Rebuild Galaxy City

MsSmart

Maybe I am just a sentimentalist, but I always liked having the ability to go to both Atlas and Galaxy when a  low level character, so why not bring back to the real world as opposed to the alternate version we can go to through Ouroboros. So why not have the zone back "rebuilt", old cities in Europe were demolished during world war 2 and have been rebuilt, so why not bring Galaxy back?

Hugs

Sue

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even if you skip the tutorial, what is left of Galaxy City is mostly held by Arachnos trying to recover and study the Shivan meteors per the Hearts of Darkness arcs and the Shining Stars arcs. So yeah, either way, it makes more sense for Boomtown to be rebuilt and Faultline to be finished being rebuilt before Galaxy City even becomes a reconstruction concern.

I support this.   It would actually give me an incentive to work on low level arcs vs doing dfb to lev 13.    I never did like Atlas for doing low level missions.

As for the other comments about other areas have to be rebuilt first ... no, cities have the ability to work on more than one area at a time.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I didnt mean that other areas have to be rebuilt first before they could fix galaxy city.  They city can run as many construction projects as it wants in any order it chooses.  Im saying its still full of shivans.

You dont leave the tutorial because you won and there is nothing left to do.  You are evacuated because the area is lost.  The giant shivan was pushed back into the pit at half health,  not defeated.  We never reclaim galaxy city from the shivans during gameplay after that either.

Im good with contacts being restored in echo galaxy city though.  The mobs are still there so i dont see why a few contacts telling you what ones to kill and where would be game breaking.

And ruined galaxy city should have something to do with actually clearing out the shivans before its rebuilt in any way. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

I didnt mean that other areas have to be rebuilt first before they could fix galaxy city.  They city can run as many construction projects as it wants in any order it chooses.  Im saying its still full of shivans.

You dont leave the tutorial because you won and there is nothing left to do.  You are evacuated because the area is lost.  The giant shivan was pushed back into the pit at half health,  not defeated.  We never reclaim galaxy city from the shivans during gameplay after that either.

Im good with contacts being restored in echo galaxy city though.  The mobs are still there so i dont see why a few contacts telling you what ones to kill and where would be game breaking.

And ruined galaxy city should have something to do with actually clearing out the shivans before its rebuilt in any way. 

It still is.. a few Missions there to clear them out 1st (beside Tutorial) would be a nice change, vould even be higher Lvl.. so for the time Progression Viewpoint🙂

• Like 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

11 hours ago, Rudra said:

Even if you skip the tutorial, what is left of Galaxy City is mostly held by Arachnos trying to recover and study the Shivan meteors per the Hearts of Darkness arcs and the Shining Stars arcs.

Ugh. don't remind me how *utterly stupid* it is to have a foreign power's armed forces occupying part of a US city...  (And yes, I feel the same way about Longbow in Mercy, but they're not essentially the US military.)

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

13 minutes ago, SuggestorK said:

It still is.. a few Missions there to clear them out 1st (beside Tutorial) would be a nice change, vould even be higher Lvl.. so for the time Progression Viewpoint🙂

I expect that any reopening of Galaxy City would have to wait for the availability of art resources to create a 'bombed out' version of the zone as a hazard zone to set the missions in. Then, over time, it could get the 'incremental reconstruction' that will be going on in Boomtown (which is also dependent on art resources).

Just as an aside, looking at the number of different levels you can see tram rail at in Boomtown, and the monolithic triangles used in Skyway to hide level changes in the tram traffic, the equivalent in Boomtown will be massive, unless there's a major rework of the tram path.

Thats for sure and i dont await it happening in the next months/years, just was an idea for more content with already available opponents and some contingency ..

Edited by SuggestorK
typo

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

If the devs aren't going to set up Galaxy City as some kind of level 50 hazard zone where we work with the US military to push Arachnos forces out of Galaxy City then I'd prefer that they restore it to the exact way that it was before it was destroyed.

Maybe they could even alter the echo version so that it's just as Galaxy City was originally, including NPCs and mission givers. I'd just like to level up a new character in Galaxy City again.

• Thumbs Up 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I'm all for pushing Arachnos out of Galaxy City and Faultline and anywhere else, SO LONG AS, we also round up Longbow and kick their white-and-red suited butts out of Mercy and Nerva.  At LEAST move them to a base at the fringe of each zone, so anyone who wants to go hunting can still do so.  But it's long past time they got squashed like a BUG from having giant bases setup without being smacked silly. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, MTeague said:

I'm all for pushing Arachnos out of Galaxy City and Faultline and anywhere else, SO LONG AS, we also round up Longbow and kick their white-and-red suited butts out of Mercy and Nerva.  At LEAST move them to a base at the fringe of each zone, so anyone who wants to go hunting can still do so.  But it's long past time they got squashed like a BUG from having giant bases setup without being smacked silly. 

Yeah, I've always wondered about that.

As a vigilante group, or "private security company" (the current euphemism for mercenaries), I wonder what exactly they're doing in The Etoile Isles. They don't seem to be taking control and establishing law and order, which is what you'd expect of an invading and occupying force. Instead they seem to just be standing around, giving people a hard time, and shooting at the local police.

Frankly, they act more like an urban street gang than like the "heroes" they try to portray themselves as.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 2/4/2022 at 2:53 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Frankly, they act more like an urban street gang than like the "heroes" they try to portray themselves as.

From the times I've gone into the Longbow base in Nerva to get the badge in the creature cage area, they're a bit of a laughingstock already -- the automatic gun turrets always pop up and start shooting at the Longbow, so even their own base defenses hate them.

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2022 at 1:21 PM, MTeague said:

In doing the starter arcs in Mercy, you do effectively kick them out. They are forced out of the city and Arachnos takes over the base again, leaving them just isolated between the two locations.

On 2/4/2022 at 3:53 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Yeah, I've always wondered about that.

As a vigilante group, or "private security company" (the current euphemism for mercenaries), I wonder what exactly they're doing in The Etoile Isles. They don't seem to be taking control and establishing law and order, which is what you'd expect of an invading and occupying force. Instead they seem to just be standing around, giving people a hard time, and shooting at the local police.

Longbow is seen trying to round up the gangs in Mercy. It is the RIP that is harassing the people. As for Nerva, all the populace-Longbow interactions I've seen are people asking for help for various reasons. Wyvern just does a lot of posing.

35 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

From the times I've gone into the Longbow base in Nerva to get the badge in the creature cage area, they're a bit of a laughingstock already -- the automatic gun turrets always pop up and start shooting at the Longbow, so even their own base defenses hate them.

I agree that is fun as hell to watch, but the turrets there pop up to attack everything that comes in range. It's the rise of the Machines, man! They're killing us all and establishing a new Machine Empire!

... come to think of it... I should make an AE arc like that... could be fun....

I'm not against booting Longbow out of the Isles, but since Longbow is supposed to be the active deterrent force of Freedom Corps and the Rogue Isles are still technically US territory or unclaimed territory adjacent to the US in the eyes of the world nations in the game from my understanding, it kind of makes sense for them to engage in expeditionary actions against Arachnos. (Now, the missions in the Isles where the PPD invade? That makes no damn sense.) How they managed to take Mercy for you to have to give back to Arachnos or maintain such an open presence in Nerva though, I have no idea beyond plot armored mobs for the PCs to fight.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to change and to but in first line of last paragraph and add lines in parenthesis.

20 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I'm not against booting Longbow out of the Isles, but since Longbow is supposed to be the active deterrent force of Freedom Corps and the Rogue Isles are still technically US territory or unclaimed territory adjacent to the US in the eyes of the world nations in the game from my understanding, it kind of makes sense for them to engage in expeditionary actions against Arachnos. (Now, the missions in the Isles where the PPD invade? That makes no damn sense.) How they managed to take Mercy for you to have to give back to Arachnos or maintain such an open presence in Nerva though, I have no idea beyond plot armored mobs for the PCs to fight.

Rogue Isles are not US Territory.  The HCWiki has quite a bit of material from original City of Villains sources.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Rogue_Isles

Points of note:  (bolding is mine)

• The main cluster of the group, home to Spider City, is at the 50 mile marker, outside US. jurisdiction. From there the smaller islands string toward the US coast.
    • MTeague note:  Nerva is at the far northwest of the Rogue Isles and clearly outside any such official jurisdiction
  • When Statesman appeared in Paragon City, many of the villains there decided they needed a new home. The Rogue Isles was an obvious choice. Many already had connections there and the little nation’s “friendly” attitude made it a perfect choice. President Oakes was no fool. He knew that if he resisted these newcomers with their gangs and occasional superpowers things would not turn out well. But at the same time, he had bargaining chips – citizenship, diplomatic immunity, and other protections from American justice. And he had friends in the high places of America who were happy with the Rogue Isles just as they were. Deals were struck – in exchange for “playing nice” and taxes, the government turned a blind eye – and the Rogue Isles became a haven for the super-powered and evil.

Okay, how about the other half of what I said? About the Isles being US adjacent and not possessing any government recognized by the nations of the world? Anyway, this is taking us further off topic. Thank you for the correction.

In terms of lore, I'd like to see them finish reconstructing Boomtown, or at LEAST have Boomtown advance to something like present-day Faultline. 

Original Faultline was just a complete wasteland of destruction.

Now, the northern end has been rebuilt, and there's donut shops, apartment complexes, parking garages, offices, etc.

The middle area is still being rebuilt. Some areas more than others, but signs of progress.

I'd really like to see Boomtown get more of that. I mean, sure the devatation was pretty bad, but they've had Decades now. 

That said, I get that a Boomtown revamp is quite a project. 

By contrast Galaxy City, is already *there* in the Echo zone. It could, in theory, be plopped back into regular existence at any time. Some minor work to re-establish the connecting highways / open the War Doors, etc. It would probably be vastly simpler to put Galaxy City back in, and maybe transplant a few contacts / trainers here and there.  And there's a great deal more nostalgia for it, I would guess, among most players vs Boomtown. So from a practicality / reward for effort, maybe Galaxy City wins.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:02 PM, TheZag said:

its still full of shivans.

So open it back up a shivan filled hazard zone!

On 2/4/2022 at 11:36 AM, srmalloy said:

I expect that any reopening of Galaxy City would have to wait for the availability of art resources to create a 'bombed out' version of the zone as a hazard zone to set the missions in.

Yeah, a Hazard zone. With like meteors crashed into stuff and Shivans running around.

On 2/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, TheZag said:

The giant shivan was pushed back into the pit at half health,  not defeated.

And the Hazard zone would have at least one Giant Shivan!

On 2/3/2022 at 11:45 PM, Rudra said:

what is left of Galaxy City is mostly held by Arachnos trying to recover and study the Shivan meteors per the Hearts of Darkness arcs and the Shining Stars arcs.

Yeah. And Archnos are running around there too ...and you know if they are there, then Longbow might be involved as well. 

It could be a co-op zone .... maybe even for new level 50+ content focused around the Shivan invasion/infestation...

On 2/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, TheZag said:

Yeah, shivans running around.

They have to be stopped!

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.