What comic book character can you NOT create?

Oklahoman

What comic book character (hero, villain, or in between) do you feel like you cannot closely approximate in the game right now?

The first that comes to my mind is Beast Boy, though a squid does has a shapechanging ability, I guess.

• Like 1

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

There are so many.

I remember, when The Incredibles came out shortly after City of Heroes was released, how simple and unimaginative CoH powers seemed compared to those in the movie.

• Elastigirl has no in-game analogue at all.
  • Violet could be a bubbler with invisibility, but force fields that enemies (and objects) bounce off of have so many more uses than mere +def fields. 
  • Dash's only real power is super speed, but he can use it to hit people really fast and run on water; in CoH, it's just a travel power with a (comparatively) mild attack rate bump.  (Super Speed is one of the powersets that really pales in comparison to what it means in the comics—compare it to the Flash, for example, where super speed also means phasing through walls, traveling through time (and royally screwing up timelines in the process), etc.)
  • Frozone would probably be an ice blaster, but here again, you've got things like using the ice blast as a travel power (creating a snow pile and sliding down it, for example).  
  • Mr. Incredible is the only one who could easily be reproduced in game, and that's because he's your basic "big, strong, and tough" hero.  But even here, I don't think anyone in CoH can take out a helicopter by throwing a car.

You could plausibly make a CoH version of every one of those characters except Elastigirl, but I think the CoH mechanics would make for poor copies of everyone except Mr. Incredible.

• Like 1

The Tick.  In my opinion, the greatest superhero to ever don tights,  

Really, this applies to any super hero who is super strength and not a raging hulk monster with manic depressive states.  So, actually very few super strength characters can be approximated well in CoH.  Even the Hulk did not go through depressive cycles.  Unless every time Rage drops you want to alt costume him into Banner....

But the "Diaper and Binky" crowd whined loud and long about the fix to Super Strength and the Devs caved like an unsure what to do freshman.  So....unless you like you Super Strength characters Raging with Depressive Cycles you are SOL in COH.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The Tick.  In my opinion, the greatest superhero to ever don tights,  

Really, this applies to any super hero who is super strength and not a raging hulk monster with manic depressive states.  So, actually very few super strength characters can be approximated well in CoH.  Even the Hulk did not go through depressive cycles.  Unless every time Rage drops you want to alt costume him into Banner....

But the "Diaper and Binky" crowd whined loud and long about the fix to Super Strength and the Devs caved like an unsure what to do freshman.  So....unless you like you Super Strength characters Raging with Depressive Cycles you are SOL in COH.

Invulnerability is "nigh" to the Tick's primary powerset.

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Ms. Marvel, Moonstone, Wasp, Invisible Woman, Wonder Woman, Raven, Bumblebee, Green Lantern, Arsenal, Huntress, any of the Bat-Family, any of the Spider-Family, Cannonball, Marrow, Husk, Dust, Armor, Polaris...

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

14 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Ms. Marvel, Moonstone, Wasp, Invisible Woman, Wonder Woman, Raven, Bumblebee, Green Lantern, Arsenal, Huntress, any of the Bat-Family, any of the Spider-Family, Cannonball, Marrow, Husk, Dust, Armor, Polaris...

Invisible Woman is arguably an Illusion/Force Field Controller.  Wonder Woman is an Invulnerability/SS Tanker.  Arsenal and Huntress are Archery/Tactical Arrow Blasters.  Most of the Bat-Family are Street Justice/Ninjitsu Scrappers or Stalkers.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Wonder Woman is an Invulnerability/SS Tanker

She's highly trained and skilled using many instruments.  She's not just some uncouth Invuln/Super Strength tank, that's what the not so complex Superman is for. 

I see her more as a Shield tank trained to be able to dodge all manners of attacks and highly resistant to everything, plus Shield Charge is fun and totally something she'd utilize.  As for her assault I see Street Justice her main fighting style without a sword.  Its a debilitating and effective fluid fighting style with some mean looking strikes that she would have no problem using to make short work of a fight.  

Totally a SD/StJ tank!

• Thumbs Up 3

Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Tick are all being thrown out as Inv/SS Tanks.  Okay.  Which one of these has the worst Rage Issues and combat stopping depressive cycles?  (The Tick usually stops combat due to confusion, not depression)

30 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Most of the Bat-Family are Street Justice/Ninjitsu Scrappers or Stalkers.

Sure, you can get a reasonable Batman facsimile with an SJ/Nin stalker, at least in terms of the fighting style and the uncanny hiding ability.  But the Batarang?  The Bat-grapple?  The Batmobile, Batcycle, Batcopter?   Okay, maybe many of these are Silver Age add-ons and not absolutely necessary to really "being" the Bat, but the grapple as a mode of transportation is a pretty big part of the character, IMO.  And the character really does suffer from CoH's lack of a "Vehicles" travel power. 

