Brute build and Rogue Isles?

Palehood

If I'm not mistaken, if I choose the Brute build,that would make my alignment as Villain right?So if I choose that build,I automatically end up in the Rogue Isles which is for Villains when I start the game? Will the gameplay become rather difficult since Rogue Isles is only for experienced players?

Yup. See Null the Gull on the van at Pocket D.

Or do a dozen or so Tips missions when they drop, which is fun and lucrative, but takes a lot longer.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Brute was solely a villain AT with the launch of CoV, yes, but that was later changed.  Now any AT can be hero or villain or anything in between.

To clarify what others have said, there are a few ways to handle this:

When you create the character, you will be prompted to decide whether or not you will play a tutorial.  If you choose yes, you will be given three options.  If you choose "Outbreak," you will be a hero.  "Breakout" is the villain tutorial.  If you choose "Galaxy City," you will reach a point within the tutorial where you are given the choice of "Hero" or "Villain."

If you decide not to play a tutorial, instead you will be presented with a prompt to choose "Hero" or "Villain" upon completing character creation.

Of course, this is all assuming that at the very beginning of character creation, you selected "City of Heroes: Freedom" and not "Going Rogue."  "Going Rogue" is "gold side" and presents a completely different set of alignment options.

Either way, once you're in the game, if you decide you don't like your alignment, you can change it either by talking to Null the Gull in Pocket D (fast way) or by doing Tip missions to gradually shift your alignment (slow way).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

Either way, once you're in the game, if you decide you don't like your alignment, you can change it either by talking to Null the Gull in Pocket D (fast way) or by doing Tip missions to gradually shift your alignment (slow way).

Unless you pick Gold.  You can't change alignment until you've crossed over and naturalized as a Primal. Up until then that option isn't even there when a Gold talks to Null.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

1 hour ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Close. Kheldians can only start as heroes, and Arachnos folks can only start as villains. Neither get the option of running the tutorial. 

But you can change sides as soon as you enter the world. 

Correct, my notes only apply to standard ATs; not EATs/VEATs.

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

Unless you pick Gold.  You can't change alignment until you've crossed over and naturalized as a Primal. Up until then that option isn't even there when a Gold talks to Null.

Which is why I noted this:

2 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Of course, this is all assuming that at the very beginning of character creation, you selected "City of Heroes: Freedom" and not "Going Rogue."  "Going Rogue" is "gold side" and presents a completely different set of alignment options.  

• Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Correct, my notes only apply to standard ATs; not EATs/VEATs.

Which is why I noted this:

Not so much disagreeing as clarifying that you can't  change those alignment options 🙂

Edited by Darmian

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

2 hours ago, Darmian said:

Note so much disagreeing as clarifying that you can't  change those alignment options 🙂

Well, you can, they're just different alignment options than hero vs. villain, but I thought getting into the intricacies of the gold side alignments was more than the OP was looking for.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Well, you can, they're just different alignment options than hero vs. villain, but I thought getting into the intricacies of the gold side alignments was more than the OP was looking for.

You can't change them at Null.

17 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Now you're just being pedantic.

No, I'm not.  More than half of the thread involved speaking to Null to change alignments. I've answered this exact question plenty of times in the Help channel in game, that if you're Gold you cannot (a) change your alignment from Loyalist to Resistance or vice versa at Null, and (b) you can't change any of those into a hero/villain/Vigilante/Rogue at Null. You need to take the rift mission first. I'll grant that I could have been clearer earlier but that's hardly pedantry.

Edited by Darmian

1 minute ago, Xenosone said:

It isnt harder being on redside. It isnt hard to get to redside. In fact this games pretty simple and people that sit in AE begging for pl's still cant manage that. 

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Blackbird71 said:

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but what does that have to do with the topic at hand?

The OP asked about difficulty and it hadn't really been addressed yet.   I have to say, I think the "redside is more difficult" thing is generally overstated too.  I think newer content is generally more challenging than older and to the extent redside is newer, it may have a few slightly more challenging missions.  But I don't think it holds a candle to Goldside for troublesome enemies and many, many ambushes.

But even then, pick some newer arcs Red or Blueside and you can find similarly challenging missions.   It's clear the devs' approach to missions changed over time.  For the better, I think.

Still, I wouldn't worry overly much about difficulty redside.  Certainly starting out I haven't had any real difficulty compared to blue.  And as noted, it's easy enough to change sides later on.

20 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Redside isn't harder just better.

So there are many starting players who also start as Villains in Rogues Isles? Would you recommend I start off as a Villain,being a beginner and so on?

Edited by Palehood

1 hour ago, Palehood said:

So there are many starting players who also start as Villains in Rogues Isles? Would you recommend I start off as a Villain,being a beginner and so on?

It was years ago (during the Cryptic days right after issue 7 came out), but I started out with CoV only as a new player, was usually solo or in a duo while playing a squishy (my first two characters were Corruptors), and had little trouble. The game has become much easier (albeit more complex) since then and if you're playing a Brute it will be even easier - Fury is insanely good at low levels when you're slot-starved.

That said, the population is higher starting as a hero. If you want to get into teams and run through content with a group, you'll be better served to start there. If you want to go at your own pace, read the mission text, and don't mind running solo, redside is a great place to start.

Edited by siolfir
changes to mention ATs
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Palehood said:

This game allows you to have nearly unlimited characters, so don't feel locked into once decision or the other.

As a first time player I do recommend starting your first character as a hero. The starting zone is easier to traverse and there are more people around to guide you through joining teams and task forces. You can switch to villain at any point. The zone where you do that (Pocket D) is easy to get to, and there's no cost to do it. Once you feel comfortable then I'd look more into the villain stuff.

4 hours ago, Palehood said:

No the population is low, most people "can't " play at being a bad guy for a bunch of reasons. 

I have only played on redside, 1 time on gold side, and never on blue unless I come over for a task force.

I would say choose a place to start and make your own decision on what side you want to play on. You can always go back and forth.

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:51 AM, Xenosone said:

It isnt harder being on redside. It isnt hard to get to redside. In fact this games pretty simple and people that sit in AE begging for pl's still cant manage that. 

People ripping on AE but I mean I’ve played with WAY WORSE players who havent been in an AE. Explain that, huh? How do you play through the whole game and still be bad, with no AE to blame?

• Sad 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|