Not-end-game

UltraAlt

So I still pop into DCUO for probably less than a 1/2 hour most days.

They had a new announcement about upcoming changes so I took some time to look at it.

I wouldn't generally post about it here, but wanted to bring up their term "not-end-game".

As any you that have played DCUO know, the game is extremely end-game focused. So lopsided to the end-game is DCUO that they let, players that haven't completed the original game (up to level 30) into the newest end-game content at like level 10 or something (max-end-game level is over 250 at this point).

All their tacked on end-game content (like 40 or so end-game tack-ons at this point) had their own in-game currency until a couple of months back. Of course this caused so much of a problem with tracking and what not, they decided to change all but the latest 3 end-game episodes so that they can use an universal currency (source marks) and all currency that was achieved in that older content could be converted into the universal currency for use for purchase in all that older content.

Apparently, the DCUO DEVs came to the point that they don't want to use the term "older content" for the end-game content (above level 30) that wasn't one of the last three end-game updates.

So they have the newest end-game episode that is open to all that have a a base level usually around 10 with leveling adjustments to all characters - no term for this.

The two most recent end-game content episodes before that which require you to have a base level/combat rating to enter/be a part of/engage with (basically locks out non-end characters) - no term for this.

And any content that isn't one of those two types of end-game content (that was created as end-game content), they have deemed to call "not-end-game" content.

Just seems weird.

Basically the DCUO DEVs are retconning the game.

But "not-end-game"?

I have never heard of the term "not-end-game" content before. I thought it was kind of funny caling what was put into the game as end-game content "not-end-game" content as it wasn't recent endgame content.

Maybe that is a term other games have used before. 

Has it?

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Adding nothing of substance to the point here; just noting that, as many on this site have likely done, back in the days when Homecoming was naught but a dream, I too tried out DCUO after it went free-to-play.  I never got any further than designing a character.  I won't go into what aspects - and there were many - served as a turn-off for the game's premise, but one thing stood out above all: You had to pick Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman as a mentor.  Like those individuals wouldn't have anything better to do with their days.

The game-specific points that you've brought up here, UltraAlt, come across for me as little more than in-game colloquialisms, but overall it seems to indicate a game that seems more determined to rank itself as a game about a story than a game in itself.  While I wish the DCUO players, Mods and Devs all the best in moving the game forward, what you've listed here points out, just as strongly as anything else I've heard or read, that I made the right decision in deciding to delete it from the hard-drive and just keep buying DC's comics.

Thank you for having taken the time to indicate what's happening in another game's backyard, and give us yet more reasons to thank the entire Homecoming team for allowing us back into Paragon City.

• Thanks 1

but one thing stood out above all: You had to pick Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman as a mentor.  Like those individuals wouldn't have anything better to do with their days.

Kind of what turned me off about red side in this game...  Everyone is under Recluse's thumb, and near the end you have to pick one of his henchman to be your "mentor".

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, krj12 said:

Kind of what turned me off about red side in this game...  Everyone is under Recluse's thumb, and near the end you have to pick one of his henchman to be your "mentor".

Yes but you grow outside of that to betray them and finally kill Recluse by serving up his head.

He recognizes you as equal and then you surpass him as an Incarnate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

5 hours ago, Black Talon said:

Thank you for having taken the time to indicate what's happening in another game's backyard, and give us yet more reasons to thank the entire Homecoming team for allowing us back into Paragon City.

I too love the City, and I'm really happy with Homecoming.

There is a lot of window-dressing in my post which was mainly set-up, but the main point is that "not-end-game" term.

It was just so weird of a term to use that I had to share it with someone that might understand where I was coming from.

I was hoping someone would here and could relate.

I was never a big fan of DCUO. It was just something to get my gaming super-hero on until something better came along and mainly because I was already subscribing to Sony Online Entertainment for Planteside 2 and that gave me full membership to DCUO as well (as Everquest, Everquest 2, and Dragon's Prophet at the time).

• Thumbs Up 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I have never heard of the term "not-end-game" content before. I thought it was kind of funny caling what was put into the game as end-game content "not-end-game" content as it wasn't recent endgame content.

Maybe that is a term other games have used before. 

Has it?

edited to save a ton of reading that means nothing from the orinal post

response: you have not heard "not end game" before?   okay.... it means stuff that happens before characters max out the level in a video game environment.  glad to help.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

Yes but you grow outside of that to betray them and finally kill Recluse by serving up his head.

He recognizes you as equal and then you surpass him as an Incarnate.

Literally everyone forgets this part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I remember leaving DCUO during beta. The customization was so barebones to the point you can't make a backstory to your character as the game just gives you one, and what was up with needing both powers and a weapon? You couldn't make a character like Superman or Batman despite having a button in the creator to just make a ripoff of established characters.

Brief experience with it, but the idea of "It's always night in Gotham and always day in Metropolis" thing sticks with me.

Cute reflection of the comics.

OTOH, it seems it's always gloomy in the Rogue Isles, and that doesn't add to my fun.

Go figure.

• Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 7/8/2021 at 5:28 PM, Beef Ninja said:

You couldn't make a character like Superman or Batman despite having a button in the creator to just make a ripoff of established characters.

well, this all kind of when Rogue so I'll chime in on this.

yeah. When playing DCUO, you can become a member of the Suicide Squad (in instances that you are on a mixed team of heroes and villains), JLA, (and I can't remember for sure , but the Legion of Doom - probably).

All powers are "like" those of other DC Heroes, but really aren't.

You can have hard light powers, but you aren't and never can be a Green Lantern.

You can't be a Kryptonian.

Etc.

You aren't a meta, you're just infested with exo-bytes or whatever that were stolen for the "real" heroes and villains in the future.

DCUO always refers to you as male and pink-skinned if I remember properly.