Tasteless Names

9 minutes ago, arcane said:

Idk. If there’s one thing that offends me it’s the perpetually offended.

Above the perpetually offensive? I don't care for either but I'll take someone who stomps off in a huff over someone wearing a dick on their forehead... especially the latter when they're out to 'prove' something. Being an asshole about what you believe is obnoxious from any direction.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

15 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Did one of the other servers, such as, say, the one associated with 4chan, shut down recently or something?  I've been away a few days and when I was playing tonight over the course of about 3 I saw a handful of tasteless names that I'm not going to bother repeating (and no, I'm no prude).  Seem to recall I've seen one or two recently in the last week or so as well, so this would also be a really good time to ask how do I drop a dime for the mods to take a look.

That was where we started this thread.

It was a honest question, not a challenge to anyone in particular. He asked how to report what he felt were Offensive Characters. When the game was in it's original incarnation this sort of thing got sorted out without a lot of player involvement because the Paid staff was such that they were actively looking at such things. If there was a violation of the game's policy, and remember it was rated TEEN, they really didn't spend a lot of time fretting about what to do, they acted. We are not in that situation anymore. We expect a lot out of a small staff that has a lot better things to do with their time than remind people that they aren't 12 anymore.

To my estimation the majority of the Original Players from Live were between 12 and 25 during the early years, that makes them now between 28 and 41, at least. They should know better. I started in 2004 at 40, and am now 57, and am not above an Occasional Off color Joke, but if called out on it, I probably knew better, I just needed reminded. 

We are a VERY self Policed Community, and need to keep it where people can bring there kids here and not be nervous about them seeing something inappropriate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Sigh, things can be situational.  If you think it breaks the CoC then lodge a ticket about it and move on. GMs will decide on the actual nuance of the possible offence, everything else is just waffle in the end. "Are you offended?" "Yes!" "I'm not though!" and there we go on ad infinitum.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Is this thread a bunch of people skirting around the subject of "Cancel Culture?"  Or is it just a huge misunderstanding between people who think someone is complaining about a "poopy" character name, when that person is more likely expressing frustration at something which has the potential to cause harm?

People have been offended about things for millennia, not just the last five years.

If someone finds that the things they personally enjoy are now considered offensive, that probably has more to do with the opportunity to be exposed to a greater level of cultural and historic understanding that the internet affords everyone.

People are entitled to being offended.

In this forum, people are permitted to express themselves, up to a (sometimes arbitrary) point.

People can also complain about other people being offended . . . but . . . uh, what's the point of that?

I mean . . . what if that advice about rolling your eyes and just walking away was also applied to the people offended by other people being offended?  What would -that- look like?

We may never know.

• Like 3

Generic package

The big generic

Kicked in the generic

Hit me with your generic stick

Gen Eric

Jen Air Wreck

Consentual generic

Me So Generic

There you go. A whole bunch of names to use for toon' makin' offense creatin' debouchery.

16 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Did one of the other servers, such as, say, the one associated with 4chan, shut down recently or something?  I've been away a few days and when I was playing tonight over the course of about 3 I saw a handful of tasteless names that I'm not going to bother repeating (and no, I'm no prude).  Seem to recall I've seen one or two recently in the last week or so as well, so this would also be a really good time to ask how do I drop a dime for the mods to take a look.

Short answer is report them and let the GMs handle it.  Long answer is that I can't gauge what you deem "tasteless", so I cannot speak specifically.  If I saw someone running around with a character whose name included a racial epithet or some "clever" attempt at one using leet speak or such, then I'd report them.  If they were merely edgy or "in poor taste", then I'd probably just ignore them...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

People have been offended about things for millennia, not just the last five years.

True, but it's only in recent years that the "cry-bullies" have really gone after anyone and everyone that anything that they deemed offensive. Also, their version of what's offensive has become more and more ridiculous over the last 10 years. Then, to top it off, they make sure to post publicly about it, so that everyone knows that they are part of the "in crowd" of people who get offended by everything.

In short, it's far more about virtue signaling than it is about having a valid complaint about actual offensive words or actions.

And we all know where this ride ends. It ends with everyone walking on eggshells, too concerned about being banned to post on the forums or talk with anyone in in-game chat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

28 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

True, but it's only in recent years that the "cry-bullies" have really gone after anyone and everyone that anything that they deemed offensive. Also, their version of what's offensive has become more and more ridiculous over the last 10 years. Then, to top it off, they make sure to post publicly about it, so that everyone knows that they are part of the "in crowd" of people who get offended by everything.

In short, it's far more about virtue signaling than it is about having a valid complaint about actual offensive words or actions.

And we all know where this ride ends. It ends with everyone walking on eggshells, too concerned about being banned to post on the forums or talk with anyone in in-game chat.

This is getting way off topic from the original point of "I see these names that probably shouldn't be in game; how do I report them?"

The OP's post is not deserving of the level of vilification going on in this thread (or any level, for that matter).

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Completely concur. Let's not drag the world's troubles, real and imagined, in here.

Players should use some judgment and have some tolerance, but truly offensive player material — names, bios, posts — should be reported to the GMs and then ignored.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Im ganna hold back until some actual names are named.  Right now everyone is snipping at the wind and reciting server rules bordering along the alignment Lawful Evil.  But after reading this thread high chance its going to get locked.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

• Lead Game Master

Man, why do all the "fun" threads explode when I'm at work?

Anyway, as others have stated, if you ever see anything questionable: Costume, Name, Bio, chat, etc. Just report it to us with as much info as you can, and we'll sort it out. Thanks!

Also, it's getting a bit heated in here, so...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!