Tasteless Names

Did one of the other servers, such as, say, the one associated with 4chan, shut down recently or something?  I've been away a few days and when I was playing tonight over the course of about 3 I saw a handful of tasteless names that I'm not going to bother repeating (and no, I'm no prude).  Seem to recall I've seen one or two recently in the last week or so as well, so this would also be a really good time to ask how do I drop a dime for the mods to take a look.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

There's a reason I've never looked into the 4chan server: because I know the sort of chatter a 4chan server would have.  We don't need that here.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

49 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Did one of the other servers, such as, say, the one associated with 4chan, shut down recently or something?  I've been away a few days and when I was playing tonight over the course of about 3 I saw a handful of tasteless names that I'm not going to bother repeating (and no, I'm no prude).  Seem to recall I've seen one or two recently in the last week or so as well, so this would also be a really good time to ask how do I drop a dime for the mods to take a look.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/support/

• Thanks 1

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

6 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

In game, click on "Menu," go to "Support," and file a ticket - note the character's local name and global name in your report.  You can get the global name by typing "/getglobalname LocalName" (insert the local name in place of "LocalName").

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Fun is one thing. Shoving your unwiped bum in every other player's face is another.

This is how I feel about people with puns in their names.  Please generic them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But that would free up the name for someone else to use!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

8 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Fun is one thing. Shoving your unwiped bum in every other player's face is another.

You prefer wiped bums?

seriously though i also prefer gamers who are not trying to rankle my tender sensibilities (pro tip: there is a 99.99% chance you cannot do it.  If you can seek help immediately)

i also prefer gamers who do not run Posi and Synapse at +anything.  I do not like gamers who run Khans at +4 without stating  so in the LFG ad.  There are many ways for a gamer to earn my derision. 

But yes, i have seen a *slight up tick in character names in poor taste recently.  I played on Freedom and I have played WoW. Some in my own SG dance with innuendo in their naming conventions.  It is usually artistic rather than bawdy but some efforts are doomed to failure from the start

keep in mind most of the cut scenes from the incarnate trials are endless T&A. This is not exactly a completely innocent platform 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Pzn said:

Well, there goes my dream of running my Sonic/Storm, Opera WIndfury.

• Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

8 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

why don't you just let them have fun?

True - 12-year olds are people, too darnit!:-)

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

To play armchair philosopher a moment, posts like these always wonder how much of it is perusing the "spirit" of a healthy game environment, and how much of it is simply trying to eradicate or remove that which you don't personally support or agree with in an attempt to control it. There is a line in there somewhere to be certain, and I feel not I nor others not on HC staff can make that distinction.

I would urge the OP to use the tools that already exist and are provided to everyone. If you see a name you find questionable, submit a ticket, and those in such positions will look into it. However, you may not always agree with their decision. One name you feel slighted by, another might see harmless. And that "another" just might be a staff member.

Personally, I go by live and let live. I do my own thing, and allow people to do theirs. Even if its something I find distasteful or unenjoyable. I don't have to take part, or even support it. No one is "forcing" anyone to play with anyone else. But I don't particularly support policing other people's own personal enjoyment either. 

Just my thoughts about it.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Snarky said:

seriously though i also prefer gamers who are not trying to rankle my tender sensibilities (pro tip: there is a 99.99% chance you cannot do it.  If you can seek help immediately)

Challenge accepted. You my good sir/madam/other are a stinky fartfaced doodoo head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It is possible to do rude but classy. I was on a Hami raid with "Sybian Ryder" who had a completely innocent bio. Had to give 'em props.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

So no playing Suppositron then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, Pzn said:

I can't shake the feeling that this is directed at me.,

• Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

10 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

why don't you just let them have fun?

Because the place we all play has rules.  I choose to help enforce them.

You do as you see fit and I won't judge you about it.

• Like 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

12 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Because the place we all play has rules.  I choose to help enforce them.

You do as you see fit and I won't judge you about it.

We have no indication at this point that any rules were broken.