Doctor Who

Optimum_Man

Any other Doctor Who fans out there? I’m rewatching the whole new series with my girlfriend at the moment and it got me thinking. What archetype would the Doctor be if he existed in game? What power sets? What about the other Time Lords? Anyone got any ideas? I could think of a few but I really wanna know what everyone else thinks?

576FC271-991D-4F55-89AE-2A9DF3CB1E93.jpeg

42767F6B-46C8-420F-8B7C-5B08914D8D67.jpeg

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

I've been a fan since the Tom Baker era along with both my brothers (yes, I'm that old, and the regeneration isn't kicking in yet). 

In game: would say the Doctor would probably be an NPC, Controller or even a Companions/Sonic/Charge Mastermind, since they're pretty effective when setting up plans and letting others (both friends and foes) run around and do the work. Quite surprised they haven't shown up in Night Ward alongside the red Tardis replicas.

One of my many small claims to fandom is having sat in Bessie when I was very small at an early Whovian convention, and met a nice old bloke called Ron and made strange sounds with him. Oh, and I annoyed my brothers by being born during a Saturday teatime episode. Intensely disliked Colin Baker's / John Nathan-Turner's take on the show and drifted off at that point - think that was my first actual experience of fandom wars.

Came back for Ecclestone, loved Tennant, mostly liked Smith & Capaldi, and have been 100% stanning Jodie as the Doctor, and think she deserved much better storylines. (Though Arachnids In The UK was genius, not just for the epic title pun, but also for Chris Noth.)

Particular fan of Jodie for an actual self-filmed broom cupboard minisode - which is now the hourly intro on SciFi Radio:

I also love when other shows/movies namecheck the show. Been catching up on Leverage:Redemption now it's available in the UK - man, I missed those characters and that writing - and got a genuine gutlaugh for...

Spoiler

...Sophie and Hardison introducing themselves as MI5's Jo Grant and Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart.

Oh, and my partner wouldn't let me get a Weeping Angel in the garden for Halloween, because they scare the hell out of them.

Personally I'd have it year-round.

https://www.thisplanetearth.co.uk/full weeping angel.htm

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 2

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Total fan, including the BF material. The Doctor doesn't fit any type from CoX though. As @Kyksie says above.  Even the War Doctor doesn't fit (and from the one version we've seen there's a good chance the pre Hartnell ones don't either).

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

14 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I've been a fan since the Tom Baker era along with both my brothers (yes, I'm that old, and the regeneration isn't kicking in yet). 

In game: would say the Doctor would probably be an NPC, Controller or even a Companions/Sonic/Charge Mastermind, since they're pretty effective when setting up plans and letting others (both friends and foes) run around and do the work. Quite surprised they haven't shown up in Night Ward alongside the red Tardis replicas.

One of my many small claims to fandom is having sat in Bessie when I was very small at an early Whovian convention, and met a nice old bloke called Ron and made strange sounds with him. Oh, and I annoyed my brothers by being born during a Saturday teatime episode. Intensely disliked Colin Baker's / John Nathan-Turner's take on the show and drifted off at that point - think that was my first actual experience of fandom wars.

Came back for Ecclestone, loved Tennant, mostly liked Smith & Capaldi, and have been 100% stanning Jodie as the Doctor, and think she deserved much better storylines. (Though Arachnids In The UK was genius, not just for the epic title pun, but also for Chris Noth.)

Particular fan of Jodie for an actual self-filmed broom cupboard minisode - which is now the hourly intro on SciFi Radio:

I also love when other shows/movies namecheck the show. Been catching up on Leverage:Redemption now it's available in the UK - man, I missed those characters and that writing - and got a genuine gutlaugh for...

Hide contents

...Sophie and Hardison introducing themselves as MI5's Jo Grant and Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart.

Oh, and my partner wouldn't let me get a Weeping Angel in the garden for Halloween, because they scare the hell out of them.

Personally I'd have it year-round.

https://www.thisplanetearth.co.uk/full weeping angel.htm

So I haven’t seen Jodie yet, I honestly just stopped watching the show. Although I was initially very happy when Moffat took over as showrunner, I quickly became disappointed with the quality of the story from his run, which also seemed to degrade over time. By the end of Capaldi’s era I was ecstatic to see him gone. I was hoping that would mean better writing, but alas that’s not the case. Who’s lead writer now? Who’s showrunner?

