What Would Happen If...

Herotu

AI was tweaked in this way;

Instead of automatically aggroing a group when you hit one of them, the following happens;

1. You aggro the one you hit.

2. The rest of the group increase their detection radius by a lot for a time.

The idea is that you get an effect something like ... was it Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor?

What do you think would happen?

Would it make stealthing more interesting?

Would it affect the way you play?

• Thumbs Down 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

It would make squishy single target sets significantly stronger than squishy AoE sets.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense conceptually either, I'd say when someone gets shot/set on fire/frozen/whatever the people around him would tend to notice.

What this team needs is more Defenders

Other games have been about getting single pulls and splitting/controlling enemy groups, but CoH has always been about fighting full spawns all at once.  I really enjoy the gameplay style you're talking about in those other games, but in CoH, that would be a ridiculously slow way to progress.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I think this happens already. From what I've noticed, I'm able to pull a single enemy from a mob without aggro-ing the others. Of course, I can only pull the ones on the outskirts as opposed to the ones in the middle. I'm able to do this with a weak ST attack even when I'm not stealthed or hidden. the bloke runs to me (even when he's standing right next to another bloke). when he gets a certain distance away from the mob, I kill him with stronger attacks. The second he dies, the ones closest to him notice me.

33 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

The second he dies, the ones closest to him notice me.

Then you're whacking him too close to the rest of the spawn; with sufficient distance, he goes down and the rest of the spawn remains oblivious. Even better than hitting a peripheral mob with a low-damage attack, though, is missing a mob with a low-damage attack; if you do that, you're virtually guaranteed to get just that one mob.

@Herotu this is totally how I play some stalkers already. It is fun.

• Like 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

11 hours ago, Herotu said:

AI was tweaked in this way;

Are you talking specifically about melee combat specifically?  The reason I ask is because my ranged characters have been "peeling spawn onions" since I've had ranged characters the way @Six-Six and @srmalloy described.

For melee characters, though, a big part of the fun for me is mixing it up without hesitation.  It's rare that I try to pull, and doing so would seem counter-productive for Brutes.

That said, a full-on re-stealth mechanic (as opposed to a single-target Placate) could be a neat gimmick.

12 hours ago, Psyonico said:

It would make squishy single target sets significantly stronger than squishy AoE sets.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense conceptually either, I'd say when someone gets shot/set on fire/frozen/whatever the people around him would tend to notice.

Ah, that's why I said in the original post that those around him would have increased detection. I mean, the idea is that they would be looking for whatever caused the issue, rather than instantly, magically know it was you.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

12 hours ago, Herotu said:

What do you think would happen?

Would it make stealthing more interesting?

Would it affect the way you play?

I don't think it would change much if anything.  At least not for melee stealthers.  Snipers can already sometimes pick off individual enemies (or at least pull them without the rest of the group), but this is seldom possible in melee.   Even if you changed the group aggro-linking mechanics (however that works exactly now) it's still the case that most spawns are static and don't wander much.   There wouldn't be many opportunities to one-at-a-time take out a whole group the way you can empty an entire fortress in Assassin's Creed, say, without raising a single alarm (which itself is kind of silly when you think about it). 

And the way the game is now, there'd be little incentive to do so anyway.  As noted, this sort of thing would only slow you down.  There's really no reason NOT to attack a whole spawn at once.  If you've dialed up the difficulty to the point where, say, your Stalker can't handle an entire spawn at once, you're still better off turning the difficulty down than attempting to whittle that spawn down one-at-a-time... even if you could do so while retaining stealth the whole way.  It would still be slower experience.  A few might do it for the different gameplay aesthetic... but very few.

I've done single pulls in near melee range using Superior Invisibility. Just be careful of where the mobs are looking and it is not that hard on an Illusion Troller.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation