Carnies Should Drop Bonus XP

EyeLuvBooks

1 hour ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

I simply think that EVERYTHING the players defeat should grant rewards.

I agree with this in theory. Not necessarily in this instance though.

The upside, if you can call it that, of Comm Officer and Illusionist summons not awarding XP is that it makes them a target. My friends and I always try to shut them down first so as to prevent the summons in the first place. This provides some fun and actually requires us to think while steamrolling through enemies.

But what do I know? I think that if I'm 50 and I save someone in Atlas Park from getting mugged that I should get some kind of reward as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:33 AM, Six-Six said:

I'm trying to read between the lines here, so forgive me if I'm way off. But it seems you've found your nemesis in Carnies. It sounds to me they're giving you a harder time (more than other foes at least) and therefore wish to get extra compensation for your efforts.

1) I personally don't think XP is a big issue. The P2W lady and I have long been on non-speaking terms; and on regular XP gain, I still get enough XP to the point that I have to turn XP off every now and then as not to out-level certain contacts. Also, the Circus peeps (on redside) appear around mid-30s. at that level, a few hundred additional XP from the summons in question would be negligible.

2) Decoys ARE annoying, but I believe they're there for a purpose. Even when the summoner dies, they linger, but they don't really follow you much. I think they're there to throw a monkey wrench on you target_nearest_enemy_alive macro or your tab targeting. You can ignore them and they shouldn't bother you if you're paying attention to what your hitting.

3) Illusionists are vulnerable to holds and stuns/disorient. knock em silly and take em down with ease. Another way, if your hold wasn't blessed by the RNG gods, is to take note of their dress colour. Their summons will have different dress colours so you can identify the original and take them down. IIRC, you can ignore the summons and they vanish after a while. Also if they do get to phase, it doesn't last long and then they dish a weak attack that's a tell tale giveaway that they're vulnerable again (like Fake Nemesis and his giant popsicle stick). Also, if you want XP for killing one of their illusions, then the flip side is Trollers should have an HP penalty when one from their phantom army is killed... which sort of defeats the purpose of the illusion and the power.

For you it might be Illusionists. For another bloke, it may be the the Seneschals or Ring Mistresses... or Devouring Earth Sentries and their Cairns... or Sappers, Rikty Monkeys, or something. Just think of it as a weakness of your particular toon. The weaker you are against it, the more satisfaction you get when you overcome it.

I propose something different.  Suppose some group is very easy for me to farm, I propose giving me double $$$ and half xp at level 50.

• Haha 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

There was something like that when I started playing when HC came back online. While you can double your XP from P2W lady and earn no inf in return, you could also turn of XP in Options. Doing so meant you instead get 2x the inf. It was revoked a few months ago and caused a huge stir among the farmers. These days, I still turn of XP as to not to out-level contacts; I never really checked if you still get 2x inf when you're below 50. in any case, for content and door missions, 2x the inf is just twice the chump change in your pocket. But for farmers, it was half their earnings!

I don't know if I'm remember the next bit right, but I also had a chat with a GM once. And as you raise the difficulty on enemies, the more XP they potentially drop (defeating whites < purples), but the time you take to defeat them is also a factor. It takes you one shot to kill a blue boss, but 3 minutes to kill a purple boss; then the XP difference is negated. That's why on most of my toons, my personal sweet spot for optimum XP gain is +2x4 or +4x2 depending on the toon.

Now going back to the OP and the implications of the proposal, while in theory you SHOULD get more rewards for more difficult tasks, in practise it becomes subjective and quite hard to balance: more difficult tasks has to standardised as being hard for everyone. Just because one guy puts in more effort to kill something that takes me two seconds doesn't mean he should deserves a bigger reward. What about me? I showed awesome skill and strategy and took the bugger in two shots--don't I deserve some special treatment?

I personally think the XP reward system in the game is rather lenient. I've been on teams where a brute would wipe out the entire mob while I was desperately trying to put a dent on one. Yet the entire team gets rewarded for his efforts. Solo, it becomes more pronounced. But what's easy for one can be difficult for another; what's good for one player/AT may not be for another. You have to take a look from the wider perspective and not just your personal experience (may they be negative or positive) before you ask for something that affects ALL of us. I think the current HC team is doing a fantastic job handling this difficult task--and with no rewards for them at that.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DreadShinobi said:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

More Jedi lies!!!

