What comic book character can you NOT create?

Oklahoman

On 3/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, GM Crumpet said:

Superman started with laser eyes, super strength and super jump. 

Actually, Action #1 Superman didn't have any vision powers either.  His X-ray vision was introduced later, & the original explanation for his eye beams when they were first utilized was that they were generated by "the heat of his X-ray vision".  Heat vision would only be recognized as a separate part of his power suite later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

OK, for the record. I do not want to make this toon but D.C comics had a character called "Matter Eater Lad" who had the POWER to consume all forms of Matter Nor can I create Captain Boomerang who actually has the ability to bend himself into a boomerang shape and hurl himself at people!   I Magine a Power set that just allows you to consume any type of matter! That would include gas station corndogs and other heroes. WAIT i also cannot create Dr Stranges enemy VOLTORG!

1. If you want to punish yourself read about these guys lol

48 minutes ago, Enchantica said:

OK, for the record. I do not want to make this toon but D.C comics had a character called "Matter Eater Lad" who had the POWER to consume all forms of Matter Nor can I create Captain Boomerang who actually has the ability to bend himself into a boomerang shape and hurl himself at people!   I Magine a Power set that just allows you to consume any type of matter! That would include gas station corndogs and other heroes. WAIT i also cannot create Dr Stranges enemy VOLTORG!

I had a character like that in a PnP Marvel game a loooonnggg time ago, had Adaptive Digestion amongst other things and could gain nutritional value from pretty much anything, couldn't taste a thing though. Called him 'Cast Iron'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

51 minutes ago, Enchantica said:

Aw, Matter Eater Lad is great.    A lot of the Legion Characters are a little dicey, though if you go into Substitute, or any of the stories where they would have tryouts with some characters that were not the A list...

Arm Falloff Lad.   Though he could be a Mace/WP if there was a way to have a arm as a weapon.

I do have an Infectious Lass tribute character.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, Snarky said:

The Tick.  In my opinion, the greatest superhero to ever don tights

Agreed, except insofar as we aren't sure he's wearing anything. He could be running around naked as far as we know!

(In fact the Amazon series played into this, showing him molting parts off. And also had the fun bit where most of the first episode he seems to be Arthur's imaginary friend!)

Also, as someone said, he doesn't need Rage! I figure his only travel power is Combat Jumping, with the Crumble travel aura.

And he clearly skipped all the Psi-hole mitigation options!

• Like 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

10 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Agreed, except insofar as we aren't sure he's wearing anything. He could be running around naked as far as we know!

(In fact the Amazon series played into this, showing him molting parts off. And also had the fun bit where most of the first episode he seems to be Arthur's imaginary friend!)

Also, as someone said, he doesn't need Rage! I figure his only travel power is Combat Jumping, with the Crumble travel aura.

And he clearly skipped all the Psi-hole mitigation options!

Fully agree and love the insights.  Except….especially in the animated series I believe he was susceptible to confusion and had some realllllly wacky psi episodes.  He might not be “damage hole” susceptible, but the Tick, while “strong willed” is pretty easily spin completely around

• Like 1

Oh, absolutely! Between Mr. Mind and "I, Arthur" he almost never met a mental challenge he couldn't fail.

Arthur was the brains of the team, for sure!

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

There is one. The character called himself "The Black Hole", as somehow, when "a grain of dwarf star matter" fell to the Earth into his chest, he was somehow able to open his chest and suck objects or people into it, transporting them/it into a pocket dimension. 

Can you just imagine the indigestion? Opening your chest wide and absorbing an Avatar of Hamidon into your chest? 

For those curious, I stumbled across this character reading my brother's Howard the Duck comics. Very strange character, that duck. 
Probably couldn't reproduce Howard, either, but he couldn't really be considered a superhero, I don't think. 

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Flaming Carrot

Damn, I was just coming here to post that.

• Microphone 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Plastic Man, Mr. Fantastic, the Elongated Man, any other stretching character - no stretching power set.

Beast Boy or any other shapeshifting character - shapeshifting is strictly limited, basically only Kheldians who don't match pretty much any comic book character.

Ant Man, Atom, Tom Thumb, Giant Man, Mount Lady, any other size changer - no growth or shrinking powers.

Flash, Quicksilver, any other speedster - the Speed pool doesn't include hardly any of the powers that comic book speedsters typically have, many of which would be completely game breaking anyway. Like time travel, phasing through solid objects, travel to other dimensions, and the like.

Iron Man, Reed Richards, any other genius inventor - inventors are mostly strong because of their ability to constantly change their powers to something often completely different and specialized against a particular foe. Thus, they really won't work in a game where you need to commit to limited power sets at character creation.

Doctor Strange, Doctor Fate, any other powerful mage - See inventors. Mages gain and lose powers to match the plot of the comic book they're in, doesn't fit a game like CoH.

If they haven't already been mentioned:  Green Lantern (DC), Quasar (Marvel), and anyone else with the ability to make energy constructs.

Deadman (DC), Karma (Marvel), and anyone else that can take direct control of others' bodies (not just cause confusion or paralysis).

Hector Hammond (DC), MODOK (Marvel), Too Much Coffee Man...  because the lack of appropriate head/body options:

78989-76204-too-much-coffee-man.jpg