Is Blaster the AT with the most buttons ?

ZEdglord

Hi all, first post here.

Basically title. I'm a big fan of MMO's like Everquest 2 or Lord of the Rings Online, where you have a bazillion abilities in your hotbars.

Now, I know COH obviously isn't this, and I'm well aware of that fact, and I'm not trying to make it into something it isn't. I was however curious to know if Blaster is the closest to "having a million buttons" you can get. If it is not, I'd be happy to hear what is !

(PS : I know Masterminds have a lot to deal with but in terms of buttons they themselves press it's a bit too little for my taste... but maybe I just didn't make the right build yet.)

You can have too many attacks to worry about so that you might want to focus on a certain combo in melee/aoe/or at range.

However, you tend to have only one job to worry about. I know I've had too much to think about on some Controller/Mastermind/Defender builds.

Thanks for D-Sync Enhancements! Just wish things like Resist/End, Heal/End and Damage/Mez had a third stat that made them more viable. Suggestions - add Recharge to Ribosomes, Range to Golgis, and Slows to Peroxisomes. These changes would allow for an endurance cost/range, recharge/endurance, and slow/mez or slow/damage enhancements.

Welcome to City of Heroes!! 

Yes, Blasters generally have a lot.  You have your primary for attacks and your secondary is more attacks & utility powers to help keep you somewhat alive.  Strong offense is best defense!!

But still, a properly played Mastermind would have even more buttons (in addition to Primary/secondary/pool powers) with all the command macros you would want to make for proper command of your minions.  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

Welcome to City of Heroes!! 

Yes, Blasters generally have a lot.  You have your primary for attacks and your secondary is more attacks & utility powers to help keep you somewhat alive.  Strong offense is best defense!!

But still, a properly played Mastermind would have even more buttons (in addition to Primary/secondary/pool powers) with all the command macros you would want to make for proper command of your minions.  

Wouldn't you just want one for "attack this target", and the ones to change into Offense/Defensive mode ? What others would you need ?

17 minutes ago, Rejolt said:

You can have too many attacks to worry about so that you might want to focus on a certain combo in melee/aoe/or at range.

However, you tend to have only one job to worry about. I know I've had too much to think about on some Controller/Mastermind/Defender builds.

I can handle it. I don't mind having what one would consider "too many buttons" !

8 hours ago, ZEdglord said:

Wouldn't you just want one for "attack this target", and the ones to change into Offense/Defensive mode ? What others would you need ?

Oh, there are SO many that you would want.  Aggressive, Defensive, Passive, Goto, Stay, Follow, and many many more.  You'll want them for each minion, group of minions, and all of them.  

The thread in the link below is just a GLIMPSE into what a Mastermind's trays might be like.  Search for other Mastermind guides and command lists and you'll find how involved and complicated it can get - to properly play one, that is.  🙂 

• Like 1

My Ill/Storm troller has a lot of buttons, but a tri-form Kheld is probably the most complex (if you build it that way). I have so many keybinds on my Kheld that it feels simple even while doing a lot.

If you want to be busy, you may also want to try a secondary-focused corrupter...

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

5 hours ago, Zepp said:

My Ill/Storm troller has a lot of buttons, but a tri-form Kheld is probably the most complex (if you build it that way). I have so many keybinds on my Kheld that it feels simple even while doing a lot.

If you want to be busy, you may also want to try a secondary-focused corrupter...

I was interested in Kheldians but they felt quite weak and fragile early game... guess I must have thought wrong ! Look like big fun though.

5 hours ago, Zepp said:

I wanted to try a controller but their damage output seems quite weak... maybe I thought wrong ?

6 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

Oh, there are SO many that you would want.  Aggressive, Defensive, Passive, Goto, Stay, Follow, and many many more.  You'll want them for each minion, group of minions, and all of them.  

The thread in the link below is just a GLIMPSE into what a Mastermind's trays might be like.  Search for other Mastermind guides and command lists and you'll find how involved and complicated it can get - to properly play one, that is.  🙂 

I'll look through that ! Thanks for the tip.

16 hours ago, Omega Force said:

If not blasters, then dominators.  I can't think of a dom that even has an in-set toggle.  Kheldians and /Kin corruptors are up there, as well.

Ice control > Arctic Air

Electric control > Conductive Aura

Fire control > Hot Feet

Earth assault > Mud Pots

Icy assault > Chilling Embrace 

Aside from those exceptions Dominator are pretty darned clicky.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you like button pushing you are a few years too late.  There was a time when most buffing powers needed to be applied to every team mate and minion individually. Just think about how many buffs a level 50 force field mastermind on an eight man team would need to cast   It wasn't the number of abilities so much but needing to click just one shield up to 14 times.   

Those were the days. Good times.  

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, ZEdglord said:

My entire numpad is mapped out for MM pet controls, lol.

Edit: Also, I try to play my MM's as actively as possible. I do sometimes take the personal attacks, and secondaries like /ElecAff are very busy with quite a few buttons to mash nearly as soon as they're off CD.

Edited by TygerDarkstorm

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

Oh.... what about a Regen Scrapper? That can get very clicky!

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

6 minutes ago, Zepp said:

Oh.... what about a Regen Scrapper? That can get very clicky!

I was gonna say regen for melee. add in some epics, accolades, incarnates and it is busy.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 4/21/2022 at 12:11 PM, ZEdglord said:

I'm a big fan of MMO's like Everquest 2

We do not talk about EQ's sophisticated but evil twin.  EQ was a superior product still running stong after 24 years, in an aged and senior citizen way.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

1 hour ago, Outrider_01 said:

We do not talk about EQ's sophisticated but evil twin.  EQ was a superior product still running stong after 24 years, in an aged and senior citizen way.

Sadly the UI and interface haven't been updated at all. It's a nightmare.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:09 PM, TNT said:

If you like button pushing you are a few years too late.  There was a time when most buffing powers needed to be applied to every team mate and minion individually. Just think about how many buffs a level 50 force field mastermind on an eight man team would need to cast   It wasn't the number of abilities so much but needing to click just one shield up to 14 times.   

Those were the days. Good times.  

Sounds both fun and kinda awful at the same time !