Are you excited about the future of the MCU?

On 10/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  •  
  • I believe they've retired T'Challa from the MCU. You couldn't really have anyone else play Chadwick, even in a vox box.

There was a Black Panther Run where T'Challa's sister took on the Black Panther mantle.  

I assume this is the plan for any future BP stuff, or something like it. 

15 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I think he would.

I think he would. He LOVED that character to bits.

So Chadwick/T'Challa is gone... for now. No-one ever really dies in Marvel, natch, and when the inevitable reboot happens, there will be another actor. In time.

But the legend of the Panther lives on and grows: and a generation of little girls get to be Panthers too.

That's a legacy. Wakanda Forever.

I'm really hoping the opening of the multi-verse allows for another T'Challa to cross universes and plant himself firmly in the MCUniverse, maybe not as king, but as a Black Panther.  Then we'd have both Shuri Panther and a T'Challa Panther.  (They really need to bring in Hunter, the original White Wolf as well.)

On 10/8/2021 at 3:10 AM, Hyperstrike said:

If you want to see what the bus fight of the film COULD have been?  Go watch "Nobody".

"Nobody" flew completely under my radar until a reviewer I follow recommended it. I'm glad he did. Excellent movie.

Edited by Ulysses Dare

I loved reading the old comics back in the 80's when I was a kid, 1970's Fantastic Four adventures in the Negative Zone were awesome and I hope they bring some of that magic to the screen at some point. Cinema hasn't ever given the F4 the right treatment, and without them you lose the greatest villain in, imo, all of comic book lore: Dr. Doom

I've loved the MCU so far, loved the Netflix shows(yes, even Iron Fist), Runaways, The Gifted, Cloak and Dagger, I even liked Inhumans... and I can't wait for more Marvel goodness.

If that makes me a fanboy or some other derogatory word in your opinion, then you know where you can shove that opinion: right back up to its origin.

I never thought these stories would make it to the big screen with such good production quality. Are they verbatim? No. Have they changed to reflect the times we live in? Yes. Just like all great stories do. Stagnation isn't interesting, it's old and moldy. I'm sure the Babylonians complained when the story of Gilgamesh was altered by someone spinning a new version of the epic, too. Get over yourselves if you're so inflexible and upset that your perfect vision of what the story should have been doesn't coalesce before your eyes, try enjoying that they're happening at all. Hollywood has produced some terrible stuff in its time, modern comic book movies aren't as bad as 90% of previous cinema. Would you rather watch rehashed TV show movies again? No thank you.

They were out of stories in the mid-2000's, so Marvel stepped up and said: "Hold my beer."

I look forward to Phase 4, and 5, and 6, etc.

Excelsior!(RIP Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, and anyone else I momentarily forgot)

Edited by Mopery
Stuff 'n things.

What, me worry?

On 10/10/2021 at 6:40 AM, Mopery said:

I loved reading the old comics back in the 80's when I was a kid, 1970's Fantastic Four adventures in the Negative Zone were awesome and I hope they bring some of that magic to the screen at some point. Cinema hasn't ever given the F4 the right treatment, and without them you lose the greatest villain in, imo, all of comic book lore: Dr. Doom

Did... did Doom write this?

(Wait, no, it's not written third-person)

There's been a shortage of proper baddies in movies for years. All good villains need the right script and the right actor, and suffer with the wrong one.

(Case in point: did Black Widow need to bother with Ray Winstone? He's barely in it for 5 minutes, is a pretty bog-standard supercreep and has a weird Moscow-meets-Essex accent that makes you want to fastwind his whole bit.)

Back to Latveria: I actually like Julian McMahon in the first Alba/Chiklis/Gruffudd/some forgettable blonde himbo film quite a lot. He certainly got Doom's unhinged but unstoppable charisma vibe down, but the script wasn't up to it. 

Whereas Vulture/Eugene Toombs is, frankly, a a bit rubbish on paper.

But given to Michael Keaton...

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

I think, going forward, MCU writers need to avoid some of the plot elements that are now kind of cliche - no more "giant energy beams into the sky".  No more evil copy of the hero.  Let's instead, adopt the original evil overlord checklist and see some villainous competency.  Events don't need to be extinction-level to be meaningful, and people don't need to act incompetently in order for the hero/villain to succeed or fail...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, biostem said:

I think, going forward, MCU writers need to avoid some of the plot elements that are now kind of cliche - no more "giant energy beams into the sky".  No more evil copy of the hero.  Let's instead, adopt the original evil overlord checklist and see some villainous competency.  Events don't need to be extinction-level to be meaningful, and people don't need to act incompetently in order for the hero/villain to succeed or fail...

There comes a point though (perhaps "trap" is a better word) where the fandom embraces the cliche and are disappointed if the cliches are not used.  Just ask Ryan of YouTube's "Pitch Meeting" fame or just watch any Star Wars work.  Sooner or later "I have a bad feeling about this" pops up.

Oh, and for a change up, how about "giant energy beams from the sky"?    Galactus is coming...

Y'know what'd be interesting - to see a movie that delves into a metahuman with a nearly useless power, but with an obvious visual difference, and have them trying to cope or fit in - but don't make it where all normal people are evil or mean - something like what the early days of quirks would have been like in My Hero Academia, or maybe a Morlocks movie...