You pay to play, having fun is ok, kill Skuls or kill Crey, hunt at night or in the day, black or white or shades of gray, play it your way, we have no say.

3 hours ago, Kyksie said:

I love Doctor Who, but you can't compare him (her?) to City of Heroes archetypes. 99.99% of the game is based on shooting, blasting and punching, which the Doctor actively tries to avoid doing.

1 hour ago, Darmian said:

Total fan, including the BF material. The Doctor doesn't fit any type from CoX though. As @Kyksie says above.  Even the War Doctor doesn't fit (and from the one version we've seen there's a good chance the pre Hartnell ones don't either).

Thanks for the feedback guys! Although I’m thinking I agree with @ThaOGDreamWeaver and think it’s Mastermind.

1 hour ago, Optimum_Man said:

So I haven’t seen Jodie yet, I honestly just stopped watching the show. Although I was initially very happy when Moffat took over as showrunner, I quickly became disappointed with the quality of the story from his run, which also seemed to degrade over time. By the end of Capaldi’s era I was ecstatic to see him gone. I was hoping that would mean better writing, but alas that’s not the case. Who’s lead writer now? Who’s showrunner?

If you've not dipped a toe in the fully licenced BF material (canonised IMO definitely in Night of the Doctor) then I'd recommend it.  There's some GREAT writing & stories in there.

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

• 2 weeks later
On 10/30/2021 at 5:45 PM, Optimum_Man said:

Any other Doctor Who fans out there? I’m rewatching the whole new series with my girlfriend at the moment and it got me thinking. What archetype would the Doctor be if he existed in game? What power sets? What about the other Time Lords? Anyone got any ideas? I could think of a few but I really wanna know what everyone else thinks?

On 10/31/2021 at 6:44 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

On 10/31/2021 at 5:50 PM, Kyksie said:

I love Doctor Who, but you can't compare him (her?) to City of Heroes archetypes. 99.99% of the game is based on shooting, blasting and punching, which the Doctor actively tries to avoid doing.

Kyksie has the right of it. 

That said, the idea of a Mastermind manipulating others to his bidding is the Doctor at his darkest, So ThaOGDreamWeaver has a point.

I created an homage character that is a time\gravity controller (gravity standing in for "space"), but perhaps a Sonic\Time Corrupter would be more appropriate.   That said, the Doctor has exhibited some psychic abilities, and is great with robots, so there's some flexibility in choices.

You're probably right. But I've got half a mind to make a Master-Mind to wander around after you now.

Or maybe a Missy-Mind...

(Slightly related note: who else is happy to see all the Who-lumni taking over the world? Michelle on Sabrina, Doom Patrol and The Flight Attendant, Smith edging into movies - and finally nailing something decent with Last Night in Soho, Darvill holding together Legends for three seasons and having a big run in London theatre, Tennant enjoying the hell out of everything from Good Omens to DuckTales, and then of course there's the mighty 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Karen Gillan🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿...)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

You're probably right. But I've got half a mind to make a Master-Mind to wander around after you now.

Or maybe a Missy-Mind...

(Slightly related note: who else is happy to see all the Who-lumni taking over the world? Michelle on Sabrina, Doom Patrol and The Flight Attendant, Smith edging into movies - and finally nailing something decent with Last Night in Soho, Darvill holding together Legends for three seasons and having a big run in London theatre, Tennant enjoying the hell out of everything from Good Omens to DuckTales, and then of course there's the mighty 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Karen Gillan🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿...)

It's very wholesome.

Basically The Doctor can be any AT with a super-high recharge build and a self-rez.

FYI, I got introduced to Doctor Who in High School in a Doctor Who fanclub.
I'd kinda seen pieces on PBS (WTTW in Chicago).
But the first actual episodes I watch were PAL bootlegs from the UK.
And the first episode was "An Unearthly Child", followed by the rest of the first season.

So my first Doctor was Hartnell.

My favorite Doctor, old-school, was Tom Baker.

My favorite Doctor, overall, was Eccleston.  And I feel a grave disservice was done to the fanbase by only giving the man a year.
Not to take anything away from Tennant.  But Chris really deserved at least another couple seasons.

Favorite monster?
Billie Piper: Bad Wolf.
I just find it hilarious that the most powerful, dangerous thing The Doctor ever faced was a young woman who was trying to get into his pants...with the powers of a god...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Simple version?

#9 needed way more and had probably more heart than the rest.

