Nobody cares if you're a vet

Literally what the subject says, it doesn't much matter to most in this game if you're a veteran of the old game. A lot of us are, I'd even say most of us are, but it doesn't need saying as if it provides prestige or immunity to criticism. I don't think this is a really large issue, but I have noticed it preceding opinions as if it validates them at times.

The only thing I think one should take away from being a veteran to this game, is a desire to provide help to those that are not or are returning casual players. It should be a helping hand at most, and never a bludgeon.

Literally what the subject says, it doesn't much matter to most in this game if you're a veteran of the old game.

By the same token, nobody cares if you don't care that they're a veteran.  ;D

Truth. I could just shorten it to nobody cares, but boy that sounds nihilistic :)

My problem with having played CoX before is that it is shocking how much I have forgotten. I think being new to the game would actually better. Not a day goes by without me saying "Oh yeah, that's how you do that" "that's where she is" or "Drat, I shoulda..."

Literally what the subject says, it doesn't much matter to most in this game if you're a veteran of the old game. A lot of us are, I'd even say most of us are, but it doesn't need saying as if it provides prestige or immunity to criticism. I don't think this is a really large issue, but I have noticed it preceding opinions as if it validates them at times.

The only thing I think one should take away from being a veteran to this game, is a desire to provide help to those that are not or are returning casual players. It should be a helping hand at most, and never a bludgeon.

You misunderstand why its important, the reason is because you knew how amazing the community was then and your helping bringing that back to mmos like this one, it has nothing to do with ego or being better and more to do with the communities like on the rp servers.

You misunderstand why its important, the reason is because you knew how amazing the community was then and your helping bringing that back to mmos like this one, it has nothing to do with ego or being better and more to do with the communities like on the rp servers.

Man, I fully agree with this as a good reason to bring up being a veteran. Well said.

I just wish that were the way it is usually expressed.

My problem with having played CoX before is that it is shocking how much I have forgotten. I think being new to the game would actually better. Not a day goes by without me saying "Oh yeah, that's how you do that" "that's where she is" or "Drat, I shoulda..."

I did a Katie Hannon TF last night. We were halfway through the first mission wiping spawns of witches before we realized that we were doing that because none of us could recall where Mary spawned and were all just following each other hoping that someone else remembered.

Defender Smash!

This. The number of things I have forgotten that I knew, or even worse forgotten that I never knew, is pretty astounding all told.

I did a Katie Hannon TF last night. We were halfway through the first mission wiping spawns of witches before we realized that we were doing that because none of us could recall where Mary spawned and were all just following each other hoping that someone else remembered.

Lol I love this. It makes me imagine a load of elderly heroes bumbling around like Dad’s Army going ‘Don’t panic! It’ll come back to me in a minute!’

XD

I’m one of those Dirty Vets and I absolutely LOVE that I’ve forgotten so much. The other day I was dozing off to sleep and I suddenly remembered Striga. “STRIGA!” I thought, “omg giant mech in a volcano base!”

Ir’s Almost better than it was the first time because I can remember the sense of how awesome the content was, but he details are still awaiting me to experience all over again :)

MCM

I am looking forward to the holidays and falling in love with the game all over again....and saving that annoying baby new year twerp.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

I was on a Synapse TF, and discovered I was getting a negative recharge when being hit by Clockwork. I scratched my head on this one and asked the team, "Do Clockwork have a negative recharge factor to them?"

One individual said, "Yes, it's kind of their thing"

I asked, "Wait, isn't end drain their "thing"?

She said, "Yes, but so is the negative recharge."

I asked, "Since when? I swear I have never noticed that before."

She said, "Since always."

I said, "Wow, been playing this game since issue 1 and I can't believe I have never noticed that before."

So yeah, to me there are tiems when it is okay to mention how long you have been playing this game. But to use your Vet status as an I WIN card for arguments, it's cheap.

It's absolutely about ego as much as it would be with any other community. CoH players are just like any other community out there. The fact that we've met friends here doesn't change that.

Wrong coh attracts a different kind of people especially on blue side its not just like any other community ive played many mmos and especially compared to old days like everquest they are a really big difference thats not about ego lol. Seems your the one who has an issue with it to begin with and really just projecting your own ego.

Man, I fully agree with this as a good reason to bring up being a veteran. Well said.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Just so we are clear, because I hate feeling like I may have agreed partially to something and folks think I signed the whole thing: I think mentioning being a vet in terms of remembering that wonderful community is a fine and dandy thing to do. It was different during it's time, although we still had some of the same issues other communities did, and the current one is more an admixture of both.  But I fully agree with Munkilord too, often when people bring up being a vet it's got a very ego-laden component. It's used to squash dissension, exert some type of privilege, and inform people that you are better or should be respected.

So it's not so much as I missed the point as you initially stated, I fully get that point. It's just not what people mean when they bring it up, on a practical level. I think both of you are right in what you say, and describing slightly different groups with some overlap.

Lol I love this. It makes me imagine a load of elderly heroes bumbling around like Dad’s Army going ‘Don’t panic! It’ll come back to me in a minute!’

XD

I’m one of those Dirty Vets and I absolutely LOVE that I’ve forgotten so much. The other day I was dozing off to sleep and I suddenly remembered Striga. “STRIGA!” I thought, “omg giant mech in a volcano base!”

Ir’s Almost better than it was the first time because I can remember the sense of how awesome the content was, but he details are still awaiting me to experience all over again :)

MCM

Sorry this thread has gone off track and keeping it with the track before I continue the off shoot:

Being a vet is pride in knowing we played the game when it was in it's heyday and we should be helpful to those who are learning that a glorious experience has come back!

Now, to the above quote.. I am REALLY enjoying remembering how much I have forgotten. I KNEW there was a giant robot in a TF somewhere... but totally forgot about Striga.. totally forgot about Ancient Rome even though I spend SO much time there doing ITFs.. I forgot how to get to PI!!! Also, when I stepped back into Pretoria, I was amazed at how sterile the city looked.

There is joy in discovering what you loved all over again.

I am looking forward to the holidays and falling in love with the game all over again....and saving that annoying baby new year twerp.

I took my NP to the Ski Lodge to show her how cool it was, but we couldn’t activate the mission - is it going to be like Live, activates at Christmas?

MCM

Is this really an issue?  How is someone "clobbering" someone else with being a Vet?

Demanding jerks who want you to do things their way and their way only are demanding jerks who want you to do things their way and their way only.  I have not noticed it being limited to new players, old players, or anything.  Some people are just jerks. 

There will be other teams.  Don't stress over it.  Don't discuss it or waste time trying to set the Jerk straight on why you don't like him.

If you don't like the team you are on, leave it.

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

Is this really an issue?  How is someone "clobbering" someone else with being a Vet?

Demanding jerks who want you to do things their way and their way only are demanding jerks who want you to do things their way and their way only.  I have not noticed it being limited to new players, old players, or anything.  Some people are just jerks. 

There will be other teams.  Don't stress over it.  Don't discuss it or waste time trying to set the Jerk straight on why you don't like him.

If you don't like the team you are on, leave it.

I don't want to 'as per my email' to you, but from the OP: "I don't think this is a really large issue, but I have noticed it preceding opinions as if it validates them at times."

So no, it's not the biggest issue, but there are threads right now that contain people using veteran (-hood? -ship?) like that. I've come across it in /help and other chats on the game itself. Being a jerk is not limited to old players, but being a jerk because you're an older play just may be. Otherwise we are in accord, but this is not about by teams, I would boot or leave it. It's more about overall conduct of some older players in public.