Bad objective spawn locations

GM Impervium

• Lead Game Master

Please use this thread to report instances where a glowie has spawned inside of terrain. Please provide as much information as possible, especially screenshots and a /loc.

Note for Players: You won't have access to the map name, so always try to get GM assistance with these so we can do so, as well as complete the mission for you 😃 However, if it's a non-random map that always occurs in a specific instance (like in most TFs or story arcs), then that will suffice. However, "A Council radio in PI, it was in the sewers" probably won't narrow it down!

EDIT: Scratch that, you can use the command /where_am_i to get the mapname. Thanks, @GraspingVileTerror! But still, send in a ticket if you need help completing the mission!

Example:

Map: maps/Missions/V_Arachnoid_Cave/V_Arachnoid_Cave_30/V_Arachnoid_Cave_30_Layout_05.txt (Small Arachnoid map #5 in AE)

Loc: [779.1 19.4 -693.8] (inside of a giant rock)

screenshot_210606-22-58-04.thumb.jpg.1def20ae010feed38382b7226824b44a.jpg

Edited by GM Impervium
  • Thanks 3

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

To what extent do you mean "inside terrain"?  Do you mean instances where the objective is simply clipping into a wall/floor/whatever, or do you want cases where the objective is somehow so far into the terrain it's unclickable?  I assume the latter is requested, but is the former worth calling out, because I know a bunch of bad glowie spawns that don't line up with the floors, especially in caves where they spawn on uneven ground.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

8 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

To what extent do you mean "inside terrain"? 

I would expect that it's any case where an object is spawning partially or completely inside terrain, so that it becomes difficult or impossible to interact with it. For example, during a Rikti invasion in Kings Row, the dropships running north along the west side of the zone regularly drop a bomb in the brownstone area about 2/3 of the way up the path (I'll have to go there and get coordinates if there's no convenient invasion event) that lands inside the steps leading up to a door, and only the antenna is visible sticking up out of the steps; the bomb itself is untargetable.

It was a problem a group I was running with ran into. The object spawned inside a rock and we were unable to get it. Thanks to @GM Impervium we were able to complete the mission. Again Thanks for the assistance it was much appreciated. -Project: Chompers

Edited by Dimmithon

• Lead Game Master
On 6/7/2021 at 12:05 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

To what extent do you mean "inside terrain"?  Do you mean instances where the objective is simply clipping into a wall/floor/whatever, or do you want cases where the objective is somehow so far into the terrain it's unclickable?  I assume the latter is requested, but is the former worth calling out, because I know a bunch of bad glowie spawns that don't line up with the floors, especially in caves where they spawn on uneven ground.

While we would want to prioritize objects that are completely enclosed in terrain so that they are unclickable, anything that's more than, say, 50% in the terrain would be fair game for checking out.

The issue is that maps don't have objects baked into them, they have object spawn points (something I'm sure anyone who's messed around with making missions in AE can attest). So a "stick of dynamite" object would look fine in a certain spot, but a desk, being much larger, might clip partially through the terrain, so that's probably something we'd want to look at, though it would be a lower-priority fix than something that's completely hidden by say, a rock or a set of stairs.

Edited by GM Impervium
grammar
  • Thanks 2

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

The example I cited above -- at  [696.3 -42.0 -347.5] in King's Row, during Rikti invasions, a bomb will land inside the staircase leading up to the building, with only the antenna poking out. This bomb is untargetable, but when it goes off, it will damage characters standing nearby:

bomb.png.92f5d493b5a3f0e41e50785e888577ba.png

• 7 months later
  • 1 month later

Stasis tube can be destroyed, but it permanently blocks the doorway whether destroyed or not, and prevents mission completion.

Mission: "Stop Crey Arachnoid research" in the story arc "Building a Better Vermin" from Terrence Dobbs in Grandville

Map: Tech_60_Layout_03_02

Approx coords: 2426 0 89

Edit: on my 5th mission reset, the tube spawned far enough from the door to complete

objective-blocks-door.jpeg

Edited by Kai Moon

• 4 months later

Inside the 4th mission of the Vincent Ross Arc 'Old Friends, New Enemies and New Opportunities'. The clickable 'Coralax Artifact' objective from Vince Dubrowski's side mission is suspended in air above the 6 portals room, before the Demon Botis. Hope this helps.

image.thumb.png.cc79b60dd91cf9f19e0c3ff92ced86df.png

• 2 months later
  • 1 month later
16 minutes ago, GM Impervium said:

Slightly different: An objective straight up NOT APPEARING.

Lab of Dr. Vhazilok, sewer mission. The desk no longer spawns in the corner. Or anywhere. Softlocks the mission.

image.png

IIRC, there was a bug report earlier stating that the desk does appear, but somehow is quickly destroyed, making the mission impossible to complete.

• Lead Game Master

Mission: Defeat the robots to recover whatever they found (Trilogy mission 7/9)
Map: IOM_FARM_LAND_DESTROYED
Problem: The final mob spawns WELL outside the playable area, at coordinates [1120.7 2.2 46.7]

image.png

GM Impervium

• 1 month later
  • 2 months later
On 3/26/2022 at 11:34 PM, Kai Moon said:

Stasis tube can be destroyed, but it permanently blocks the doorway whether destroyed or not, and prevents mission completion.

Mission: "Stop Crey Arachnoid research" in the story arc "Building a Better Vermin" from Terrence Dobbs in Grandville

Map: Tech_60_Layout_03_02

Approx coords: 2426 0 89

Edit: on my 5th mission reset, the tube spawned far enough from the door to complete

objective-blocks-door.jpeg

Still a thing. 2 resets so far and no dice.

• 1 month later
  • Lead Game Master

Was made informed of a glowie that doesn't... glow.

Mission: Epochs personal storage
Map: maps/Missions/Warehouse/Warehouse_30/Warehouse_30_Layout_03_02.txt

They had already left the mission before I could respond to the ticket, so no further info available.

GM Impervium

• 4 months later
  • 1 month later
  • 4 months later
  • 1 month later

Found this in "Shut down Crey Lab for good" from Gordon Stacy, last mission of the Revenant Hero Project arc.  Not inaccessible but it seems the crate is only a couple centimeters taller than the floor it spawned in.

Crate in Floor.JPG

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

• 4 weeks later

The Manticore Mansion from Twinshot Arc lacks terminal in the council room in MANTICORE_MANSION at -219, -60, 411

CoH-Homecoming-01.thumb.jpg.c49d0eefc8becbd06a7f1f036e471829.jpg

Both Proton Tests and Manticore Database missions are lacking the terminal at the indicated spot.

Didn't find any other interactive object elsewhere in case it was simply a misplaced waypoint.

Edit: I found that player is expected to open the library wall. I was looking for a clickable terminal.

Edited by kridenow