What about a Redside week... month... whatever?

Let me try an illustration:

image.png.f5307e9d2abd4e1da1701d46fda1714c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

In an earlier thread adjacent to this topic, I made a (badly worded) argument that the number of players who didn't want to play a villain or evil character was statistically significant.  While I still think that's true, I think other factors play a larger role, familiarity with Blue side perhaps biggest of all.   When I hear Red side advertising a weekly Strike Force, I'm usually hesitant because of unfamiliarity.  Having a 'Red Side Weekend' with increased rewards and/or contests sounds ok to me, but even better would be a Strike Force team that goes a little slower and shows people around.  It might even get me to play another character Red side.  

2 hours ago, Take One said:

Obviously not familiar with the "timetable" paradox, nor with illustrations that fail to give weight to the values involved. Allow me to post a counter-illustration:

image.png.94e0f81bdc278119dc5fa3acd939addf.png

🙂

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Your data might have been relevant if that was what my diagram referred to. Obviously my diagram wasn't showing the number of players at any one time, but rather the amount of overlap in the population. A few play only heroes, a few play only villains, but I'm fairly sure the majority plays both sides at different times. What we're trying to do with this thread is to come up with reasons for people to play red-side more often.

• Thumbs Down 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

10 hours ago, Hew said:

Excelsior redside team lfm, zero takers. 🙂 418 am EST

Interestingly, after some patience and starting the mishs with just 2, we managed to maintain a steady 7 people on team. Never hit 8, but we did all of part 2 of mr g except the very last vanguard mish.

That evil penny mish is crazy. All the crazy psi people do crazy bad things. KILL THE SUBJUGATORS! Very important!

11/10 experience!

Redside is best side

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Take One said:

Your data might have been relevant if that was what my diagram referred to. Obviously my diagram wasn't showing the number of players at any one time, but rather the amount of overlap in the population. A few play only heroes, a few play only villains, but I'm fairly sure the majority plays both sides at different times. What we're trying to do with this thread is to come up with reasons for people to play red-side more often.

It wasn't worth drawing up my own Venn-o-matic. That, say, 90% of the population might have tried redside and that some steeply declining curve plays a villain on any continuing basis isn't really in question, but your diagram only represents that first statement.

My suggestion from the OP, which has been interpreted and argued about six different ways, is simple: "Hey! Let's all go play redside for a while! Bring your buds!"

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 7/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Shenanigunner said:

It wasn't worth drawing up my own Venn-o-matic. That, say, 90% of the population might have tried redside and that some steeply declining curve plays a villain on any continuing basis isn't really in question, but your diagram only represents that first statement.

My suggestion from the OP, which has been interpreted and argued about six different ways, is simple: "Hey! Let's all go play redside for a while! Bring your buds!"

No thanks. I'm having fun on blueside. 🙂

But you guys have fun over there.

• Like 1

Starting this Sunday (July 25th), I will be running Something Wicked Sundays on Indomitable (where 98% of my characters are). My plan is to have some red side stuff going on Sundays. Check out my thread in the Indom forums if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TraumaTrain said:

Starting this Sunday (July 25th), I will be running Something Wicked Sundays on Indomitable (where 98% of my characters are). My plan is to have some red side stuff going on Sundays. Check out my thread in the Indom forums if you're interested.

A more populated server might net you a better turn out.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I love me some Redside.  But it is hard out there for a villain.  

Try to organize a Redside Strike Force.  There will be interest, but it takes a while. But then try to organize a Posi 1 or a Synapse.  Yeah, turning people away.  

Redside DFB.  Same.

Redside Drowning in Blood.  You can just about forget this unless you got a LOT of online friends you can arm twist.  It ain't happening unless the stars align.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:43 AM, Take One said:

fail.

Yeah. You can say that I "play villains" as well and put me on a chart that looks like that.

However, that is not a true picture of in-game time or true assessment of the villain or hero player base.

I play villains less than ... I'm guessing realistically heading on 1% of my game time. Less than 4% of my characters are villains.

Your chart doesn't take that into consideration.

Your chart warps what is going on in order to prove your point rather than looking at what is going on realistically.

How very villainous of you.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, Shenanigunner said:

"Let's all ..." is my main issue.

I shouldn't get involved with these threads anyway. I'll try not to do so in the future.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

17 hours ago, TraumaTrain said:

I challenge you to run some red on your server too!

Won't be me, but I hope someone who cares does.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

13 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

"Let's all ..." is my main issue.

I shouldn't get involved with these threads anyway. I'll try not to do so in the future.

Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, my side and the concept that forum posts are not all written specifically for/at you. 🙂

'Minds me of a really old joke:

A Victorian adventurer advertised for people to join his next expedition to the wilds of Arabia.

A little man came into his office. "Ah, so you're here about the ad? the adventurer asked. The little man nodded. "So, you've been to exotic locations? Africa? Brazil? Mongolia?"

"Oh, no," the little man said. "I've never left Queens."

"So you're a linguist? You speak Arabic, Farsi, Urdu?"

"Oh, no," the little man said. "I just speak a little Yiddish."

The adventurer scratched his head. "So you're a good organizer... can buy supplies, manage pack horses, travel, accommodations?"

"Oh, no," the little man said. "My dear wife handles all that, and I am allergic to horses."

The adventurer gave an exasperated sigh. "So, then, why DID you come in today?"

"I just wanted to let you know," the little man said, "that on me, you shouldn't depend."

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thanks 1