26 minutes ago, biostem said:

Y'know what'd be interesting - to see a movie that delves into a metahuman with a nearly useless power, but with an obvious visual difference, and have them trying to cope or fit in - but don't make it where all normal people are evil or mean - something like what the early days of quirks would have been like in My Hero Academia, or maybe a Morlocks movie...

Mask.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

What, me worry?

10 hours ago, biostem said:

I would love to pitch that. Except definitely not useless... just slightly harder to accept as a gift, and to get others to accept you.

And once you find that crowd, stick with 'em.

squirrelfeatureimage.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

6 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I would love to pitch that. Except definitely not useless... just slightly harder to accept as a gift, and to get others to accept you.

I should have been clearer - I meant "nearly useless" in terms of combat effectiveness.  I mean, a mutant whose power is to mend small breaches in things could be really useful, especially if it worked on people too.  Someone who could influence the production of lactic acid might have some really specific use somewhere, but they're not likely to be called to stop the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants...

Heh. Reminds me of Mystery Men a little (the guy who can turn invisible - but only if nobody's watching - and the one who flings forks and is very mysterious. I have a feeling that the Deadpool 2 X-Force casting scene is a direct lift, but is none the worse for it.)

Also, we still need a Squirrel Girl movie, damnit.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:00 PM, biostem said:

I should have been clearer - I meant "nearly useless" in terms of combat effectiveness. 

Sounds almost like the premise for Sky High.  Individuals with seemingly useless powers like being a human glow stick, or being a shapeshifter but only as a hamster trying to find their way in a social group of flight, super strength, and invulnerability.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

Sounds almost like the premise for Sky High.  Individuals with seemingly useless powers like being a human glow stick, or being a shapeshifter but only as a hamster trying to find their way in a social group of flight, super strength, and invulnerability.

Bit of a tangent, but even if she was attending school in like the 70s or 80s, would a technopath still be really really useful?  Doesn't make sense to me why she was sent to the sidekick track...

9 hours ago, biostem said:

Bit of a tangent, but even if she was attending school in like the 70s or 80s, would a technopath still be really really useful?  Doesn't make sense to me why she was sent to the sidekick track...

Feels like a metaphor for jock-friendly schools - the ones that don't seem directly useful to Coach Bruce are immediately down as sidekicks/dweebs/nerds.

Forever.

(Well, unless puberty gifts you with unusual height, speed or muscular changes.)

I managed to avoid going to an American high school, but from my friends' experiences, this tracks.

Also, a great and undervalued cape flick in its own right.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

I find the MCU has been decent. Most movies are OK and entertaining...but they're nothing special, memorable or iconic. Disposable fun. Not much else. They hit gold with casting in regards to Captain America, Thor and Iron Man. They held it all together. Some of the movies were really good but most were ok and some stunk (Thor 2 and some others...can I get my $ back?!).

Marvel has a huge catalogue of characters and movies. I am giddy for Eternals. I am hoping they do a good job on Fantastic Four and the X-Men (before the MCU, these franchises were right at the top in regards to popularity especially in the 90's and 80's).

I enjoyed Shang-Chi. I thought Black Widow was lame and Venom 2 was pretty crappy (yes, not MCU proper). So, as of right now, the recent MCU stuff has been meh but I am excited for some of the future.

Am going to skip Eternals, for reasons outlined above.  Looking way too serious and up itself to be a good popcorn-munchy cape flick.

Next thing I'm excited for is Hawkeye, aka Die Hard With Avengers.

Not least because Rogers:The Musical looks like a whole lot of fun - and if Marvel ever decided to put it on for real, I would absolutely be in the ticket queue.

Because I mean, what could go wrong with a superhero mus...er...yeah.

Bit of industry news: almost all of Marvel's upcoming slate after Eternals has been put back - basically leapfrogging down one slot.

• Spidey:NWH - currently still slated for December 17th but might move, especially if COVID strikes back in key markets.
    (UK is already in trouble with sub-variant AY4.2, aka Delta 2: Electric Boogaloo - so unfortunately another Christmas lockdown is likely.)
  • Strange's MoM - now May 5th 2022
  • Love & Thunder - July 8th 2022
  • Wakanda Forever - Nov 11th 2022
  • The Marvels - Feb 17th 2023
  • GOTG 3 - May 5th 2023 (original date)
  • Quantumania - July 28th 2023

Reasoning is that while Shang-Chi was a hit in pandemic-era terms, it still underperformed compared to other Marvel movies.
Giving the industry more time to adjust seems wise. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Bit of industry news: almost all of Marvel's upcoming slate after Eternals has been put back - basically leapfrogging down one slot.

• Spidey:NWH - currently still slated for December 17th but might move, especially if COVID strikes back in key markets.
    (UK is already in trouble with sub-variant AY4.2, aka Delta 2: Electric Boogaloo - so unfortunately another Christmas lockdown is likely.)
  • Strange's MoM - now May 5th 2022
  • Love & Thunder - July 8th 2022
  • Wakanda Forever - Nov 11th 2022
  • The Marvels - Feb 17th 2023
  • GOTG 3 - May 5th 2023 (original date)
  • Quantumania - July 28th 2023

Reasoning is that while Shang-Chi was a hit in pandemic-era terms, it still underperformed compared to other Marvel movies.
Giving the industry more time to adjust seems wise. 

Gosh darn economics! I want my super hero movies!

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png