Paladin dead. No badge

Snarky

Saw a post in LFG.  Paladin up in KR.  I heard there was some kind of Paladin Fix done

i headed through SG base. No KR 2 up.  Curious i zoned.  We found Paladin. We killed Paladin. Merits no badge.  Interesting fix.  Is the badge now unavailable?

The Paladin itself does not grant the badge following the reversion to the original event.  In order to get the badge, you have to stop it from being built.  There will be a message in the Hero Events tab that states "Unusual Clockwork activity detected in King's Row" when construction starts.  Find the construction site at one of three locations along the south and east side and fight off the waves of Clockwork for about 10 minutes without allowing the construction to reach full health.  After the 10 minutes, finish off the construction for the badge.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 6

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

A bit of history -- there are/were two different Paladin events. The one currently active is the original one where, as ZorkNemesis describes, the goal is to prevent the construction of the Paladin. This was replaced by the event that spawned the Paladin in northern Kings Row with the twelve Psionic Brass Conduits and the Shining Stars being held hostage by Clockwork. Unfortunately, the new version of the event was bugged, and would only kick off once each time the zone was reset (or a new instance of the zone was spawned). The HC staff tried various solutions, such as lowering the zone limit for Kings Row to make it spawn a second instance more often, and by manually spawning a second instance of Kings Row if asked politely. Unfortunately, neither worked well, and without a serious dive into the code and database to find out why the event wouldn't respawn, the problem wasn't going to go away. Because the old version of the event was known to be working reliably, they swapped the new version of the event for the old one.

There was one change, though; if I'm remembering correctly, the completed Paladin would only award XP, so the players would be generally unwilling to put in the time to whack the Paladin if it got built. This resulted in the accumulation of Paladins in the park behind the building that the Shining Stars were held captive in front of in the new version of the event, to a limit of three, at which point no more constructions would occur, and they'd hang out in the park for days until the zone reset. Making the completed Paladin give the same merit reward as the other GMs gives enough incentive that people will clean up the wandering Paladins before they become too much of a nuisance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Back on live, I used to get my main inv tank and taunt the completed Paladin up to the North Wall, to be erased by the Police Drone at the Gate to Galaxy City. That gate is now gone, as are the Police Drones. There ends my community service.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

I am not much for killing GMs except for badges. But they are easy merits.  I may start checking KR and see if there are 2-3+ at any regular times.  Then form a team and clean. I need me some converters for my farmer lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KC4800 said:

Back on live, I used to get my main inv tank and taunt the completed Paladin up to the North Wall, to be erased by the Police Drone at the Gate to Galaxy City. That gate is now gone, as are the Police Drones. There ends my community service.

The closest drones now are at the AE building, which is near the center of the zone. It's not too much trouble to drag one or more Paladins down there to be zapped.

The HC wiki page for the current incarnation of the Paladin event is up to date if anyone needs more specific info: https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Paladin_Construction

• Thanks 1

I think they should give the small Galaxy Girl statue Laser Beam Eyes so she can eliminate Paladins for us. One shot, like a police drone used to.

• Haha 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

I am not much for killing GMs except for badges. But they are easy merits.  I may start checking KR and see if there are 2-3+ at any regular times.  Then form a team and clean. I need me some converters for my farmer lol.

It may be worth noting, too, that at least in the old scene (not sure if HC has changed this), Paladins do not despawn, and construction of a new one will not begin if there are already 3 in the zone.  So if you want to get the badge, it's still highly recommended to gather teams to defeat any Paladin(s) you see, as you might not get an opportunity for the badge while KR is overcrowded with them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The closest drones now are at the AE building, which is near the center of the zone. It's not too much trouble to drag one or more Paladins down there to be zapped.

It's been reported that one of the completed Paladins will actually path past that building.  If the drones don't catch too many of the small fries following it it tends to drone itself on occasion.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

16 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

It's been reported that one of the completed Paladins will actually path past that building.

14 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

If no one is there to witness the Paladin drone itself, is it immune to the Drones?

The thread linked below addresses both of these.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/29414-paladin-drones-himself-in-kings-row