Edited by Zhym
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Tick are all being thrown out as Inv/SS Tanks.  Okay.  Which one of these has the worst Rage Issues and combat stopping depressive cycles?  (The Tick usually stops combat due to confusion, not depression)

Rage isn't mandatory.  I didn't take it in my Superman blatant ripoff homage build.

Edited by Zhym
  • Like 1

Kitty Pryde immediately comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Invisible Woman is arguably an Illusion/Force Field Controller.  Wonder Woman is an Invulnerability/SS Tanker.  Arsenal and Huntress are Archery/Tactical Arrow Blasters.  Most of the Bat-Family are Street Justice/Ninjitsu Scrappers or Stalkers.

See above post about Invisible Woman. 

Wonder Woman's lasso, sword, and shield either don't exist or can't be used together. 

Arsenal has a robot arm full of guns and explosives. 

Huntress has a crossbow. 

The Bat-Family use grapples, bolas, tasers, smoke grenades and other shit that doesn't exist. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

A few more characters where you could make a decent version but couldn't do a signature power:

Captain America: Can't throw his mighty shield.

Rogue: The Carol Danvers powers are easy enough, but her power doesn't exist.

Gambit: Maybe a staff scrapper with Exploding Shuriken from the one epic pool, but that's a long wait for a not-that-good version of throwing exploding playing cards. A thrown explosives blaster with a staff-based secondary would be better.

Any shapeshifter: You can do a low-budget version with costumes, but you can only have ten at once, which limits spontaneity and flexibility.

Also, Jamie Madrox. No, Phantom Army doesn't count.

• Thumbs Up 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

52 minutes ago, Aurora_Girl said:

See above post about Invisible Woman. 

Wonder Woman's lasso, sword, and shield either don't exist or can't be used together. 

Arsenal has a robot arm full of guns and explosives. 

Huntress has a crossbow. 

The Bat-Family use grapples, bolas, tasers, smoke grenades and other shit that doesn't exist. 

Wonder Woman - Shield/Broadsword Tanker with Web Envelope from Mace Mastery.  Web Envelope isn't exactly a lasso, but the effects are the same.

Arsenal - Okie, Archery/Devices Blaster then. :classic_tongue:

No grapples, but Ninjitsu Stalkers get a power called Smoke Flash and another called Blinding Powder.  Weapon Mastery will give Shurikens for that classic Batarang.

Powers in a video game need to be precisely defined and operate within the rigid mechanical context of the game. Hit points, endurance, holds, buffs and debuffs, and so forth.

Powers in comics tend to be more free form, and limited only by the writers imagination, willing adherence to the setting background, and the ability of artists to draw.

Edit: I'll add the game's environment is basically immutable as well. You may be super strong, but you can't lift a chair or punch through a wall unless it's been set there in advance anticipation for you.

Edited by Andreah
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Zhym said:

Sure, you can get a reasonable Batman facsimile with an SJ/Nin stalker, at least in terms of the fighting style and the uncanny hiding ability.  But the Batarang?  The Bat-grapple?  The Batmobile, Batcycle, Batcopter?   Okay, maybe many of these are Silver Age add-ons and not absolutely necessary to really "being" the Bat, but the grapple as a mode of transportation is a pretty big part of the character, IMO.  And the character really does suffer from CoH's lack of a "Vehicles" travel power. 

/Weapon Mastery stalker (or scrapper if youre feeling spicy) offers you ranged weapons that mimic batarangs decently, though, they lack the ABSOLUTE utility of batarangs - you can cheat those utilities back in with procs that do some CC or debuffs. That's like, literally what I flavor them as on my "wealthy billonaire who dresses like a psycho and beats on people they dont like" character, who is definitely NOT Batman™️ or Ironman™️ or Manticore™️

Shuiken

• Devastation: Chance for Hold
  • Winter's Bite: Chance for -Speed, -Rech
  • Tempest: Chance for Endurance Drain
  • Decimation: Chance for Build-Up
  • Entropic Chaos: Chance for self heal

Explosive Shuriken

• Frozen Blast: Change for Immobolize
  • Annilation: Chance for -res
  • Ragnarock: Chance for knockdown

Now, that's not as cool as your average batarang? But it's there. I don't have Web Grenade on me, but assumedly it can take Immobilize sets? So means it can take a chance for disorient AND a chance for hold, so thats another way to simulate batarangs in terms of like, flash bombs or anything that could restrain a thug entirely. I do personally think it should be WIDE area web grenade, because single target web grenades are much, MUCH lamer and especially lame for an ancilaary power set you need to wait for OVER half the leveling life of a character to get... but I digress.

They arent even bad powers, like, theyre not godly but peppering them in rarely hurts your strings, since their animations arent even all that slow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby