Base storage suggestion

I was just having a chat with a former player from early in the original game and we were discussing the auction system in the game, and later the storage in bases.  He made an interesting comment.

As I understand things, and please correct me if I'm wrong, within the auction system, certain materials of a same class are pooled together and the bidding covers everything in a given pool.  So if I submit 10 of item A into the AH asking 1000 INF, the AH doesn't see item A, it negates the identity of the item and only sees 10 units in the pool. You might come along and bid 1000 INF for item B, but because they are the same pool the AH interprets the exiting 10 items as what you desired, and you are awarded 10 of item B.   Do I have that correct?

All that to get to the friend's comment:  Could that pool system be applied to the storage racks for materials in supergroup bases?  Rather than wasting space with 10 of this and 5 of that, if they are of the same pool as in the AH, they are stored as pool items and then withdrawn as what we want.  The value remains the same.  I wouldn't pull out a yellow if I put a white in and so forth.    Note that I'm refering to materials, not finished product like IOs.

It makes no sense for the AH to work like that. How would the AH be able to post how many of item A or item B was available in the AH if they were all reduced to a pool? I understand that you are saying each item falls into a group and the group is rendered into the pool, but just looking at enhancements, that doesn't make sense. Each enhancement in a set has its own available count. Checking across same type enhancements (such as DEF/END) for sets in the same group (such as defense buff)? I see a different count for those as well.

I'm not saying the AH does not work like that because I honestly have no way of knowing. Just that from my experience with the AH, it does not seem to work that way.

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

Do I have that correct?

Yes, and it is sometimes referred to as 'bucketing'.

20 minutes ago, Rudra said:

...but just looking at enhancements, that doesn't make sense.

Set IO enhancements (and recipes) are bucketed/pooled by level. If you post a level 10 Bonesnap: Acc/Dam, it goes into the same bucket with all the other possible levels of Bonesnap: Acc/Dam, including attuned. So someone may buy your level 10 enhancement as a level 22, or as an attuned. Common IOs are not bucketed, and I don't think other enhancements like Hami-Os, DOs or SOs are either, but I could be mistaken.

Salvage is bucketed by type (common, uncommon, rare). I can't recall offhand if anything else on the AH is bucketed, but it's entirely possible I am forgetting something.

Edited by AboveTheChemist
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

I was just having a chat with a former player from early in the original game and we were discussing the auction system in the game, and later the storage in bases.  He made an interesting comment.

As I understand things, and please correct me if I'm wrong, within the auction system, certain materials of a same class are pooled together and the bidding covers everything in a given pool.  So if I submit 10 of item A into the AH asking 1000 INF, the AH doesn't see item A, it negates the identity of the item and only sees 10 units in the pool. You might come along and bid 1000 INF for item B, but because they are the same pool the AH interprets the exiting 10 items as what you desired, and you are awarded 10 of item B.   Do I have that correct?

All that to get to the friend's comment:  Could that pool system be applied to the storage racks for materials in supergroup bases?  Rather than wasting space with 10 of this and 5 of that, if they are of the same pool as in the AH, they are stored as pool items and then withdrawn as what we want.  The value remains the same.  I wouldn't pull out a yellow if I put a white in and so forth.    Note that I'm refering to materials, not finished product like IOs.

So add ten Luck Charms, they're read as ten Common Salvage, and when you need a Kinetic Weapon, you pull one Common Salvage and the container automatically converts it to that.  That'd be easy enough to do, just snag the code from the AH and apply it to base storage.

But, the interface would have to be revised to account for it.  All salvage would have to be listed, and a search bar added so we don't have to scroll through the entire list of salvage in the game to get to the one we want.  I'd recommend excluding certain salvage items, like boosters, catalysts, unslotters and super packs, so the container inventory isn't artificially filled with nonstandard salvage and causing confusion ("It says I have 57 salvage items, but it won't let me take a Scientific Theory!"), or leaving an unintentional method of converting one non-standard salvage item to another ("Ha ha, I put in fifty Heroes & Villains packs and pulled out fifty Winter packs!", or "I just turned all of my converters into boosters by dumping them in my base storage."), and creating an entirely new base storage item just for the oddball stuff like that.  That would be safer, less cluttered and easier for players to work with.