Zombie Matt still bugs me when I look at him, but not nearly as much as our current Doctor. I've been told that I probably don't like this one because of the writing, but the way she's played bugs TF out of me as well as it feels like some sort of knock-off. Well, that and they didn't even make her Ginger...which still wouldn't balance out the other issues with the character. Also, are they ever gonna explain 'that' doctor introduced last season?

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

My favorite Doctor, overall, was Eccleston.  And I feel a grave disservice was done to the fanbase by only giving the man a year.

Get the Big finish stuff! Yes it's audio drama but he's knocking it out of the park!  Currently two sets released (that's 6 more hours of him!) and another two to go, at least in this "Season".

2 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Simple version?

#9 needed way more and had probably more heart than the rest.

Zombie Matt still bugs me when I look at him, but not nearly as much as our current Doctor. I've been told that I probably don't like this one because of the writing, but the way she's played bugs TF out of me as well as it feels like some sort of knock-off. Well, that and they didn't even make her Ginger...which still wouldn't balance out the other issues with the character. Also, are they ever gonna explain 'that' doctor introduced last season?

I'm pretty sure that the nasty backlash they caught has more or less driven a stake into the heart of that storyline.
And the upcoming regeneration will likely retcon the living hell out of it.

I didn't care for the Whitaker Doctor either.
Not that Jodie herself was BAD.
Just her portrayal.  Which is essentially bad writing and direction.  So, it's Chibnall and his writing team.

29 minutes ago, TheOtherTed said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Olivia Colman would have made a great - and very different - Doctor, especially when opposed with Missy?

I dunno.  The writing has to be there.

And the last two show runners...well...

IMO the writing isn't the only thing.  Each Doctor is unique in no small part because each actor brings something new to the role, while still exhibiting a certain edge-of-chaos energy that, for me, has become a hallmark of the role.  I'll admit that I've only seen Whittaker (and Colman) in "Broadchurch," so I don't really know her range as an actor.  However, "chaos" is not a term I would have associated with her.

I watched a few episodes of her as the Doctor, and my impression was that she was trying to recapture Tennant's performance more than anything.  There wasn't anything "new," and while she delivered a lot of energy, it felt forced.  It wasn't her own.

Maybe she's made the role her own by now.  If that's true, I'd gladly watch the rest of her run.

• 2 weeks later

I've found there's really little room to complain about Moffat once Chibnal took the reins.  Well, I say "little," there's some.  He had his annoying fall-backs as every writer does, and dialogue was nothing but sparkling with him around.  And the fact he was able to pull himself out of most of those tics and reinvent a lot of his style when Capaldi stepped into the role was pretty great.  I've just recently been back through all of those episodes and they're mostly great stuff.  I find it brings a whole nuther dimension to the show if you're not hyped up to the gills and waiting, straining for that very next episode to broadcast this week, rather than just sitting down for some telly.

That said, I can't bring myself to rewatch any of Chibnal's run, they were just so flat.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

First Doctor was, barring maybe seeing a Tom Baker ep as a kid on PBS, was Paul McGann.   Started watching Chris's run, realized one ep a week on Sci-fi was not enough, got my hands on the whole first season with him.  Had to adjust going to Tennant, loved his char, same thing with Smith, and somewhat with Capaldi.  Not sold on Jodie, maybe it's the writing, but she has her moments.   Fave classic Doctor is Jon Pertwee.   Had I know about conventions and DW as a little kid, could have met him at a convention barely 2 hours away back in the  day.    Have met John Barrowman ("Hey, for this photo, lets make snooty faces, and in this one, ugly faces"), and Alex Kingston (Who lifts up her leg at a convention for me to hold up in a photo, I proceed to bust out laughing).   Gotten photos with Tennant and Smith,  have Christopher's autograph and two of his moments are among my faves of all DW moments "EVERYONE LIVES!"  and his whole first scene with a Dalek is why I needed to watch the old show, to see what these beings had done to provoke a murderous rage in a apparently very UN-murderous character.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
On 11/16/2021 at 2:14 PM, Krimson said:

but then the episode where the moon was an egg happened, and even the 13 ounces of rum I consumed was not enough to wash down the plot.

I'd managed to purge that one from my memory until I read your comment.  Ugh!  Thanks for the memories. 😣

For me what broke it was the "surprise" visit by the First.  David Bradley is a wonderful actor, and did great justice to William Hartnell in the biopic, but for the actual show, the script they handed David was a terrible blight on the character of the First Doctor.