first time soloing a TF: level 11 blaster, Posi 1

cohRock

None of my characters ever soloed a task force before today.  I did Positron 1.  It took about 100 minutes, and he died twice.  The blaster is seismic/plant.  I'm posting here rather than the blaster forum because most archetypes may be able to do this.  It's not as hard as you might think.  I'll note that Posi 1 does not have an AV, however.  Here are some of the things I learned:

1. Since the TF started at level 11, it remained 11 to the end, although my guy was able to buy level 15 DOs once he reached level 12.  Throughout the first mission, he was unslotted.
  2. He could train and slot normally, and effectively reached level 14 by the end.  He was at +25% extra xp.
  3. He ran the TF at 0 difficulty.  The first two missions were +2 foes, but he went to +1 after that, mainly to speed things up.
  4. At level 11 and low difficulty, there were no Circle of Thorns spirits, neither the small nor big ones.  I hate those because they really mess with one's ability to hit foes.  There were a few madness mages throughout, as well as eidelons and the big boss clockwork.  At +1 foes, there were never more than 3 foes in a group.
  5. Running a TF by yourself gives you time to read clues and understand fully what is going on.  With big teams, things move so fast, one cannot absorb the underlying story.

This is not something I plan to do a lot.  I'm not sure if a mid-teens blaster could take down the AV at the end of most TFs.  But now I've done something I never did before.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 9

-- Rock

Congratulations!

Might I recommend Google "Task Force City of Heroes" and it will give you a good amount of links on explanation on some of things you discovered and have yet to discover.

It will also help you plan if you attempt to solo again.

GJ 

• Like 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

I solo'd "Oldschool" Positron on my Controller. The combined 1+2 from before it was split up, via Ouroborus. No AV at the end, just an EB.

It was nice being able to actually read the darn plot as I was going, though, to be fair, I can read the plot to any TF anytime I want on the HCWiki or other such sites.

• Like 1

I soloed Positron part 1 five or six times the last time it was the weekly.  It's an easy way to get a Notice of the Well.

On a side note, I just did my 7th Penny Yin TF this week.  I have a lot of characters who need Notices.  🙂

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Good on ya! Next up is Posi 2 😃  a couple more up the ladder and you'll be thoroughly addicted. The only one I really had trouble with on a Blaster was Manti's with Hopkins and the Countess ganging up on my huge psi-hole. Once you're done blue side, you'll be ready to take on red-side TFs solo 😃 

One thing I really like about soloing posi 1 is no matter what character I'm on, my simulacron  (whatever the copy/clone is called) is a real push over for the Nemesis Staff. Zap with that, they go flying, and give a nice advantage. 

And for Posi 2...those bombs on the outside, since the mobs are fewer for 1 person than for a team - you can often use the jet pack and click the bombs from underneath the bridge without aggroing anything. 

And for inside - without exception, every time I've solo'd this - the mobs "guarding" the bombs to click are facing away from the bombs. I just click 'em, and watch my combat stats to see when my 65 feet of stealth comes back and go onto the next. And every time I've teamed to do this - someone ends up dying on this part, mainly because a lot of folks are still using DOs instead of SOs, if they're using anything at all. Or it could just be a lack of heals and a lack of slots altogether, or a combo of many factors. 
Just easier to solo in my view. 

My poor tanks and other non-dps ATs require a lot of reds & the envenomed dagger to tackle Dr. Vahz. My poor tank couldn't actually do it without a summon pet to help out with the dps. Probably should have waiting until it had more slots. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

It can become addictive. Some Sat morning you wake up, think "huh, haven't done any TFC work on that one characeter," next thing ya know, you've got TFC from soloing them all.

Honestly soloing these is usually one of my benchmarks for testing a new toon, especially Dr. Vahz, 2 AVs at once in Mantis, and Jurassik. On the weekends I wake up at about 6am, and there's not much going on as my wife doesn't wake up until 11, and the player population is low.