it gets you a +def shield for 1 power pick, and the Ice shield wasn't a thematic fit anyway. I think it took me 20 minutes to do the arc.

Slotting & IOs

This is a cheap build compared to my controller which is why it was finished first. The overall goal is recharge and defence. My primary defence is killing everything before it can return fire, but with almost soft capped defence to smashing & lethal (very common elements to most attacks and a *lot* of melee attacks) as well as ranged (fire bolts and ice things hurled at me will use the highest def which would be range) I have great resilience. A single purple puts me over the soft cap, and one team member with manoevers does it too. It makes a huge difference to survivability.

Mez protection, which is the obvious hole, is provided by Clarion (Incarnate power) and break frees. Overwhelming Force gives me KB protection which is really nice. That may not be your cuppa.

Currently, I'm sitting at 43% def to S&L and Ranged, 50% def to energy and also have a little S&L & Toxic resistance.

The expense, is the 2 (catalyzed) blaster sets (12 x 100 merits), the 2x3%def IOs, and the 2 purples (2 x 100 merits). The LoTGs, & Kinetic Combats weren't so bad. The rest was chump change which I was surprsed about because Mako used to be quite expensive. Overwhelming Force was just a lot of Summer Event runs, which also left me with dupes which I sold (which funded the rest). Don't be tempted with Enhancement Converters to try and fill out your set if you only need 1. Just keep running the event and selling the crap.

I'm really enjoying this build now, and can ride along on Apex/Tin Mage runs and really make a difference. iTrials are (so far) a breeze and with the KB-KD procs, I haven't had a complaint since hitting 50. The only downside is the number of toggles (I think it's 7!) which means an in-battle rez may not get you back in the fight that quick (unless you go "naked") Those Leadership toggles are SLOW.

Hope this was useful! Build below. [Edit to add, there's a 2022 build on page 2 with updated info from the game updates since launch]

Edited by Harlequin565
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Powerbolt: Level 50 Magic Blaster

Primary Power Set: Energy Blast

Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Power Blast

• (A) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage
  • (3) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance
  • (3) Thunderstrike - Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Thunderstrike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (7) Thunderstrike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 1: Power Thrust

• (A) Kinetic Combat - Accuracy/Damage
  • (46) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance
  • (46) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Kinetic Combat - Knockdown Bonus

Level 2: Energy Torrent

• (A) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage
  • (7) Superior Defiant Barrage - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (11) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (11) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (13) Superior Defiant Barrage - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (13) Superior Defiant Barrage - RechargeTime/+Status

Level 4: Energy Punch

• (A) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Mako's Bite - Damage/Endurance
  • (17) Mako's Bite - Damage/Recharge
  • (17) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (19) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (19) Mako's Bite - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 6: Build Up

• (A) Rectified Reticle - To Hit Buff
  • (9) Rectified Reticle - To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • (9) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (50) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 8: Power Burst

• (A) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage
  • (15) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Damage/Recharge
  • (23) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (23) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (25) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (25) Superior Blaster's Wrath - Recharge/Chance for Fire Damage

Level 10: Bone Smasher

• (A) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage
  • (21) Mako's Bite - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (21) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (27) Mako's Bite - Damage/Endurance
  • (29) Mako's Bite - Damage/Recharge
  • (29) Mako's Bite - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge

Level 12: Sniper Blast

• (A) Sting of the Manticore - Accuracy/Damage
  • (27) Sting of the Manticore - Damage/Endurance
  • (31) Sting of the Manticore - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Sting of the Manticore - Accuracy/Interrupt/Range
  • (31) Sting of the Manticore - Damage/Interrupt/Recharge
  • (43) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

Level 14: Aim

• (A) Rectified Reticle - To Hit Buff
  • (34) Rectified Reticle - To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • (34) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16: Energize

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 18: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (34) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (48) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 20: Super Speed

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 22: Combat Jumping

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 24: Maneuvers

• (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance

Level 26: Explosive Blast

• (A) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage
  • (36) Overwhelming Force - Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (37) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Overwhelming Force - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (39) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 28: Kick

• (A) Accuracy IO

Level 30: Tough

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (33) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
  • (39) Unbreakable Guard - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (45) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 32: Nova

• (A) Eradication - Damage
  • (39) Eradication - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Eradication - Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
  • (40) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (42) Sudden Acceleration - Knockback to Knockdown

Level 35: Weave

• (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 38: Scorpion Shield

• (43) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance
  • (43) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 41: Tactics

• (A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff
  • (45) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance
  • (48) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • (48) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance
  • (50) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance
  • (50) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up

Level 44: Assault

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 47: Victory Rush

• (A) Range IO

Level 49: Super Jump

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Celerity - +Stealth

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift

• (A) Run Speed IO

Level 2: Health

• (A) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Hurdle

• (A) Jumping IO

Level 2: Stamina

• (A) Endurance Modification IO
  • (36) Endurance Modification IO

------------

• Like 1

I dig the food for thought.  Thanks for sharing.  My own guy (an Elec/Elec) is coming back into what he was back in the day, but not there yet (just hit 39, got a ways to go).

I don't know if I could talk myself into bailing on the T1 blast.  Given its ability to fire through mez, I value my "Defiance-bait" too much.  :)

Have a good one!

My main since live was, and now is, an Eng/Eng blaster.  Personally, I have not run into many players complaining about the knockback since the game's return.  It might just be that most of the players I team with aren't concerned about it and I'm usually mindful of making sure I don't rocket a mob into another group if there is a debuff on it.  Understanding the strategic use of knockback is key.  I've been thanked quite often for knocking an annoying melee mob away from the defender or knocking a running boss back to where the tank is standing.  I also make sure to not target through the melee player.  Then there is little risk of me sending their personal target across the room.  I'm quite content to just blast everything else in the time it takes them to kill the one they chose for themselves.  And sniping that last mob that is running down the hall is faster than waiting for the tank to realize it is gone, find it, and track it down :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Understanding the strategic use of knockback is key...

This guy gets it.  :D

One of my SG mates uses an En/En as his main, and he is a freaking surgeon with KB exactly along the lines you mention.  Cept when he makes a mess with Nova, but hey, it's Nova.

That reminds me!!!  Does anyone else remember the "Nova Trip" video Impadivus made back in the day?  Damn it's so good to have this stuff back again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Love my En/En blaster.  I took hover early and got used to using it.  I've never gotten a single complaint, 1-49, about my "knockdown". 

Great guide.  They are hard to come by.  I've been using an old archived guide - very outdated, https://web.archive.org/web/20120905035741/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=127248

I certainly didn't take all his advice but it got this noob to 49 and I liked my build... now I think I should respec a few things.  Power Bolt in particular is just a tickle.  I need that slot.  Good call.

I know many don't care for fly.  I had hasten but never used it.  I dumped speed and took the full fly tree minus group.  I'm usually not the first to the mission door but I can point, click R and go grab a snack.  They can't.  And Hover is just crucial.  I don't see how any En/En Blaster lives without it.

My En/En blaster describes my entire interaction with the CoH playerbase in a nutshell.

IMO, knockback and chaos are fun.

To a large number of players, XP/second is the only thing that matters and what I call fun, playing the game, moving around, many call 'work' or a 'grind'.

IMO, En/En blasters, Illusion/Storm controllers, things like these combos are the most fun to be had in the game.

Yet, since XP/second might dip, that AoE might miss a few, whatever, "OMG GTFO" is the attitude I find most of the time.

I am just glad I actually love playing solo or just duoing with RL a friend.

So many people I run into in MMOs just seem like they forgot about fun and only concern themsleves with ROI. IMO.

For some, 'progression=dopamine hit' while for me, just playing a Hero is a good dopamine fix.

• Like 1

I wonder if perhaps something similar to RO, or Green Machine is needed. We need a cool name for "we like chaos, flying bodies and giggling inanely".

My main is En/En, my 2nd main is Fire/Storm (hoping Eldandil pitches up somewhere eventually to do a fresh guide for them, and TMS' Storm Defender guide was pure gold). I want to pair something nice with Force Field that's fun and lets me use Force Bolt. A. Lot.

If I'm on my (boring) Brute or (boring) Tank and I see Storm or Energy in the team, I tell 'em to cut loose.

Xp/sec is really not what this game is about. For me. :)

Tanker- "KB makes me sad"

There was something on the old Market forums about drinking other people's tears. This (and remarks like it) make me think of those quotes.

I don't see how any En/En Blaster lives without it (Hover).

SS/SJ gives me speed and manoeverability. Don't get me wrong - if Homecoming ever decides to mod in more power picks, Hover will be the first one I pick up (actually, it'll be the 2nd, after flight). But I can stealth into the middle of a pack. Aim, BU, Nova (which draws agro on click) then Ex Blast or Judgement depending on circumstance. I was on a DA team today as +3 when they were all +0 and it was a huge grinfest of booming. I was tanking better than the Brute (bless him!)

I think this is a "mentality" in the game that I identify with strongly. However I'm aware that there are lots that don't.

I shall prepare a goblet for their tears.

I think this is a "mentality" in the game that I identify with strongly. However I'm aware that there are lots that don't.

I shall prepare a goblet for their tears.

Yup.

I gave up years ago on Live on even trying to team with people I do not know on KB based characters.

I have seen so much Hate over the years in all forms of games over KB.

It has been my experience that a majoriity of multi-player gamers simply focus on the 'rewards over time' over what I just call 'fun'.

It's not even remotely new, we had these same conversations in the first week of the Live game.

I think I might have just come up with my first Mod idea - Tags on Characters - KB/Speed Runs/Kill All/Etc.

I have been know to out things like 'I love KB and have a ton of it' in my bios as well.

I had this one too leading a mission team as my inv/energy tanker:

Brute (to blaster) - Ease up on the KB and focus on single targets fleeing (or something to that effect)

Me - "Its ok. I'm an energy blaster at heart. KB as much as you want."

Brute - *quit team mid-mission*

That reminds me!!!  Does anyone else remember the "Nova Trip" video Impadivus made back in the day?  Damn it's so good to have this stuff back again!

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

There are knock surgeons and knock idiots er nubs (non-useful bodies). A knock surgeon can make effective use of knocks as a form of crown control, keeping a mob a way from the fighting until the team is prepared to deal with it, knocking down a fleeing mob, or knocking them back toward the tank. A knock nub simply loves to see bodies flying through the air and pays no attention to the effect it has on the overall fight. A mob with a sliver of health left, assuming it doesn't decide to run away, which is a different problem entirely if you have to kill all the mobs, can do just as much damage as a mob with full health. If you are going to knock mobs around willy nilly, make absolutely certain they are dead when they hit the ground or you are more of a detriment to your team than a help.

If I'm a team leader and discover I have a knock idi... nub on the team, I remove them from the team. FAST. It is much less of a headache to simply find a different player to fill the spot.

If I'm not a team leader and discover a knock nub on the team and the team leader doesn't remove them... or worse, they are the team leader, I simply remove myself from the team. Honestly, even soloing is better than dealing with that.

This is not an issue that is peculiar to COH. Any game that has knocks in it has similar problems unless the knocks are severely limited in their size or limited to simply knock downs or ups.

• Sad 2

I have yet to find anyone who can explain to me how to control the KB from Explosive Blast or Nova. There is no surgery to it - that's the whole point. If I have a blaster on my team who is using Torrent as his main AoE and bolt/blast to "precision" strike enemies, he's more likely to get the boot because he's not bringing damage to the table. I'd rather have a defender whose piffling damage will at least come with the benefit of a force multiplying primary. If there's an enemy that needs keeping away from the team because it's dangerous, then it probably has significant resistance to KB. If it's a minion/LT, and the team is scared of it, well...

Nova is up in 40 seconds on my build, which is every 3rd mob, or every other mob with a +recharge buff. Nova + Ex Blast = most stuff dead.

Anyway, the "KB Bureau" has been created. I'm on Excelsior. Perhaps we can get some En/En teams going and get some love for the Knockback. Stormies are welcome too!

I have yet to find anyone who can explain to me how to control the KB from Explosive Blast or Nova. There is no surgery to it - that's the whole point. If I have a blaster on my team who is using Torrent as his main AoE and bolt/blast to "precision" strike enemies, he's more likely to get the boot because he's not bringing damage to the table. I'd rather have a defender whose piffling damage will at least come with the benefit of a force multiplying primary. If there's an enemy that needs keeping away from the team because it's dangerous, then it probably has significant resistance to KB. If it's a minion/LT, and the team is scared of it, well...

Nova is up in 40 seconds on my build, which is every 3rd mob, or every other mob with a +recharge buff. Nova + Ex Blast = most stuff dead.

Anyway, the "KB Bureau" has been created. I'm on Excelsior. Perhaps we can get some En/En teams going and get some love for the Knockback. Stormies are welcome too!

I might have to roll another blaster on excelsior...

If I played on Excelsior, I'd join the KB Bureau - I love KB - it's fun and keeps bad guys out of range...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I have yet to find anyone who can explain to me how to control the KB from Explosive Blast or Nova.

Two ways, one of which is slightly harder with Nova due to a lack of range on it.

1) Knockback is always away from the emitter, so if you're above them, you're throwing them at the ground. If they're going into some corner, they're being piled up. Fly or at least make use of the terrain. Dirt-easy on single target, moderately easy to control with E.Torrent and Ex.Blast, but you're still gonna scatter things if you catch a group in your nova due to proximity and 'firing' angle.

2) KB to KD. An instantaneous solution for your nuke, and removes any and all thought from the equation. They now stay where they are

DO NOT apply #2 to single target abilities unless you're really desperate to not have to think about your aim, because throwing something halfway across the room instead of right here on its ass is a massive drop in how helpful knockback is to your defenses. A well placed power-push can toss a boss out of the fight long enough to kill the rest of its buddies. A power-pushed rad-anchor will get you kicked.

2) KB to KD. An instantaneous solution for your nuke, and removes any and all thought from the equation. They now stay where they are

Why would anyone want to remove the KB from nova???

Serious though, I would never remove KB from mine.  Nova is my favorite power in the game (even though the shorter recharge and no endo drop sort of cheapens it for me a little).  Dealing massive damage and "arresting" all the minions and (usually) all the lieutenants as they fly in all directions.  All the team now has to do is focus on bosses.

As far as missing the -recov and long recharge, I liked having to tell the team, "nova is up" so they would know I was going in.  Aim, Build up, run in, NOVA, eat all my blues, total focus a boss, then start blasting.  Now, especially teamed with a kinetics, it almost feels like part of the attack chain, rater than something special.