• Thumbs Up 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

31 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

Yes, and it is sometimes referred to as 'bucketing'.

Set IO enhancements (and recipes) are bucketed/pooled by level. If you post a level 10 Bonesnap: Acc/Dam, it goes into the same bucket with all the other possible levels of Bonesnap: Acc/Dam, including attuned. So someone may buy your level 10 enhancement as a level 22, or as an attuned. Common IOs are not bucketed, and I don't think other enhancements like Hami-Os, DOs or SOs are either, but I could be mistaken.

Salvage is bucketed by type (common, uncommon, rare). I can't recall offhand if anything else on the AH is bucketed, but it's entirely possible I am forgetting something.

Thanks. That would be why I don't see it.

Edit: Just realized this post could be read sarcastically. This post is not meant to be sarcastic.

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Luminara said:

But, the interface would have to be revised to account for it.  

An excellent point.  Probably not insurmountable, I'm guessing, but it likely would be the major part of the restructuring process.

I'm a little confused. The topic in the tread is "Base storage suggestion", but the discussion seems to be about the Auction House (AH)? I have a suggestion about the bins for the base storage, but I am not sure if it belongs here, somewhere else or if I should start a tread. I was wondering if there can be a change to the amount each bin can hold in the base storages. each type of bin can hold 100 items, enhancements, salvages, inspirations. In my base I have 18 total bins, and this I do believe allows a total of 1800 items you can hold in the base (please correct me if I am wrong). 

Is it possible to change the amount each bin can hold in base storage? Current storage capacity (per bin) is 100 items (enhancement, salvage, inspiration). In my base I have 18 bins total, ,consisting of 11 salvage, 6 enhancement and one inspiration. All salvage bins are sorted by common, uncommon and rare with alphabet designators. I have an unwritten rule currently allowing 10 of each item in bins with Rare being the exception. This result in some bins being full and others with spare space.

I have couple of ideas to offer in this situation:

1. Delegate (link bins together) to allow excess space to a full bin.

2. Or consolidate the amount of bins to less yet more storage capacity (>100) for each.

Ultimately, this could be more customizable to the base needs according to the users. Both ideas could work together tho make storage available it’s easier.

Well at least it's an idea anyway. 🙂 

10 minutes ago, Coffeh said:

2. Or consolidate the amount of bins to less yet more storage capacity (>100) for each.

I don't understand that line. Sorry.

However, I do like the idea of the storage bins just being a combined limit of what is stored. The base can store 0 salvage. You buy a salvage rack. The base can store 100 salvage. You buy another salvage rack. The base can now store 200 salvage. Wash, rinse, repeat for additional racks. And you could use any rack to access any of the salvage in the base's storage.

Don't know how hard that would be to code, but it wouldn't seem to be that different from current set up while still simplifying use.

4 hours ago, Coffeh said:

Ultimately, this could be more customizable to the base needs according to the users. Both ideas could work together tho make storage available it’s easier.

Well at least it's an idea anyway. 🙂 

Not sure what I think of the OP's suggestion, but...

1. I like it for the convenience, but

2. you'd have to "pool" security. If I want all members to be able to use common IOs (or SOs) at one or two tables, but I want members to have some time in (say, after a month they get mid rank, after three they get a higher rank, and get permissions for "better stuff," ) ... I'm not sure if that'd be easier or harder.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, Greycat said:

2. you'd have to "pool" security. If I want all members to be able to use common IOs (or SOs) at one or two tables, but I want members to have some time in (say, after a month they get mid rank, after three they get a higher rank, and get permissions for "better stuff," ) ... I'm not sure if that'd be easier or harder.

The point is to have more options to customize the base salvages. You can still have multiple bins with different permission settings as you like. The idea is simply to make more option available. 

• Thumbs Up 1