Jump to content

She-Hulk: Attorney At Law


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

Initial thoughts: ohhh yes. Yes please. INJECT THIS RIGHT NOW INTO MY EYEBALLS.

 

Deeper thoughts:

Spoiler
  • You knew Tatiana was going to nail this, didn't you? COME ON, GURL!
  • The ...Attorney At Law tagline sounds like a callback to Cartoon Network's Harvey Birdman, and I have a feeling from the trailer and the description (legal comedy per Boston Legal, but set in the MCU) they've borrowed a tiny bit of the same vibe. I would like this. There's also already an online petition for a Harvey cameo, but that might be a bit of a stretch. (Would have to be Jon Hamm.)
  • It looks like one of her clients is Tim Roth / The Abomination, which was a surprise to me but will provide one hell of a foil. Roth's extremely good value for comedy. As will Ruffalo.
  • I don't know if there will be actual fourth-wall breaking, but there is clearly snark.
  • Also don't know if they're still working on it, but one or two shots of the CGI look a wee bit ropey - unless it's intentionally cartoony, since Bruce looks as high-finish as usual.
  • There is also the suggestion of... erm... well, She-Hulk's appetites are well known, but I'm surprised they've made their way to D+.
  • All in all this looks like a whole lot of fun and very much up to expectations. Because they wouldn't want to make me angry.
    They wouldn't... okay, they probably wouldn't worry too much but for once I'm 100% sold without reservations. Please be good.

 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Responding to...

Deeper thoughts:

  Hide contents
  • You knew Tatiana was going to nail this, didn't you? COME ON, GURL!
  • The ...Attorney At Law tagline sounds like a callback to Cartoon Network's Harvey Birdman, and I have a feeling from the trailer and the description (legal comedy per Boston Legal, but set in the MCU) they've borrowed a tiny bit of the same vibe. I would like this. There's also already an online petition for a Harvey cameo, but that might be a bit of a stretch. (Would have to be Jon Hamm.)
  • It looks like one of her clients is Tim Roth / The Abomination, which was a surprise to me but will provide one hell of a foil. Roth's extremely good value for comedy. As will Ruffalo.  Roth in Rosencrantz And Gildenstern Are Dead absolutely nailed his comedy role.  The tennis court scene still cracks me up.  I also thought he was dynamite in Lie To Me.  Roth really deserves more screen time as his MCU character.
  • I don't know if there will be actual fourth-wall breaking, but there is clearly snark.
  • Also don't know if they're still working on it, but one or two shots of the CGI look a wee bit ropey - unless it's intentionally cartoony, since Bruce looks as high-finish as usual.  That's a good point, and a bit concerning.  In Infinity War, they handed out the CGI work to different studios, and it really, really shows.  Banner's CGI'ed appearance in the Hulkbuster suit was apparently done by the B-team, and it was flat and unimpressive. Not something you really want in the biggest blockbuster (to that date) in your arsenal.  Let's hope they didn't repeat that mistake.
  • There is also the suggestion of... erm... well, She-Hulk's appetites are well known, but I'm surprised they've made their way to D+.
  • All in all this looks like a whole lot of fun and very much up to expectations. Because they wouldn't want to make me angry.
    They wouldn't... okay, they probably wouldn't worry too much but for once I'm 100% sold without reservations. Please be good.

 

 

I've never followed the She-Hulk storyline closely, but I could have sworn she always remained green, and didn't go back and forth.  Was that actually so in the comics, even if perhaps for a time?

Has it been publicly stated whether they're bringing The Leader back or not?  I'd heard rumors a while back that Red Hulk would soon appear in the MCU, and it was assumed he'd be in She-Hulk, but with the death of the actor, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Techwright said:

 

I've never followed the She-Hulk storyline closely, but I could have sworn she always remained green, and didn't go back and forth.  Was that actually so in the comics, even if perhaps for a time?

 

It changed throughout the comics.  She didn't change personalities when she transformed, so she stayed green for a long time because she saw no reason to switch to her smaller form.   But she could change back and did sometimes (to slip through the bars of a cage in one comic).  But then she got a treatment that prevented her from changing to her pink form at some point as well.

 

---

 

It looks like the first Disney+ marvel show that is intended to be fun without being crazy weird (wandavision).  I suspect I will like it.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one of the fun things I can see in the trailer is Jen becoming comfortable in both green and pink skin - something that I can very much relate to.

 

Smaller notes:

  • Frog-Man? Client, nemesis... love interest?
  • Benedict Wong (not shown, but listed on the cast) seems to be the hardest working sorcerer in showbusiness...
  • ...and if he's been portalling the Abomination out for fight clubs, he might be in a spot of bother as well.
  • Any idea what the rather lovely Blade Runner-esque prison building is? Could be the Vault, but it seems a little expensive and full of easily breakable glass for a supermax full of supervillains.
  • I don't think we've seen Titania/Jameela Jamil yet, but expecting giant-sized Mean Girling. With some glee.
  • Rumours: the menacing group of Skuls in the early shot are perennial losers The Wrecking Crew. Good trainer punchbag villains for a low-level super.
  • But it's not all fluff. From the mildly obsessive lookups I've been doing this morning, there's a lot that feeds into Secret Wars - which I suspect is the core of Phase 4 in the same way as Infinity Wars.
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I absolutely loved John Byrne's run on She-Hulk back in the day.  Looks like D+ is drawing on the humor from that series for this.  Looks like it will be a lot of fun!  High hopes for this.  Hope it does not stink like Moon Knight.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like they nailed the 'Sex and the City'-esque aspects (which, given the comedic tone of the show, was probably the best bet to highlight for a trailer) and it's a Marvel series so it'll definitely have some solid superhero action. If the courtroom stuff ends up along the lines of 'Law & Order: MCU' then I think they'll have captured all the right elements for a She-Hulk series imo.

 

Also, it's been a long road but I'm glad Marvel's getting live-action content that reflects the casual side of the comics. Superhero stuff just being so prominent in-setting by now that it's a part of everyday life and not only dealing with 'Big Supervillain Threats' (or massive amounts of drama/traumatic experiences). It's a nice change of pace compared to the other series so far!

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, El D said:

Superhero stuff just being so prominent in-setting by now that it's a part of everyday life and not only dealing with 'Big Supervillain Threats' (or massive amounts of drama/traumatic experiences).

 

As other folks have mentioned online, if that's SHIELD's version of The Zig... big, innit? 

Just how many superfreaks are out there?

 

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way things are presented in the trailer, but is the implication that she undergoes the procedure voluntarily, instead of the emergency blood transfusion from Banner in the comics?  If so, then why the later comment of just wanting to be a normal random lawyer?  She also seems to have a low opinion of superheroes, but is in the business of defending them?  I hope we getting a better insight into things...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

 

As other folks have mentioned online, if that's SHIELD's version of The Zig... big, innit? 

Just how many superfreaks are out there?

 

 

By this point, I bet quite a few! Especially if Marvel continues the trend of finally not killing them off in the movies/series that introduce them. <.<

 

1 hour ago, biostem said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way things are presented in the trailer, but is the implication that she undergoes the procedure voluntarily, instead of the emergency blood transfusion from Banner in the comics?  If so, then why the later comment of just wanting to be a normal random lawyer?  She also seems to have a low opinion of superheroes, but is in the business of defending them?  I hope we getting a better insight into things...

 

AFAIK she still gets an emergency blood transfusion from him - at least, that's what other plot synopsis posts have said online. Lines up with Hulk's comment of 'I know you didn't ask for this, but you still got to deal with it.' Taking a guess, I'd say that shot of the car crashing off the road in the beginning of the trailer might be a 'quick origin' as the explanation of why she needed the transfusion. That way they can just jump into Jennifer dealing with Hulking Out.

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, El D said:

AFAIK she still gets an emergency blood transfusion from him - at least, that's what other plot synopsis posts have said online. Lines up with Hulk's comment of 'I know you didn't ask for this, but you still got to deal with it.' Taking a guess, I'd say that shot of the car crashing off the road in the beginning of the trailer might be a 'quick origin' as the explanation of why she needed the transfusion. That way they can just jump into Jennifer dealing with Hulking Out.

So the shot of her in the chamber/room with what appears to be some sort of headgear or apparatus is after the fact, then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, biostem said:

So the shot of her in the chamber/room with what appears to be some sort of headgear or apparatus is after the fact, then?

 

I'd wager so. Banner being a sort of 'Mentor Hulk' after they find out she can change, wanting to help her learn how to control it. Tracks with his character arc too - he never had anyone helping him with a fancy test lab (so he understands how poorly going it alone could end up) and it's the kind of support he's uniquely qualified to give. xD

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Rockstars theory is: Banner talks about the infinity glove having a lot of gamma radiation.  The snap hits everyone.  Jennifer may get her hulk powers from Hulk doing the snap to bring people back.  She first manifests the power when she is in the car accident.  Then Banner helps her learn to control her power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DougGraves said:

New Rockstars theory is: Banner talks about the infinity glove having a lot of gamma radiation.  The snap hits everyone.  Jennifer may get her hulk powers from Hulk doing the snap to bring people back.  She first manifests the power when she is in the car accident.  Then Banner helps her learn to control her power.

I saw that.  I'm not convinced...yet.   I'd expect a lot more gamma-infused beings than just her, even if the family DNA is to blame.  Though...this might also be the way that characters like Doc Samson get into the mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

Though...this might also be the way that characters like Doc Samson get into the mix.

 

That would make sense to me.  They are changing the origin of characters.  So the wrecking crew might be gamma powered, Titania might be gamma powered, etc.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later

Not Shulkie-related, but apparently Marvel's X-Men debut is going to be titled "The Mutants", because "X-Men" is "outdated".
Fires expectations into the Sarlacc Pit...

  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

New SDCC trailer just dropped:

Spoiler
  • CGI's been cleaned up a lot and is a little less 'toony.
  • Fourth-wall breaking is in effect (though taking a leaf from Fleabag, other characters seem to occasionally be aware she's doing it.)
  • First look at Jameela's Titania. That should be fun.
  • Key theme being introduced: Bruce is actively jealous that cuz has it under control.
    (Writerly opinion, no idea if they'll go with it: Hulking out just magnifies what you already are. Bruce was always a bit of a hot mess to begin with, so Bruce-Hulk was a mess. Professor Hulk is more at peace with himself. Jen is much more together to start with: She-Hulking is just one more thing to deal with, but does come with unexpected benefits.)
  • Wong gets around a lot. Interesting that he's morphing into the MCU's "conscience".
  • And then of course there's the tail sting, which makes an awful lot of sense - and again, gives you a lot of possible themes to play with. They're not necessarily an ally, and that might be much more fun...

 

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

 

New SDCC trailer just dropped:

  Hide contents
  • CGI's been cleaned up a lot and is a little less 'toony.
  • Fourth-wall breaking is in effect (though taking a leaf from Fleabag, other characters seem to occasionally be aware she's doing it.)
  • First look at Jameela's Titania. That should be fun.
  • Key theme being introduced: Bruce is actively jealous that cuz has it under control.
    (Writerly opinion, no idea if they'll go with it: Hulking out just magnifies what you already are. Bruce was always a bit of a hot mess to begin with, so Bruce-Hulk was a mess. Professor Hulk is more at peace with himself. Jen is much more together to start with: She-Hulking is just one more thing to deal with, but does come with unexpected benefits.)
  • Wong gets around a lot. Interesting that he's morphing into the MCU's "conscience".
  • And then of course there's the tail sting, which makes an awful lot of sense - and again, gives you a lot of possible themes to play with. They're not necessarily an ally, and that might be much more fun...

 

I felt it was a much more compelling trailer than the first one, and I'm not talking CGI, though yes, it does look better.

 

The spandex reference was great, and the gamma heroes/villains are the one superpowered group that it makes sense to have spandex outfits.  Oh, and if you're of Hulk's ilk, and if you're going to wear nice clothes, and might have to fight, I suggest investing in a good tailor/seamstress who can discretely hide velcro releases in the seams.

 

EDIT: forgot to add...is this the first time that the 4th wall has been broken in the MCU (not other Marvel-related movies and min-series)?

 

Edited by Techwright
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Techwright said:

is this the first time that the 4th wall has been broken in the MCU (not other Marvel-related movies and min-series)?

The WandaVision 2000s-era episode, which is called... Breaking The Fourth Wall, and nicks heavily from Modern Family's confessional sequences.

There's maybe a couple of DTC glances in previous episodes.

Given it's WV, though, is she really talking to us, talking to herself, or... *chugs headache tablets* ...dammit, too much meta.

 

Anyway, I think it's the first time it's been used in this narration style outside of the Spidey cartoons.

  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The WandaVision 2000s-era episode, which is called... Breaking The Fourth Wall, and nicks heavily from Modern Family's confessional sequences.

There's maybe a couple of DTC glances in previous episodes.

Given it's WV, though, is she really talking to us, talking to herself, or... *chugs headache tablets* ...dammit, too much meta.

 

Anyway, I think it's the first time it's been used in this narration style outside of the Spidey cartoons.

I can see why you have a headache.

 

It just occurred to me that Uatu the Watcher in the MCU's What If...? animated series might be considered to be breaking the Fourth Wall with his narration, assuming he's not just doing some sort of high tech recording making the Watchers his audience.

 

Still, it looks like She-Hulk's 4th Wall antics will perhaps be more memorable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Techwright said:

breaking the Fourth Wall with his narration

I'm not sure on that one, as it's part of the storytelling. Other than the very Twilight Zone intro, I'm trying to think of bits where Uatu speaks directly to us at home.

 

Now I'm wondering...

...given this was specifically written for the D+ platform, I wonder if they could do something a little Bandersnatch-esque with it. Rather than literally breaking off chunks of panel or taking shortcuts through pages of ads, could they mess with the streaming - have Shukie grab control of D+, rewind and try alternate plans, or look ahead at episode titles? I mean, if Doc Strange can get away with it...

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, DougGraves said:

 

It changed throughout the comics.  She didn't change personalities when she transformed, so she stayed green for a long time because she saw no reason to switch to her smaller form.   But she could change back and did sometimes (to slip through the bars of a cage in one comic).  But then she got a treatment that prevented her from changing to her pink form at some point as well.

 

---

 

It looks like the first Disney+ marvel show that is intended to be fun without being crazy weird (wandavision).  I suspect I will like it.

 

 

There has always been a personality change when transformed but it wasn't USUALLY along the lines of the Incredible Hulk, Generally she becomes more extroverted, and less cautious. 

 

Depending on the writer she also becomes aggressive and prone to bouts of anger, rarely to the Hulkish extremes  

 

For example this panel where she goes bezerk and rips The Vision in half ..

 3000q12p6si21.jpg?auto=webp&s=f0388603e1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When they gave her a new Solo run in the early 2000's her book focused on being an Attourney for other Supers, and included a lot of 4th wall leaning/breaking. 

 

It seems this series will have a lot of elements of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...