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:48 AM, EyeLuvBooks said:

Just a concerned player back after a long hiatus ma'am.

ma'am denotes military or prison.. Which one ?

thanks for reminding me, I didn't mention again that I am a dude. The dudeliest. Man about town. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

On 12/31/2021 at 2:27 AM, Six-Six said:

There was something like that when I started playing when HC came back online. While you can double your XP from P2W lady and earn no inf in return, you could also turn of XP in Options. Doing so meant you instead get 2x the inf. It was revoked a few months ago and caused a huge stir among the farmers. These days, I still turn of XP as to not to out-level contacts; I never really checked if you still get 2x inf when you're below 50. in any case, for content and door missions, 2x the inf is just twice the chump change in your pocket. But for farmers, it was half their earnings!

I don't know if I'm remember the next bit right, but I also had a chat with a GM once. And as you raise the difficulty on enemies, the more XP they potentially drop (defeating whites < purples), but the time you take to defeat them is also a factor. It takes you one shot to kill a blue boss, but 3 minutes to kill a purple boss; then the XP difference is negated. That's why on most of my toons, my personal sweet spot for optimum XP gain is +2x4 or +4x2 depending on the toon.

Now going back to the OP and the implications of the proposal, while in theory you SHOULD get more rewards for more difficult tasks, in practise it becomes subjective and quite hard to balance: more difficult tasks has to standardised as being hard for everyone. Just because one guy puts in more effort to kill something that takes me two seconds doesn't mean he should deserves a bigger reward. What about me? I showed awesome skill and strategy and took the bugger in two shots--don't I deserve some special treatment?

I personally think the XP reward system in the game is rather lenient. I've been on teams where a brute would wipe out the entire mob while I was desperately trying to put a dent on one. Yet the entire team gets rewarded for his efforts. Solo, it becomes more pronounced. But what's easy for one can be difficult for another; what's good for one player/AT may not be for another. You have to take a look from the wider perspective and not just your personal experience (may they be negative or positive) before you ask for something that affects ALL of us. I think the current HC team is doing a fantastic job handling this difficult task--and with no rewards for them at that.

Very fair and honest points.

4 hours ago, plainguy said:

Maybe where YOU were raised. Where I come from we call it having manners. I have never been to prison and, sadly, I possess a disability that eliminates military service for me despite the fact that I tried to sign up twice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Maybe where YOU were raised. Where I come from we call it having manners. I have never been to prison and, sadly, I possess a disability that eliminates military service for me despite the fact that I tried to sign up twice.

Must be a southern thing

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, plainguy said:

Bein a southerner. Although I was also in the army.

2 hours ago, plainguy said:

Must be a southern thing

Ayup.

Edit: And now I'm a Masshole! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2022 at 8:24 PM, plainguy said:

Must be a southern thing

Could be, but I'm a confirmed Yankee.

Truth be told, it comes from a combination of good manners and a bad day in Retail. My first day on the job working at Walgreens and I was trying to help a woman who looked like she couldn't find something. 'Excuse me Miss...may I help you find something?" She flashed her wedding ring at me and with palpable venom in her voice said 'That's Mrs.!' From that day forward, men are Sir and women are Ma'am because they're marriage-neutral. So it was for the next four years. Some habits die hard.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:59 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Bein a southerner. Although I was also in the army.

Ayup.

Edit: And now I'm a Masshole! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Former northerner, from MN, and maybe I'm an outlier but if I didn't answer my grandma with yes ma'am or no ma'am I was rolling the dice whether I would be picking a switch.

Otherwise also was US Army, and now live in the south so ma'am and sir are common place.

My wife however still thinks being called ma'am is a sign of disrespect because she thinks it's reserved for old people, and she works in higher Ed. I jokingly told her that to her students she is old as she's 150% of their age. She didn't like that too much, and I had to go pick a switch.

• Haha 2

On 12/29/2021 at 2:26 PM, Riverdusk said:

It is interesting that almost all of these "problem" enemies are pretty easily countered by having a good controller or two on the team.   😉

Or simply choosing not to fight them. I see absolutely nothing wrong in folks choosing to fight nothing but council. It’s their choice if it’s what they find fun. You know fun, what a game is supposed to be. LOL