Flying V Industries

TraumaTrain

Is there any actual lore associated with this company? Like, in the wiki or anything?

spacer.png

They have a large plant on the north side of Mercy Island. Part of the plant are the cesspools that I believed "the infected" were coming from. The descriptions of the Infected mention they're drinking from the cesspools. In the pools is the exploration badge Cesspool.

Cesspool: "Many would-be villains have drunk their fill from the cesspool in hopes it might grant super power. Mostly they go insane."

Stricken: "It doesn't take long for the cesspool water to have an effect. These petty thugs have been drinking from it for only a few days, but already the change in their appearance is apparent."

Blighted: "Blighted have been subsisting on cesspool water for many weeks now, and the changes they have undergone are far greater than skin deep. They no longer desire any nourishment other than that they take from the cesspool. Their old friends and dreams are entirely forgotten as they slip deeper into their irradiated daze."

Devolved: "Most people on Mercy agree: the Devolved no longer qualify as human. After months of consuming nothing but cesspoll water, they have become tireless, witless, and wickedly strong. It would be fair to call them more zombie than man.

I believed the Infected were coming from the cesspools in Flying V's plant (and they likely still are), but then both Doctor Weber and Doctor Creed have missions and dialog that indicate a Doctor Geist is experimenting on or creating arachnoids and the waste of his research is being dumped into the cesspools., and it is this mixture that is creating the Infected. So maybe Flying V is not involved in that. On the other hand, on Flying V's back docks are a large number of Arachnos branded shipping containers - the kind you find cluttered about the corridors of many Arachnos bases.

I'd like to know more about Flying V Industries, which may or may not be attached to the Infected and arachnoids. And may or may not be a subsidiary or contractor for Arachnos.

• Like 3

Gotta wonder why people would drink from the cesspool to begin with, unless there's a lack of clean water on Mercy island. Maybe it's a gang of desperate thugs with some kind of initiation ritual that make new members drink from the pools "to gain superpowers". Those who drink more often might gain power within the gang. Until they eventually succumb to the effect of the waters.

Pure speculation but maybe the factories are responsible for some kind of food production, and the downtrodden believe the cesspools hold some nutrition.

Could also be some kind of addictive substances in the water.

It's apparently irradiated too. Could it be coolant from a reactor that is flushed out into these pools?

Or maybe this is where Arachnos creates a synthetic form of water from the Well of Furies that is supposedly used to create the Arachnoids in Project Fury. That would mesh well with Doctor Geist's experiments, and the Arachnos shipping containers. Mercy Island is also the hiding place for another Incarnate, Stheno, the Gorgon, progenitor of the Snakes. Maybe they have found a way to tap into her well-hidden deep underground lair somehow, or the Earth magic she supposedly knows, in order to synthesize the Well water.

The logo is a pegasus. Pegasus was supposedly created from the blood of Medusa after Perseus cut off her head. Medusa was another gorgon.

Is this why Arachnos have a bounty on snakes, but don't try to eradicate them completely, so they can use their blood/DNA/essential salts/venom to create synthetic Well water???

Edited by Take One
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

1 hour ago, Take One said:

Or maybe this is where Arachnos creates a synthetic form of water from the Well of Furies that is supposedly used to create the Arachnoids in Project Fury.

You're incredibly close. Mercy Island hosted the second iteration of project FURY after Warburg was taken over. It might still be there in some capacity, but it's now mostly in Grandville. The cesspool is indeed venom from arachnoids, so there's some residue of Recluse's blood still mixed in.

No idea what Flying V Industries might be, however. An Arachnos subcontractor is a solid guess. Or maybe they moved into a vacant Project FURY lab.

I certainly like the Pegasus/Gorgon connection, that's fun!

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A @Lines!  Haven't seen the likes of you around these parts for many a moon.

This loops back in to a project I have on a backburner of a backstove:  

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21630-chris-jenkins-and-capn-kraken/?tab=comments#comment-249499

(And to a lesser degree:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/13797-the-great-gazebo-hunt-2020/ )

The real challenging part of a project like this will be to trawl through all the mission dialogue for each reference of these companies, and establish which ones are umbrella'd under which other corporations, and which are fronts for which villain groups or Manticore, et cetera.

At the very least, it's the kind of information that would help future developers maintain lore consistency.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Take One said:

The logo is a pegasus. Pegasus was supposedly created from the blood of Medusa after Perseus cut off her head. Medusa was another gorgon.

Thank you! In my mind, I was trying to connect the Pegasus logo. I was tired and ready for bed, though, so I could only think about arachnoids.

Pegasus was born of Medusa's blood. Medusa was a gorgon. Stheno is a gorgon. Certainly a potential connection of Flying V to the snakes.

Maybe something else to consider: outside the plant are a bunch of Infected and snakes, but on the structure itself are a contingent of Legacy Chain guards. Are they working with Flying V, or against Flying V? 

4 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

A new thought: the logo and V could refer to Valkyrie. So, maybe not a Greek mythology connection but more an in-game hero connection.

Anything is possible but winged horses aren't very "nordic", and Valkyrie isn't known for having any interest in any kind of industry. Or any other interests. At all. Well, maybe she has hobbies we didn't know about and for some reason decided that the Rogue Isles was the perfect place for her nanite factory, and the spill-water is somehow laced with arachnoid-juice and turns people into weird radioactive zombies. Maybe. It would certainly make Valkyrie a more interesting character!

• Haha 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Well, valkyrie (the peoples) _definitely_ rode horses, which may have flown-ish, but not with wings. Just regular old horses that are not your normal horses. (just read the wikipedia article on them)

Flying V Industries was named after a famous racehorse of the 1930s and 40s, Flying V. Not of the caliber of War Admiral or Seabiscuit, nevertheless regionally famous.*

Spoiler

Of course I made that up, but who knows?

Edited by Darmian
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )