Community question: Level 2 RP

GM Kal

• Retired Lead Game Master

Community question: 

Level 2 RP

Do you have, or do you know any folks that have a RP character they use regularly, that they specifically and intentionally leave at level 2?

As in say a "civilian" for story based RP, and just high enough level to have walk unlocked.

Input appreciated.

• Like 2

I've known a number of players to make temporary characters on second accounts to use as extras in storylines. These are rarely leveled very high at all, if at all.  

Edit: 

I don't think there's a lot magic about level 2, other than walk power. I expect there would be a lot of level 1 disposable extras, and some might lock at level 2, but if you accidentally got a roleplay civilian to 3, 4, or 5, it wouldn't change the RP. 

Sometimes these characters are similarly named versions of a high level character, being used for some roleplay purpose that doesn't require high levels, like having purpose costumes preloaded for social events.

Edited by Andreah
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I know some people who will use it to make characters like police officers or just normal civilians for roleplay. 

These level 2 characters are typically not used beyond just roleplay.  Though I'm worried if an exception to level 2 roleplayers for names, suddenly, everyone is going to become roleplayers in order to hog names they don't intend to play/use. Give an inch, a good majority is going to use it to take a mile. 

Edited by luficia
Changing through to give
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I sometime do this, good way to keep secret identity separated... may even level them at a future date too!

But IF we are thinking using it for civilian identity, the chances two people want to sue the exact same combination of name or names and surnames is very slim and evne then almost endless work arounds

John Smith

John A. Smith

John B. Smith

etc

• Like 2

"Specifically and intentionally" left at 2 I don't know, but specifically gotten to at least 2 just for the sake of having Walk is very common. Probably have some like that on my roster but unless I needed to get them somewhere for a scene right away I probably leveled past 2 just because it's always fun smacking Hellions around for a while and/or the character justified a powerset combo I wasn't likely to otherwise try. In my own experience, these are generally not something a "desirable" name gets used for, usually just ordinary name names, maybe including a title ("Nate Carver" or "Huntsman Reynolds" being two of mine).

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the Nemissary and his Unquiet Bride as lvl 2 "NPC" characters here on Homecoming (Their "real" lvl 50+ incarnations are over on Paragon-)... I made them to interact in scenes with a friend's character. She was their adopted daughter.

I've never had any intention of leveling or building out the versions of the characters that I have out here, since I typically don't duplicate characters between the public and closed beta servers. 

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Yes, several.

They are just alternate versions of my main RP character, Direct Control, that I don't want to level/build appropriately. I have a 'shtick' of being an AI that pilots an arsenal of robots. A few of the ones that show up less / don't appeal to me OOC'ly in their mechanics/AT/powerset get left at level 2. They still get usage when they would be appropriate in the story/scene, or I'll break them out to use them as props in a 3-boxing scenario.

Edited by Direct Control
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, many, many. They may be civillians, they may be an alt contact or something. Basically, I do not conflate game level with Roleplaying power. It's a mechanic for progression of a game, that is all. Most of the time I pick things that are a 'best fit' for their power set, or something that just looks right regardless of the mechanical functions. I have alts who are PPD contacts, or Former Eidolons, or others who in my mind I classify as 'NPCs', because they are mostly there to be a mouth piece to present, enhance, or move forward a plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I pretty much never log into these forums, but I will this time so I can say this:

Can confirm.

Like everyone else has said, they're basically for the sake of having alts for RP characters. Either that or a joke character that I'll log into so I can make someone's day. :3

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a few. May not be "level 2" but are typically sub-level-10, often sub-level-5, depending on if they need a travel power or not. (I'm not counting base builders here, given the names are part of the reason for asking, I doubt anyone will by dying to get "Base builder 27" or whatnot.) Often if they get any level after 2, it's from fighting things to kill time.

I have zero reason to level them (well, other than the pending name release, in which case PL-in-a-farm.)

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

my villain group the Getaways has inside men and women as their henchmen.  while not level 2 they may walk around hero side and blend in with civilians and take normal jobs to serve as recon and sureveillance for upcoming heists.

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth, this afternoon I went in and got both Nem and the Bride to mighty level 6. It took about ten minutes of street-sweeping with a 2xXP booster running. 'Not exactly a difficult thing, in other words, even if you have a page of RP NPCs to do. Just tackle them one or two at a time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

I have a handful of toons that gain XP but don't train, hence they remain at level 1; I also have a few that only train until 10. I suppose you can say they're for RP, but RP solely for inside my head. the level 10s are my gimped toons whose powers didn't fully manifest. They're limited powers ranks them just above regular humans. The level 1's are my ubergimped: only T1/T2 primary, T1 secondary, brawl, sprint, stamina and health with one slot each (no P2W powers and no rest). nonetheless, they're trying to get through (select) missions with their limited powers.

• 2 months later

I had one he is now lvl 5 to meet the new dont lose the name requirment it dosent affect his limited rp as he iis a character I lend out to other sg's who ask assistance with base building projects. 

When you wake up seek the courage and strength to do the right thing.
Decide that this will be another day in which you Walk The Talk.

American Valor Sentinel of Liberty

RP Forums: Paragon University thread

FBSA Home Page

I have one character, Catalys (Catalina deVries) with a really weird power.  Close contact with Catalys unlocks mutations in others (something she is unaware of).  She's a superpower 'broker' in that she takes on jobs from various companies, government agencies, and the like, and then subcontracts them to supers with the appropriate skills.   Oddly enough, her social circle keeps developing powers for some reason!

I leveled her far enough so that she summons two mercs as her bodyguards.   She exists only as an origin hook for a few of my other characters. 

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

I have somewhere between 5 and 10 level 2 "walkers". Most made for just a one-shot NPC appearance, but a few are the real-life ID of a super, like "Mary Smith", the secret ID of Impervious Girl.

A couple are actual RP characters like a civilian detective or journalist, with a backstory and personality, for when you just don't want to always play a super. Regular people do wander into Pocket D all the time.

To be honest, though, (even though many of these characters should not have actual super-abilities) any who actually have importance or names I'd need to protect, I could level up to 5 in a few minutes without much trouble.

• 2 weeks later

I have a level 5 duel handguns that will never go above level 5. He would be your "normal" person who is adequate with the weapon he carries. I will join Hollows mission teams or do DFB if someone is having trouble building a team. I feel it doesn't go outside the scope of what he is capable of since that is low level content. 

• Like 1

Paragon Vanguard
Jerrin Bloodlette
Hughe
Luke Minhere
many others

• 2 months later

Yes. I have 10 I think npc only LVL 2 so they can walk. One works at icon and helps hero's make costumes. One is in city call and helps heros find there way around or brings new hero's to things like gift to register.  One is a nurse who gives out special inspirations to hero's to help them beat the bad guy. Others just wander the city and ask for help getting from work to home... Etc 

General reason behind it is RPing civs let's hero's get to RP a hero more and be special in the world. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kito said:

Yes. I have 10 I think npc only LVL 2 so they can walk. One works at icon and helps hero's make costumes. One is in city call and helps heros find there way around or brings new hero's to things like gift to register.  One is a nurse who gives out special inspirations to hero's to help them beat the bad guy. Others just wander the city and ask for help getting from work to home... Etc 

General reason behind it is RPing civs let's hero's get to RP a hero more and be special in the world. 

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE NAME OF THIS GAME IS??

• Thumbs Down 1

• 1 month later
On 7/15/2022 at 6:44 AM, GM Kal said:

Community question: 

Level 2 RP

Do you have, or do you know any folks that have a RP character they use regularly, that they specifically and intentionally leave at level 2?

As in say a "civilian" for story based RP, and just high enough level to have walk unlocked.

Input appreciated.

I have one not at level 2, but level 1, because he "lives" in Outbreak and will never leave.  He's a fire tank that I made back on Live, and again here, specifically to help new characters get the Isolator badge for defeating 100 Infected.  (While bantering in RP voice because he's a grumpy old veteran assisting the rookies and it amuses me.) He's also making (very slow) progress on the mentoring and damage badges.

(Very slow, because I've been out of game for a few... years, and I'm told many players nowadays enter through the Galaxy City tutorial and only go back for Isolator through Ouroboros, if at all.  Nevertheless, it really defeats the purpose for him to ever click on Coyote and un-retire...)

Outbreak bio.JPG

Outbreak badges F23.jpg

• Like 1

• GM Kal locked this topic