Nobody cares if you're a vet

DarkTyger - beyond picking apart subbacultchas comments - what are your thoughts?  Do you think vets should get special treatment, or that their comments are somehow more "right" than others because of their veteran status?  Or that they should be allowed to treat others poorly due to their veteran status?

Of course not, and literally nobody is claiming that they should. However, it does establish a basis of experience with the game when answering questions about mechanics and such. They can still be wrong, true, but it lends some validity to their statement. It's not saying "I'm a vet so I'm automatically right," it's saying "I'm a vet and I've more data on the situation."

I guess I'm a "vet" - I started in Issue 16 - but when I bring that up it's only to talk about powersets I had fun with on the old game and/or to talk about how things have changed (not only between Live and this new I26 world, but on live itself from issues 16-24).

I was never a bleeding-edge player so I would never try to give advice on builds, I just like to talk about the game itself.

Yeah, it can be relevant if someone has played a powerset since launch, or knows the full historical context of a thing that happened or a decision that was made in the past, but everyone's just playing the game and that's fine, regardless of prior experience with it.

DarkTyger - beyond picking apart subbacultchas comments - what are your thoughts?  Do you think vets should get special treatment, or that their comments are somehow more "right" than others because of their veteran status?  Or that they should be allowed to treat others poorly due to their veteran status?

Subbacultchas - I agree with this.  There is too much "vet-waving" in the forums.  As a veteran from Issue 2 to 24, I don't think I've earned anything except my own 8 years of enjoyment.  I'm definitely wrong about things (just look in the forums, I apologize at least every few days).  I have opinions on what is "fun" for me, but it is no more valid than any other persons "fun" opinion.

Where I do think vets, especially forum vets, add value, is by adding historical context to how/why things work the way they do.  We remember why changes were made (even if we didn't agree with them), and we can bring that forward to newer players who through no fault of their own lack that context.

I'm not them, but I'll shoot...

Starting with the last item, some people are jerks and I would have zero issues with someone treating them poorly as a result of their behavior, but no one has any right to treat people poorly as a matter of course, veteran status or not.

The first item?

Of course no one deserves "special treatment" based on veteran status.

Outside of veteran rewards, anyway.

This is, however, sort of a bridge between the second and third items, though.

I covered the third already:  They do not deserve special treatment any more than they are entitled to treat others poorly.

However, getting into the second item, their opinions are probably worth a second look and may, in fact, be "more right" than someone else's.

I mean, Joe Clueless goes to the AT boards looking for ideas on powers and slotting for his X/Y whatever.  Where is the most useful help more likely to come from:  Someone that spent an hour on Hero Builder playing around or someone that had been there and done that and got all the badges?

That's not to say that when you are talking about opinion threads that vet status matters, but I shouldn't have to clarify that, either.

Someone talking about what costume pieces or designs that would like to see?  It doesn't matter how many years you played.

Someone talking about the "best" power and pool choices for a Grav/FF Controller?  I think that vet status could absolutely matter.

But this is also the internet.  People lie.  Someone may think that they can use the "CoX Vet" claim to end conversation while having never played a day before the Homecoming servers came up.

Heck, they may just think that trolling the forums is fun and have never played CoX at all.  Who knows?

That's why nothing should be accepted with blind faith.

That "veteran" build advice may be worth a second look, but players should feel free to disregard it if it doesn't feel right to them.

Maybe just put it in your back pocket and keep it for another day if what you end up doing instead doesn't work.

I care if you're a vet.

If you stuck through the game when glowies didn't make noise, when there was no sidekicking, when the trams were the only way to get around and no shortcuts through oro, pocket D or bases,  then you've got my respect. You helped keep the game alive long enough for it to build a community that refused to let the game die. If those early sufferers hadn't build a community in what was essentially a disease infested swamp of an MMO, then we wouldn't have gotten all the improvements that make the game so great now.

Haven't dealt with the forums too much, but I will absolutely jump on the distinction between "I'm a vet therefor I'm automatically right" vs "I'm a vet and I have more data to work with" bandwagon.  As far as vets actually in game goes, there's something to be said for what is at least half-remembered about the things that make CoH distinct.  For instance, recognizing how the game dances around/laughs at the MMO holy trinity of Tank/DPS/Heals.

Haven't dealt with the forums too much, but I will absolutely jump on the distinction between "I'm a vet therefor I'm automatically right" vs "I'm a vet and I have more data to work with" bandwagon.  As far as vets actually in game goes, there's something to be said for what is at least half-remembered about the things that make CoH distinct.  For instance, recognizing how the game dances around/laughs at the MMO holy trinity of Tank/DPS/Heals.

My primary vet advantage is remembering all the spawn points in mission maps for quantum and void gunners when a Kheldian's around.

I don’t understand what me being a doctor for animals has anything to do with CoH

all those hours with a hand up a cow's arse!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I guess I'm a "vet" - I started in Issue 16 -

I'm shocked your "I started in issue 16" wasn't met with, "Oh yeah? Well I started in issue 5!" followed by another, "Well, I have you both beat, I started in issue 1!" and ultimately (you know every team has a guy who played beta) finished off with *that* guy who says, "Well I played Beta."

:D

Like someone else said I'm an older vet but left the game just as IOs and sets were introduced.  I looked into it briefly but not all that much.  So I'm a vet, yes but probably "newer" to a lot of the things in the game than other vets.

I was in the second wave of beta testers and played to close. I still find things I didn't know. Years of service shouldn't be a badge of honor, it should be a responsibility to lend help where you can and show why the COX community was and is one of the best MMO communities ever.

Although, I do enjoy the vet discount at Infront Steakhouse and El Super Mexicana.

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I don't expect anyone to give a rat's ass about my veteran status. That said, I do have a lot of experience with most things in the game and I've spent quite a bit of time learning about different mechanics so I'm probably more qualified to help people than someone who's new to the game. Still, there are a bunch of things especially when it comes to the last year of CoX I'm unfamiliar with because military didn't provide me ample time to play back then, but I like to look at that as an opportunity to still learn something.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.